Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ok - "unprecendented penalties".... If I understand the term
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,224

Ok - "unprecendented penalties".... If I understand the term

Jul 22, 2012, 8:35 PM

"unprecedented" correctly .... and since the death penalty is "precedented" (SMU) ....

This SHOULD mean something GREATER than the death penalty .... right ?

Or is this just typical media hype that ignores proper English and what it means ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

schollys bowl bans and fines supposedly not going

Jul 22, 2012, 8:37 PM

to have it shut down at all (Death Penalty) but the totality of the punishment may be more damaging then a 1 year ban.

We will see.......seems like a lot of wrist slapping lately from the NCAA in other situations so we shall see....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think this can come into play..

Jul 22, 2012, 8:49 PM

Penn St may have to give their selves the death penalty. They did not abide by the Clery Act, which is controlled by the Dept of Education. The Dept of Education can cut off federal funds to the school. The Dept of Education disbursed over 476 million in federal student loans to Penn St. The football brought in 50 million. If Penn St loses that Federal money..the school will go under. If they give themselves a heafty penalty in football, the DOE is more likely not to cut those funds.

Self-sanctions could also head off any stricter actions by the Education Department or the NCAA.

Re: Ok - "unprecendented penalties".... If I understand the term

Jul 22, 2012, 8:38 PM

just means they are winging it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unprecedented b/c there's no investigation

Jul 22, 2012, 8:44 PM

They aren't going to launch an NCAA inquiry like usual. They are acting on the basis of the Freeh report.

Re: I want to see vacated wins

Jul 22, 2012, 8:51 PM

I don't want Paterno to hold the record.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is what I think will happen tomorrow. The University

Jul 22, 2012, 9:22 PM

President will agree to vacate a substantial number of wins, maybe even going back as far as 2001.

There may be an additional self imposed bowl ban for a year or two, or a few scholarships, but none of the numbers floated around earlier today.

The "unprecedented" piece of all this is that any penalties from this situation will not be related to the NCAA bylaws by which sanctions are normally delivered, including lack of institutional control as defined by the NCAA.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The football team will literally carry the university

Jul 22, 2012, 8:52 PM

on their back

According to the former Chairman of Infractions of the NCAA

Jul 22, 2012, 9:12 PM

on ESPN a few hours ago, the sanctions imposed tomorrow would have to be "self imposed". He is convinced that is what is going to happen, self imposed penalities by Penn State in an agreement with the University President and the NCAA, not sanctions delivered "by" the NCAA.

His point is one made by a handful of us on Tigernet over the last two days, anything outside of self imposed penalties would be outside the NCAA bylaws.

The former Chairman was even asked directly by ESPN if the "lack of institutional control" penalty applied to Penn State, and the former Chairman said no, as the problems are legal and moral, and not tied to the NCAA governing bylaws. Any sanctions tomorrow involving loss of scholarship or bowls, if not self imposed, would be a violation of those NCAA bylaws. Any actions not self imposed would require the due process of review by the Committee of Infractions, and an opportunity for Penn State to respond to the Committee's review. None of that has occurred, and Penn State has not been accused of violating any current NCAA bylaws, including the NCAA's definition of "lack of institutional control".

For all those reasons, he is convinced whatever happens tomorrow could only be a recommendation to the NCAA by the Penn State President.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are going to kill P.S.U. twice

Jul 22, 2012, 9:13 PM

Just to make sure they're dead

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,224
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic