Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Welp, 9/11 again tomorrow, don't want to jump the gun,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Welp, 9/11 again tomorrow, don't want to jump the gun,

Sep 11, 2020, 12:16 AM

but the news is already starting with pre-coverage. I know we will have all the "where were you" threads in here, and stories of people you knew, and it's one of those things that I appreciate---over 19 years I've probably read each of your accounts multiple times, and I'll read em again---it's a poor choice of words, but I am glad we remind ourselves of it.

I'm not generally a "trigger warning" kind of guy, and I can pretty much stomach whatever, but one thing I still cannot do is watch footage of it, so I will probably just stay off any video-centric media. I've been by loved one's bedsides when they died...I've been the first on the scene to a car crash where a young man died in front of me....I've seen some upsetting stuff, and yet, watching those people who jumped in mid-air when they showed it live that day was hands down the most horrific thing I've ever seen, and I've never been able to handle watching it again.

So adios and good night, and I'll see ya'll tomorrow, and post for probably the 19th time where I was and what I remember from that day, and hope you do the same.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was in the tallest building in Columbia

Sep 11, 2020, 6:18 AM

At a construction meeting for attorneys offices that was my project. Walked out about 9am not knowing what had happened. Went back to office and logged onto Tnet. 3G was reporting on what happened. I was in total shock. We brought tv into lunch room. It was hard to watch. I was a mix of tears and anger. Went home and glued to tv. I knew some how the Saudis were involved in the attack.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was in the tallest building in Columbia

Sep 11, 2020, 6:27 AM

Watched on TV at home in San Francisco. When the 2nd building came down I left home and drove across the Golden Gate Bridge. There wasnt a car on the bridge it seemed like. There were probably a couple and I just forget. It was amazing how empty the roads were though. I went to a bar and had some drinks in shock that the Muslim terrorists pulled that off.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I ?? SF.....

Sep 11, 2020, 7:16 AM

Brother used to live in Cupertino.

Hey, I was in SF, too.

Sep 11, 2020, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Re: I was in the tallest building in Columbia ]

By the time I left for school everything had already happened, though I didn't know it yet. I stopped into a bodega on my way to school and a TV was reporting a terrorist attack and plane crash in PA. Seemed terrible, but not earth shattering. When I found out school was canceled I went back to my apartment, turned on the TV, and sat and watched in absolute shock. Growing up in NJ, the NY skyline is like a mountain range and seeing the WTC come down is like seeing a mountain collapse. It felt impossible. SF was eerily quiet that day. Everything was surreal.

Re: Hey, I was in SF, too.

Sep 11, 2020, 8:46 AM

Yeah it was 6 in the morning or something. I
I didn't see that hit live on tv. I turned the news on and it hit maybe 15 minutes before. Then the 2nd one hit while I was watching and it was clear what happened....terrorists.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

3rdG was working in Newark at the time.

Sep 11, 2020, 8:15 AM [ in reply to I was in the tallest building in Columbia ]

When he and his colleagues heard a plane hit one of the towers, they went to one of the top floors of their building to see what was going on. He and they saw the second plane hit with their naked eyes.

I didn't join Tnet until a year later, but I imagine it was a crazy day around here. And my understanding is the reason they set up the Lounge was because of all the 9/11 and related posts.

Jeez man, you're one of the few I know personally

Sep 11, 2020, 8:28 AM

who saw it. Can't imagine how surreal that must have been. I'm not sure my brain would have connected that what my eyes were telling me was reality.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

doh, misread your post, my bad.***

Sep 11, 2020, 8:35 AM

No, I slept through the whole thing.

Sep 11, 2020, 8:37 AM [ in reply to Jeez man, you're one of the few I know personally ]

My uncle, 3rdGeneration, saw it with his own eyes. And I'm with you - can't imagine what it must have been like. Pretty sure he was totally horrified.

Webb?

Sep 11, 2020, 8:56 AM

Is Webb your uncle? He is a really good dude. I knew him from the ESSO club back in the day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yup, that's him. Tended bar at the Esso, I believe.***

Sep 11, 2020, 9:07 AM

The lunge was created before 9/11 there

Sep 11, 2020, 8:34 AM [ in reply to 3rdG was working in Newark at the time. ]

Needed to be another Forum than the Mange. This way posts other than sports could be discussed. I remember 3G was right across the water and could see NYC clearly. Wish him well for me please. I believe he's your Uncle.

Will do!***

Sep 11, 2020, 8:38 AM

Definitely a somber day.

Sep 11, 2020, 9:09 AM

Growing up outside DC was surreal hearing the Pentagon was hit whenever I knew my dad was in DC that day. Hearing fellow classmates being called out of the school who had parents working in the Pentagon was scary.

The conspiracy theorists make me extra irritable on this day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I was in middle school taking a pop quiz

Sep 11, 2020, 9:13 AM

guidance counselor came in, whispered in my science teacher's ear. He looked shocked. Turned on the TV. Didn't do anything else the rest of the day. We might have been sent home early. I don't remember.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I was working for AT&T in Charlotte.

Sep 11, 2020, 9:20 AM

They had a cafeteria on-site and I had just run down to grab a breakfast sandwich...after paying for my food, I remember seeing a small group huddled around the TV, and I joined them and didn't move for 45 minutes staring at the screen in disbelief.

Lot of northern transplants in that office, so there was a ton of pure, raw panic about loved ones in the office. One VP from NYC, up until that point, had been one of the toughest and meanest people I'd ever encountered. She just turned into a mess and gathered everyone around and sent us home with instructions to hug our families. Rest of the day is a bit of a daze, but like others mentioned, I certainly sat around for a couple days pondering if the military would want and need a 26 year old enlistee like me.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic