Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Venables sees the good in Saturday's effort despite yardage and point numbers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Venables sees the good in Saturday's effort despite yardage and point numbers

Sep 3, 2013, 5:22 PM

Venables sees the good in Saturday's effort despite yardage and point numbers

The Georgia Bulldogs rang up 545 yards of total offense and scored 35 points on Clemson's defense Saturday night, but defensive coordinator Brent Venables says he saw some good things out of his defense, including middle linebacker Stephone Anthony. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hard to be sold on Venables.

Sep 3, 2013, 9:29 PM

He's the reason we arent a top 4 team right now.

So you want steele back

Sep 3, 2013, 9:40 PM

I suppose......good lord

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Reggie Herring

Sep 3, 2013, 9:46 PM

we gots who we gots

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get a clue!!!!***

Sep 3, 2013, 9:44 PM [ in reply to Hard to be sold on Venables. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hard to be sold on Venables.

Sep 3, 2013, 9:51 PM [ in reply to Hard to be sold on Venables. ]

I was fixin to light in on your ### until I read the body of that post. good work +1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 4, 2013, 7:44 PM [ in reply to Hard to be sold on Venables. ]

You've got to be kidding. You just don't turn around a lousey defense in one year. We are gradually getting away from the finesse mentality that Bowden saddeled us with. They made some mistakes, but on the line of scrimmage manhandled a very good UGA OL. And we'll get better and better. More power to Venables as he re-installs the warrior mentality in our defense.

Sep 4, 2013, 8:05 PM

Hate to agree but have to. Yeah, the stats are not great but uga is a really good offense. Really good. Plus the pace of the clemson offense means yalls defense plays more. Stats aside, what stood out to me was the effort. The clemson defense started off with intensity and still had it at the end of the game. If they play with that intensity against average offenses the stat line will look much better. Even with all the points uga scored that was the most impressed I have been with the clemson defense in years, including the lsu game. A completely different mindset than the defenses under steele, which would have gotten frustrated and quit saturday night. Still not ready to be an elite defense, in my opinion, but definitely headed the right direction if for nothing more than the obvious motivation that has been instilled. I cant believe anyone who just went through steele would be unhappy with what they are seeing from venables. Thats coming from someone who really hoped venables would suck.

But we are a top 4 team?***

Sep 3, 2013, 9:43 PM

yeah but we could be three***

Sep 3, 2013, 9:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: But we are a top 4 team?***

Sep 4, 2013, 7:47 PM [ in reply to But we are a top 4 team?*** ]

Yes, but you have to remember that he can't read.

I bet his defense doesn't feel that way. Matter-of-fact,

Sep 3, 2013, 9:55 PM

I'd say they are still humble and focused on shutting somebody complely down for four quarters.

From now on when some random player from another group says, "I'm looking forward to playing in Death Valley," you can bet he'll be a band member and not a football player.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: response to Clemson win and ap ranking

Sep 3, 2013, 9:56 PM

Just wanted to say the shots from the bus voyage was bad ### and I'm a #### fan! Good team overall Clemson, how y'all leaped frogged us in the ap is beyond me. Y'all beat ga by 3. ##### been whipping georgia' ### for three straight years and y'all's hiney for four straight! They won't drop 545 and 35 on us! ##### 30-17! Hello!

What a tremendous command of the English language you have

Sep 3, 2013, 9:59 PM

You must have almost gotten into SC Jr. Tech.

Welcome to tigernet.

Re: What a tremendous command of the English language you have

Sep 3, 2013, 10:08 PM

To whom is this directed? Seriously, I can't tell.

Re: What a tremendous command of the English language you have

Sep 3, 2013, 10:10 PM [ in reply to What a tremendous command of the English language you have ]

Never mind, I see now that it was to the ignorant coot.

Pollsters use coot logic and don't look at history

Sep 3, 2013, 10:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: response to Clemson win and ap ranking ]

The polls only cover this year. Pre-season polls do look at last year a bit though. If you guys beat UGA this weekend you'll jump us. Lose to them and you'll drop to #15. Better hope Clowney doesn't have another "stomach virus" :)

Sep 4, 2013, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: response to Clemson win and ap ranking ]

Probably has something to do with the fact that the pollsters consider THIS YEAR...not last year.

I know that's almost impossible for you to grasp...but at least try.

We kinda beat UGA by 10. Prevent D traded last 7 for clock.***

Sep 4, 2013, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: response to Clemson win and ap ranking ]

Sep 4, 2013, 7:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: response to Clemson win and ap ranking ]

Hello! You will be stomped by UGA. Get back on your medication. I'm just wondering what excuse Spurrier will come up after this A$$ whipping.

Bumping this to quiet our feathered friend***

Sep 28, 2013, 7:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: response to Clemson win and ap ranking ]

63-17

I'm sorry but any defense that gives up 545 yds and 35 pts

Sep 4, 2013, 8:45 AM

did NOT play well. I think the DL played well for about 6 drives, but other than that the defense sucked.

Re: I'm sorry but any defense that gives up 545 yds and 35 pts

Sep 4, 2013, 8:59 AM

> did NOT play well. I think the DL played well for
> about 6 drives, but other than that the defense
> sucked.

VERY VERY WRONG.

Ask any Dawg fan, they thought they'd win if they held us to

Sep 4, 2013, 9:09 AM [ in reply to I'm sorry but any defense that gives up 545 yds and 35 pts ]

38 points. The key was for the defense to hold a few times and they did.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only six drives?

Sep 4, 2013, 9:44 AM [ in reply to I'm sorry but any defense that gives up 545 yds and 35 pts ]

That's weird because the article says after the first 4 drives UGA only put up 7 points in their next 10 drives. Seems like 9 drives in there resulting in no points. Were 3 of those scoreless drives not good enough for you?

I thought they played well once the intial run...

Sep 4, 2013, 9:47 AM [ in reply to I'm sorry but any defense that gives up 545 yds and 35 pts ]

of 21 pts. was over. Thast last drive was a coaching blunder by Venables....going in the prevent and got absolutely smoked down the field. With a 10 pt lead we should have played them straight up as we were getting some great pressure with our front 4 all night long.

I read somewhere that BV didn't want to go prevent, but

Sep 4, 2013, 9:54 AM

Was overruled. Looks like Dabo was micromanaging on that one...

I could see that..***

Sep 4, 2013, 10:56 AM

Re: I could see that..***

Sep 4, 2013, 8:00 PM

Dabo should leave the defense to Venables, and concentrate on our "other" receivers not dropping passes.

Dabo would never coach in cootville. You're on the wrong

Sep 4, 2013, 8:09 PM

board.

Re: I read somewhere that BV didn't want to go prevent, but

Sep 4, 2013, 8:03 PM [ in reply to I read somewhere that BV didn't want to go prevent, but ]

Pretty sure BV said the prevent was his call. He could be taking the blame from Dabo but I don't think so.

What I read that it was Venables' call. Makes sense.***

Sep 4, 2013, 8:08 PM [ in reply to I read somewhere that BV didn't want to go prevent, but ]

Where did you read that?***

Sep 4, 2013, 8:14 PM [ in reply to I read somewhere that BV didn't want to go prevent, but ]

Re: I thought they played well once the intial run...

Sep 4, 2013, 7:57 PM [ in reply to I thought they played well once the intial run... ]

Amen.

playing one of best O's plus best rusher - goalline stand

Sep 4, 2013, 10:34 AM [ in reply to I'm sorry but any defense that gives up 545 yds and 35 pts ]

And forced turnovers + four sacks - d at best when gambling and aggressive. A prevent d is picked apart with a good QB like Murray. Go Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm optimistic. D was OK after 3 drives. Last TD- prevent D.

Sep 4, 2013, 1:08 PM

Clemson's D gave up 3 TDs and 247 yards to start the game, but once they settled in (or settled their nerves down) they did reasonably well against one of the best offenses (and arguably the best backfield) in the country. UGA's last TD (a 64-yd drive) was under a prevent defense where our coaching staff chose to essentially trade yards & points for clock to preserve the win. (And the coaching staff chose to go conservative on offense with 3 straight clock-burning, predictable, runs thereby giving UGA their final possession.) Maybe it's ridiculous to say, but if you took out the first 3 TD drives and the final prevent-D drive, Clemson gave up 234 yards-- which isn't all the bad against such a great offense.

If the D hadn't been so jittery to start the season under so much pressure (which I'm optimistic they won't be in future games), Clemson would have likely had more possessions, more points, the D would have been considered pretty impressive. I'm optimistic that Clemson's D will be fine from here on out. I also expect UGA's D to improve as the season progresses (hopefully starting against SCar).

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic