Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I was AT the game, my thought during the game was ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

I was AT the game, my thought during the game was ...

Jan 24, 2018, 9:23 AM

"my gawt !, this is basketball's version of the Orange Bowl 2012 all over again !".

BUT, if you remember, we recovered quickly from that debacle, and in the years since, its all a distant memory ... it was like a bad date, a bad job, a bad meal, a bad movie, a bad beer, etc

You put it behind you and move on and act like it never happened

They hung early, but UVa defense is spectacular. Its incredible. Lads basically got frustrated and were rattled and never recovered.

Again, it was a bad game (very). Just move on a get ready for GT. Its one game at a time and we need to hit the magic number of 20 at LEAST, 22 would be better (much).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was AT the game, my thought during the game was ...

Jan 24, 2018, 9:32 AM

UNC PUT 49 ON UVA. IMAGINE WE COULD HAVE GOTTEN IN THE 40'S EASILY HAD BRAD LEFT THE STARTERS IN. WE PLAYED THE NEW GUYS THE LAST 5 OR 6 MINUTES. WE HAD ABOUT 3 SHOTS THAT WERE IN THE HOLE BUT CAME OUT IN THAT DROUGHT AT THE END OF THE HALF. AT SOME POINT I AM GUESSING THE GUYS JUST LOST CONFIDENCE. SATURDAY I A REALLY BIG GAME.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Believe he pulled the starters because they "gave up".

Jan 24, 2018, 9:39 AM

passing got really sloppy too ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Believe he pulled the starters because they "gave up".

Jan 24, 2018, 9:59 AM

OH I AGREE WITH THAT

Jan 24, 2018, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Believe he pulled the starters because they "gave up". ]

As I've posted before, ongoing frequent sloppy passing does seem to be a problem with this year's team, something I have not also seen at the same level with our opponents. So many turnovers as a result. And it does not seem to be improving much at all as the season continues. Coaches, make that a priority!

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2018, 10:08 AM

Could that be bc we were never a passing team until this year, and our guys just don't have that part of their in check yet???

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For some reason, ESPN blacklisted the game

Jan 24, 2018, 9:37 AM

I haven't been able to watch a game since Louisville, and looking at the score it was not pretty to say the least. But I share your sentiment that they'll bounce back from this. After all, they don't have much of a choice.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For some reason, ESPN blacklisted the game

Jan 24, 2018, 9:43 AM

It was on FoxSports, not ESPN. At least here in Charleston...

Re: For some reason, ESPN blacklisted the game

Jan 25, 2018, 9:52 AM [ in reply to For some reason, ESPN blacklisted the game ]

If it's blacked out on ESPN chances are it's being played on a different network.

Losing your leader on the court makes a difference in games

Jan 24, 2018, 9:42 AM

like this where you need to break out of a slump. I think we had a stretch where we didn't get a shot off in a run of about 8 minutes. Not missing shots.. no, didn't even shoot. Lost the ball, turned it over on a pass, got blocked, etc... craziest thing i've seen in a while. That's where your leadership steps up and jerks a knot in everyone's tail and they get their crap together. That didn't happen last night. Everyone just accepted the slump and kept doing the same thing. Only thing Brownell may could have done was call a timeout halfway through that to stop the momentum that UVA was creating but he didn't. That's the only thing I fault him on the rest was the players playing lazy and not anticipating the tight defense. Lazy dribbles, passes, and lack of anticipation give the opposition the leeway to get relaxed and take chances b/c they know you're just going to turn it over anyway. so thats why they started bombing 3's at the end. Why not?

Re: Losing your leader on the court makes a difference in games

Jan 24, 2018, 10:15 AM

Exactly. We lost our leader and then had to play the #2 team on the road in the very next game. That is not the kind of blow that a team like us can absorb easily; it ain't like we have two or three Mickey D's AAs on the bench waiting their turn.

Frankly, I wouldn't dwell on the tape a whole lot. I suspect they know what went wrong and will work to correct it. I hope they fix their eyes on the next game and grind on. If they do that, they will emerge at the end of the season with an NCAA bid.

This team has been surprisingly good. I know we will slump some without Grantham, but I hope we muscle through it and find a few young'uns who step up and help fill the gap to some degree. This can be a very good season.

Jan 24, 2018, 9:45 AM

> Lads basically got frustrated and were
> rattled and never recovered.

This is what concerns me. As a coach, it is your job to get the players to settle down and get back to basics ... get some confidence ... and make a game of it ... or at least a learn a lesson to use later.

I wasn't able to watch the game last night, but at the end of the Notre Dame game during a timeout with just a short time left and we were winning, Brownell looked frantic. His eyes were open wide, he was yelling and looking left and right like he was out of control. Not sure what that was.

It's the coach's job to retain his composure and "attempt" to transfer that confidence to the players. The players generally mimic that behavior. At least in that instance, his composure was sorely lacking.

Perhaps someone else can describe his demeanor in last night's game when the wheels fell off...

Jan 24, 2018, 10:02 AM

YOU DO REALIZE WE PLAYED SATURDAY, PROBABLY HAD THE MANDATORY DAY OFF ON SUNDAY THEN GOT TO TRAVEL TO UVA AND PRETTY MUCH HAVE A WALK THROUGH. WOULD HAVE BEEN MUCH EASIER IF ANY TEAM NOT NAMED UVA AT THEIR PLACE WAS ON THE SCHEDULE.

Jan 24, 2018, 12:17 PM

Always an excuse from you! Other teams have same sort of schedule.

Jan 24, 2018, 12:30 PM

thanks for stalking me once again spike.

Jan 24, 2018, 12:33 PM

F u you stalk every post in here Ned Beatty sweeping like a pig again

Jan 25, 2018, 8:17 AM

Hey look golfer23 another name I havnet seen posting about Basketball all year until this game.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Jan 24, 2018, 10:12 AM [ in reply to Re: I was AT the game, my thought during the game was ... ]

I say that it's sad that our BB coached don't have a floppy dic they can plug into our guys to fix the problems instantly as soon as they see a problem.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THIS IS YEAR 8***

Jan 24, 2018, 12:34 PM

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic