Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I don't like this authors realignment proposals
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

I don't like this authors realignment proposals

Jul 7, 2014, 10:35 AM

I get the impression he still thinks of of as a basketball first conference.
Hope none of this happens.

http://247sports.com/Article/Virginia-Tech-NC-State-to-the-SEC-and-more-29491711

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: I don't like this authors realignment proposals

Jul 7, 2014, 10:47 AM

What a complete DA. The more realistic scenario.

1. Years down the road WVU realizes that the Big 12 isn't an option for them to stay competitive

2. ND is wishy washy about committing full time and we tell them to kick rocks and go get WVU to round a out a legit conference.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd love that. ******

Jul 7, 2014, 10:58 AM

null

I don't like most of that, but his logic is pretty good.

Jul 7, 2014, 10:58 AM

Although I question these:

1) He calls NCSU "more football-centric". I'm not sure that's true. Pretty balanced, I'd say. They're football-centric relative to UNC and Duke, sure.

2) I think he's discounting the state legislatures of NC and VA with the idea of VT or NCSU going to the SEC. Unless the ACC is assured stability and success, those governments will NOT let VT and NCSU leave. Maybe VA would if the Big Ten came calling for UVA simultaneously, but I think the NC government would still balk at damaging Duke and Wake because there's big money there.

3) Notre Dame fits in the Big Ten geographically and that's it. But their fan base is not regional, it's national. They are actually a much better fit for the ACC otherwise. They are a smaller, elite liberal arts private college. Much better fit with BC (also Catholic), Duke, Wake and Miami. Their fanbase is more east coast than midwest.

4) I know I'm in the minority, but I'd be thrilled if we added WV. I just hate seeing a traditional football school have to travel that far. I realize they don't compare academically but this is sport. I'd take them in a heart beat (if we didn't have to pay).

5) I don't like the idea of UConn joining but if that helps us (along with Syracuse) get the NY market, so be it. If UVA and VT have followings in DC, then the Maryland departure gets minimized. Also, as much as we don't want to be in a "basketball" conference, if we do ever get an ACC network going, I think basketball will be worth a goldmine. A conference with Syracuse, UConn, Pitt, Louisville, Duke, UNC and NCSU? Great stuff.

null

Re: I don't like most of that, but his logic is pretty good.

Jul 7, 2014, 1:47 PM

1 If we are going to lose a NC school it should be WF or Dook. NCS has a much more historic football value IMO than either.

2. You're dead on about the NC government and their control over NCS, dedication to DOOK and UNCheat.

3. ND is the only prize out there. When they are passed for seeding in the playoff and they figure out it's because they lack participation in a CCG they'll come around.

4. I'm not interested in signing another jr college after UL but if they'll agree to work with the ACC schools to bring things up to par and we are sure that there's absolutely no chance at ND then yes. I could go along with WVU.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love tradition and Wake Forest is ACC tradition. So I'm

Jul 7, 2014, 1:55 PM

all for them being a part of the league. But let's not delude ourselves - NO ONE is coming after Wake. They are not a big sell in ANY revenue sport, they're NO ONE's rival, and they have a tiny fan base. Duke might get picked up if UNC protects them or someone wants the great basketball team, but if there's a major reshuffle, Wake is toast.

null

The Big 10 took Maryland!***

Jul 7, 2014, 3:18 PM

Yes, to get the TV subscribers in a major metro area.

Jul 7, 2014, 4:06 PM

Wake does not offer that.

null

with all the campfires surrounding the nc2a castle, there

Jul 7, 2014, 11:11 AM

might be a better chance at the storied "mega conference" and tell the nc2a to pound sand.

i think this is jc needing something to talk about this was the easiest to reach in the cupbored.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: with all the campfires surrounding the nc2a castle, there

Jul 7, 2014, 11:26 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

you still a virgin?

Jul 7, 2014, 11:27 AM

'88 could help you with that...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw ewe!

Jul 7, 2014, 1:49 PM

Not like that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: with all the campfires surrounding the nc2a castle, there

Jul 7, 2014, 1:51 PM [ in reply to with all the campfires surrounding the nc2a castle, there ]

Yep, they've rolled over and shown signs of weakness. The sharks in the moat may feast on their flesh instead of their enemies.

Jul 7, 2014, 11:35 AM

I think this guy is an idiot.

Here's what I think is more likely to happen.

The big 5 will be in a division of their own. Alabama and Georgia State vying for the same trophy is absurd.

The big 5 will all move to 16 teams to form an 80 team division.

SEC adds 2 of Southern Florida, UAB, UCF, Southern Miss

ACC eventually gets ND to join the conference fully after a combination of playoff entry being easier for conference members that play a CG and tv contact money becoming equal or better in conferences. ACC also grabs 1 of UCF, Cinci, Southern Florida.

B1G grabs 2 of UCONN, Cinci, Army, Navy, NIU

Big 12 grabs 6 of Rice, Houston, SMU, BYU, N. Texas, Utah St., N. Mexico, N. Mexico St.

Pac grabs 2 of Boise St, Fresno St., SDSU, San Jose St., N. Mex, N. Mexico St., Nevada, Utah St.

Playoff goes to 8 teams and stays at 8 teams.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

careful, 117 is axing a lot of kweshtons...***

Jul 7, 2014, 11:37 AM

I wish he'd just get to the point and ask ewe out already

Jul 7, 2014, 11:42 AM

no one likes someone dancing around. Waste of everyone's time

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Jul 7, 2014, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't like this authors realignment proposals ]

"SEC adds 2 of Southern Florida, UAB, UCF, Southern Miss

ACC eventually gets ND to join the conference fully after a combination of playoff entry being easier for conference members that play a CG and tv contact money becoming equal or better in conferences. ACC also grabs 1 of UCF, Cinci, Southern Florida."

What are your thoughts about the current TV-Market-Motivated expansions? Would another team in Florida or Mississippi be of any value to the SEC? For that matter, do we need/want a THIRD Florida team? IF we go to 16 teams, I think the probability order for the 16th would be Navy, UConn or Cincy (if ND joined) and UConn, WVU, Cincy, Navy (if ND didn't join).

null

Jul 7, 2014, 12:50 PM

WVU will stay with the big12. No conference is going to add them knowing their tv rights and money are held by the big12.

I think for the most part conferences have expanded their tv markets as much as they can without going outside of their geographic region extremely and I don't see that happening.

The SEC could go into NC but they're not going to get an ACC team for the same reason no one will get WV. ACC will hold acc team tv rights for a very long time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Any movement by WVU out of the Big 12 would have to involve

Jul 7, 2014, 4:09 PM

the Big 12 looking to expand in a different direction and negotiating an amicable release of West Virginia. Unlikely, yes, but not impossible. WVU is not a fit for the Big 12. I doubt the Big 12 members care about the high quality WV recruiting talent they have exposure to. IF no programs on the east coast are going to come to the Big 12 (and between the strength of the Big Ten and SEC and the GOR in the ACC, it would be highly unlikely that any of them would), the Big 12 may decide to cut bait and go fish in better waters.

Or maybe the Big 12 could dissolve. Who knows?

null

I agree with some of this, but I think its more than likely

Jul 7, 2014, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't like this authors realignment proposals ]

that the ACC will lobby for and push for Navy.

1) a historical rival of Notre Dame
2) further clamps down the eastern seaboard, and regains the Baltimore/DC TV market(more Navy fans than Twerp fans)
3) Academic fit
4) ..... small but somewhat significant.... Navy is a big Lacrosse school, a annual national title contender. With the other schools in the ACC, it would make for a fantastic lacrosse league.

on a quasi-related note .... Clemson needs to hope on the lacrosse bandwagon ricky tick. The club team already has significant support, now the AD needs to get on board.

also dont forget the prestige and viewership of the

Jul 7, 2014, 12:44 PM

Army-Navy game.

Navy brings A LOT of value.

Re: I agree with some of this, but I think its more than likely

Jul 7, 2014, 12:51 PM [ in reply to I agree with some of this, but I think its more than likely ]

I could see that.

Re: The author is a coot, so keep that in mind when you read

Jul 7, 2014, 11:51 AM

his "articles".

I think we will be down to 4 "Power" Conferences at 16 teams

Jul 7, 2014, 12:10 PM

pretty soon. New "upper division" in CFB. Four 16-team conferences for a total of 64 teams and an 8-team playoff.

Big 12 gets poached (Grant of Rights is void if there are no teams left for a Big 12 to exist) and this is what happens:

Pac: adds Texas, TTU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St/Boise St to get to 16 (the blueprint is already in place)

B1G: adds Kansas, UConn to get to 16

ACC: adds WVU, forces Notre Dame to join full-time if they want a home in the new division to get to 16

SEC: adds Kansas St, Oklahoma St (if the Pac doesn't take them) or TCU/Baylor (or some other Texas team), to get to 16

Split each conference into 2 geographic divisions, only play other teams in the upper-division conferences.

Conference championship games become the first round of the 8-team playoff, winner of each conference is in the 4-team playoff.

There will be some casualties, sure, but if Texas ever gets the notion to bolt, the Big 12 is dead.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought that the new exit fees were so large in

Jul 7, 2014, 12:50 PM

the ACC/Big XII that it would not be possible to leave one of these conferences.

Re: I thought that the new exit fees were so large in

Jul 7, 2014, 6:40 PM

The grant of rights can be beat by a good team of lawyers. As the years pass, the payout will be less, and thus the risk of leaving less and eventually someone will challenge it, and they'll likely settle for a reasonable amount.

Agree with CUATFL. Article is absurd..

Jul 7, 2014, 4:40 PM

Most VaTech fans dont even have color TV's, some still waiting for electricity.

Recruiting front must be really slow if this is all JC can come up with this week.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2014, 9:32 PM

I dont see the Board of Regents for NCSU approving a move to the SEC as they serve the same role for UNC. Regardless nothing like this will even be contemplated until probably 2020 (at the earliest) given the grant of rights (and that assumes the school figures they can challenge it and actually win it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic