Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hate it for the players
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Hate it for the players

Mar 18, 2015, 10:50 AM

My baseball preseason thoughts:

The only way Jack is outta here is if the season is a disaster. But, if it is a disaster, I really, really hate it for the kids that chose Clemson to have that type of season. Kids who are playing at a collegiate level have sacrificed a great deal to get where they are. Years of travel/showcase tournaments (which means jammed packed weekends), practices (I'm sure daily), private lessons (weekly), pretty much year round ball, etc. And, I'm sure that they loved every second of it because if they didn't they wouldn't have made those sacrifices. But, I'm also sure that they hate where the team is just as much as the fans do.

My thoughts now:

I think we all could agree that the overwhelming majority of collegiate athletes are fierce competitors. They don't like to lose. The fun is in the winning and right now, I'm sure the baseball team is beyond frustrated and disappointed.
So, as fans, do you hope the season continues in this tailspin so Jack will be gone? Or, do you hope that somehow it turns around for the kids who have chosen Clemson? Would a successful turnaround mean Jack stays? Or, at this point, is Jack gone regardless?

It just really sucks that the program is in this state, but the people I hate it most for are the kids.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hate it for the players

Mar 18, 2015, 10:56 AM

Well not to sound harsh...but if they indeed did spend all the time on the diamond and with private lessons and such, we should not feel sorry for them, they just need to field routine ground balls, work on pickoff plays, run the bases, and make the routine plays that are expected of collegiate baseball players...I for one say that they will do this things.

Mar 18, 2015, 11:00 AM

*these things

Mar 18, 2015, 11:17 AM

I do not believe the administration will get rid of Leggett, no matter the outcome of this year. I think he has one year left after this year. His play will be "just let me finish out my contract and then I will retire". I think they will play his game again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll bite

Mar 18, 2015, 11:37 AM

As a Clemson grad and fan I hope jack can turn it around and Clemson wins out and goes to the college world series. I want the player's to experience winning and all that comes with it. You're obviously in-tune with what it takes as a player to get to a destination baseball program like Clemson. The kids deserve to be well coached and to supported by the University. I think if Clemson makes a Super Regional he definitely stays. It's too early to tell, but things aren't shaping up well so far this season for Clemson, or Jack.

But, my gut tells me the same thing it's been telling me for a few seasons. Jack Leggett has run out of gas and he's not coaching up to Clemson's standards.

My son is a sophomore and plays for an in-state travel program that commits kids to Clemson, USC, College of Charleston, Winthrop, The Citadel, etc.... every year. He'd love to play for Clemson. On the other hand, he watches Clemson struggle like the rest of us and has said repeatedly he doesn't want to play for Jack Leggett. You hit the nail on the head, as tough as it is for us to watch it's got to be tough on the players. I feel for the kids, and the fans (in that order).

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I usually stay out of the fire ******* or whoever it is but

Mar 18, 2015, 12:00 PM

I honestly believe (and have for quite some time now) that it is time for Jack to go. Haven't we been in this same situation for the past 3 or 4 years? Anyone that would say to give him another year or two just aren't being real with themselves, this thing is over and has been....time to move or the AD will lose credibility as well for not making the move that needs to be made. Just my opinion.

Re: I usually stay out of the fire ******* or whoever it is but

Mar 18, 2015, 3:37 PM

I sure agree that the program has been in steady decline now for 5-10 years and still the Clemson admin and BOT and A/D DO NOTHING!!IMHO it will take several years for us to recover even if we get rid of that CANCER immediately after this loosing season is over..he has drug our once proud program down to new lows and still he thinks everything is just fine!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I usually stay out of the fire ******* or whoever it is but

Mar 18, 2015, 3:46 PM

It is one thing to want a coach fired and it is time. But to call a man who has honorably served CU for over 20 years a Cancer. That is Loathsome.

The program has been in a steady decline for years now....

Mar 18, 2015, 12:37 PM

and the administration has made the conscious decision to do nothing about it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The program has been in a steady decline for years now....

Mar 18, 2015, 3:50 PM

So you feel sorry for the players. The ones on the field that are actually making the errors and the bad pitches and striking out on called 3rd strikes without protecting plate. Those players? ok. This isnt little league, you cant blame Leggett for every mistake and strikeout. Not giving Leggett and Pep an out here, but its not all on the coaches.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The program has been in a steady decline for years now....

Mar 18, 2015, 4:10 PM

Yes....I stand by what I said....I do feel sorry for the players because I feel like at this point, it is most definitely a coaching issue or disconnect. And to be quite honest.....I just want it "fixed," whether that means with or without Leggett.
I mean....look at the talent he's recruited. While everything I'm sure is not Leggett's fault, he's in charge. He makes or breaks the team chemistry. And right now, this team is not fundamentally sound. Pitch calls are backwards, bad defense, and bad base running.
So, I'm sorry at the end of the day, to me, that is all on coaching. Now, that is my little opinion - and you know what they say about opinions - but I sticking to it!
Thanks for the discussion though.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic