Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tigernet is ridiculous.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1,500

Tigernet is ridiculous.

Mar 20, 2013, 1:10 AM

How many times has TNet endorsed a coach after a lousy season? Every time. Patience is preached while anyone with an objective opinion is marginalized.

Clemson basketball will not get better next year. Save this post, screen shot it if you must, but Clemson will not be a better team just because three guys (who lack serious experience) look good in a shoot around. Brad Brownell is Larry Shyatt Jr. His wins are decreasing. More to the point, Barnes and Purnell each increased the number of wins in each of their first three seasons.

Of course, I don't blame Brownell. I think he's in over his head. I blame TDP. Under Terry Don Phillips, Clemson regressed in nearly every sport. Remember when Clemson soccer was a big deal? Or when winning the ACC Baseball Tournament was something Clemson did almost every spring? Or golf? What the hell happened to Tiger golf?

Clemson athletics, as a whole, is in bad shape. One ACC football title may satisfy some, it doesn't satisfy me. TDP was a terrible AD (see: Tommy Bowden contract). I'm glad he's gone. Like Brownell, he was in over his head.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hadn't heard that before...

Mar 20, 2013, 1:18 AM

Larry Shyatt is doing a good job at Wyoming right now. I wonder why Junior uses a fake name instead of just calling himself Larry Shyatt Jr.? It's really odd.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He doesn't use his real name because he used to be in the

Mar 20, 2013, 1:21 AM

Mafia...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

whoa...

Mar 20, 2013, 11:58 AM

I bet he could help me with my Tigerpulse research

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think this post is kind of ridiculous

Mar 20, 2013, 2:21 AM

You're making all these absolutes about a coach that just had his first losing season in 11 years as a head coach. To me that's pretty silly.

Now I'm not gonna sit here and defend this season. It was poor, it was ugly and we can't have another season like this again.

I'm willing to give Brownell the benefit of the doubt though. There were a lot of things that I saw that I liked his first 2 seasons. I think he is an excellent coach when it comes to x's and o's and I think he is a very good teacher of the game.

This year we seemed snakebit from the start. Injuries hurt us, then a transfer popped up. Not to mention we had absolutely zero leadership to guide a young team. It seemed like the perfect storm for disaster.

I also think Brownell had a bigger transition in creating his team after taking over for OP. I liked OP and I liked his style. But OP left us not the other way around. OP seemed to go more for the athlete than the basketball player. He wanted up tempo and he wanted his defense to create offense. When teams took care of the ball and forced us into the half court that's when we got in trouble. It seemed to me teams in the tournament were able to do that and we struggled in those games. Brownell wants to play the exact opposite and he likes a halfcourt game that needs fundamental basketball players and good shooters. We've struggled to adjust to that so far.

The departure of our last 2 seniors marks the end of that regime. To me they were just poor fits for Brownell's style and unfortunately we had nobody else to lean on. We did have some flashes of hope from some guys at the end of the year and I hope that continues. As guys get healthy and others mature I hope we start to grow a bit as a team and our offense starts to flow better.

One thing is for sure, I don't want to see another season like this again. It was almost unbearable to watch sometimes. Sometimes that happens though. I've seen it at Duke, I've seen it a UNC. We're certainly not a program that is immune to it.

I do think Brownell is a good coach though. Is he a good fit for Clemson? Well, that remains to be seen. Time will tell how well he can lead us and progress definitely has to be made next year. The jury is still out if it will happen though. I just think that it is waaaay to early to jump the gun on a new coach and saying he can't turn things around is absolutely premature. That's my 2 cents.

Re: I think this post is kind of ridiculous

Mar 20, 2013, 6:23 AM

And HIS team beat the coots this year

Re: I think this post is kind of ridiculous

Mar 20, 2013, 10:58 AM

Yeah....any time a Carolina fan talks crap about our basketball program, I at least get to throw that in their face for the next year.

Re: Tigernet is ridiculous.

Mar 20, 2013, 8:11 AM

total aggreement here.time for change for clemson for the future of our basketball program.

Hooray Clemson Tiger Football!

Mar 20, 2013, 8:18 AM

Go Clemson Tigers football team!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Tigernet is ridiculous.

Mar 20, 2013, 8:17 AM

I totally agree you are ridiculous.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Yarn. You need to go back to sleep and let Clemson

Mar 20, 2013, 8:44 AM

move forward.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Objective opinion"? Opinions are inherently subjective...

Mar 20, 2013, 8:56 AM

You cannot possibly judge Brownell based on this year anymore than you can judge him based on his first year (NCAA Tournament).

He's had some extenuating circumstances which are well documented but ignored by some on here for some reason--midnight departure, late-game hire, lost recruiting class, lack of depth from Purnell, rash of transfers and injuries.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's a fresh perspective on things on a Wed morning***

Mar 20, 2013, 8:58 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's true that Golf, Soccer, Basket & Base Ball have gone

Mar 20, 2013, 11:04 AM

South during his tenue..but FB got going due to some hires, more determination & more money.

Saying, just how bad was he...and his successor isn't thought of well at GT due to his lowing their programs.

Geez! Confusing.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's true that Golf, Soccer, Basket & Base Ball have gone

Mar 20, 2013, 11:09 AM

Brownell deserves another year, get over it man.

I told you we should have fired Dabo!

Mar 20, 2013, 12:14 PM

LOL. What a dummy.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1,500
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic