Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I think the Clemson offense is very close to being very very
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

I think the Clemson offense is very close to being very very

Nov 5, 2017, 1:35 PM

Good, they’re just missing one key element. That key element in my mind a big physical WR at the 9 spot, I really think they should move Cain back inside to split time with Ray Ray. I think this offense would be much better with Overton or Higgins on the outside, Cain just isn’t big enough to make those tough downfield catches that Williams made last year. Cain is a speed guy and can run by any DB and would be better suited inside.

Our offense struggled last year until Watson and Williams started to connect on the deep jump balls, Cain just doesn’t have the size or leaping ability to make those plays.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think the Clemson offense is very close to being very very

Nov 5, 2017, 1:39 PM

I think the key element that's missing is DW4...

Kidding aside, I agree, a Mike Williams type game-changer is glaringly missing from this wr group

Nov 5, 2017, 2:24 PM

I don’t know why you are kidding...you’re right.

Watson doesn’t miss 4 wide open WRs....especially on a deep post with 7 yards between receiver and defender

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Your memory is faulty

Nov 5, 2017, 4:35 PM

Deshaun missed a ton of deep throws last year, especially the first 7-8 games

yep...

Nov 5, 2017, 5:02 PM

Correct. It was my biggest worry with Watson.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think that is the missing component

Nov 5, 2017, 1:40 PM

I think the missing components are the lack of throwing to the short/intermediate area of the middle of the field and the lack of utilization of the TE and RB passing game. This is compounded by poor execution in key areas that cover this up. Kelly has been inconsistent throwing the ball and often overthrows his target.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: I don't think that is the missing component

Nov 5, 2017, 2:01 PM

Agreed 100%

Get the RBs the short throws and it will change everything

Re: I don't think that is the missing component

Nov 5, 2017, 2:19 PM [ in reply to I don't think that is the missing component ]

^^Yep. Crossing route (shallow or deep) & slants are missing too. There seems to be a flood of the outs, curls & 9 routes in the playbook. I’ve wondered if its KB of just the offensive philosophy.

I think with KBs accuracy issues we are intentionally not

Nov 5, 2017, 3:28 PM

Throwing to the center of the field.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly!

Nov 5, 2017, 4:04 PM

If he skies a throw to the outside, incomplete. If he skies one down the middle, the safety will take it away.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Nov 5, 2017, 1:40 PM

0 for 10 last night on passes over 15 yards makes me think it isn’t entirely a receiver issue.

not all receiver issue. Thompson and Cain had their

Nov 5, 2017, 2:24 PM

men smoked and Bryant under threw them. Thompson however was interfered with but no call. right before the half Bryant threw a pretty nice ball right over the defenders head, although the defender was in good position Cain should have caught it. the ball went right through his hands. think we missed a fg right after that. bryant airmailed many throws as he has done in several games this year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2017, 1:41 PM

I agree with you. However, the receiving core performed at a high level yesterday. Great routes and separation... KB just had a poor day throwing and missed several touchdown passes. If KB is sharper throwing the ball it would have been a blow out. Not hating on KB but yesterday may have been his worst passing game.

Nov 5, 2017, 1:43 PM

He did not throw well

Nov 5, 2017, 1:49 PM

I think another key is doing better on first down. We usually doing a running play up the middle for a two yard gain. Need to get four or better on first down. That makes second and third down a much easier call.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2017, 2:22 PM

TE was consistently busting 4-5 yards on first down. Then it’d be pass-pass-punt. Play calling still doesn’t seem to be in favor of the running game no matter what

Nov 5, 2017, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: I think the Clemson offense is very close to being very very ]

It wasn’t just yesterday even though yesterday was likely his worst day.

KB is simply not very accurate on anything 20 yards or longer. It has been that way all season. Even on the ones he has connected, most of the time the receiver had to slow down or stop for the catch resulting in an immediate tackle with no yards after the catch where if he had accurately hit the receiver in stride, it would have been a footrace to the end zone. On the rest, he has just flat out missed the receiver. He is a great running QB and is accurate on the short throws, he just doesn’t have the touch of a good passing QB for the medium to deep throws.

Nov 5, 2017, 1:58 PM

with what we have coming in this January maybe he moves to receiver or running back...

Nov 5, 2017, 2:20 PM

What? KB will be the starting QB next season!

QB cant hit the long ball is what's missing.***

Nov 5, 2017, 1:58 PM

KB had at least 3 jump ball throws that the WR just didn’t

Nov 5, 2017, 2:14 PM

Go up and get the ball. You only need to hit 1 or 2 of those a game to open the middle of the field.

Nov 5, 2017, 2:00 PM

Cain isn't our problem. He has been open every game and our qb failed to get the ball to him. Good gracious, let's not be critical, last year's offense is playing on Sunday. I'm amazed at what we've done missing so many superstars from last year.

Nov 5, 2017, 2:17 PM

I didn’t say Cain was a problem. I said his skill set is better suited for an inside WR.

Nov 5, 2017, 2:25 PM

This won't be popular but the truth is, we need a better downfield passing game. KB just isn't a pure downfield passer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Nov 5, 2017, 2:49 PM

Our wide receivers are a wasted resource this year. This is not a knock on KB2 but the truth is, he is not a good passer. He's a phenomenal runner, especially on the counter. Which leads me to say (again) that I don't understand why with a running quarterback who is not accurate on the deep ball (especially last night), why did we throw the ball 38 times? We averaged 6.4 ypc on running plays and 5.0 per pass attempt. Do the math. Turn 10 of those pass attempts into rushes and add 64 yards to the rushing total... and in those 10 extra attempts, perhaps ETN or Feaster or KB2 breaks a long one. I'm rambling, so I'll stop! LOL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RB - honesty is not valued on this board***

Nov 5, 2017, 3:32 PM [ in reply to Re: I think the Clemson offense is very close to being very very ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As usual, I take issue.

Nov 5, 2017, 2:39 PM

I thought the NCS secondary was great at getting away with early contact such as grabbing and slapping arms down while the ball was in the air. NCS people think they got hosed but I think they got away with murder.

If I have a complaint about KB it's that I still believe his ankle is not right. The distance on a throw, whether a pitch of a baseball or pass by a QB is controlled by two things. The distance of stride which is reflected in the hip rotation and the release point have to be coordinated to be accurate on anything over the top. A short stride will shorten the distance because the hips won't rotate as much as they do when the stride is long. Of course that's considering both are subject to the same release point.

Any variation is aiming not throwing. KB is no aiming the long passes and this is a reflection of his ankle not being 100%.

Deon has missed many passes but as far as moving him from that position I think the coaches are working to get someone ready to do that. Perhaps they just want to send a signal to Cain that dropping balls which are well within his ability to catch is unacceptable. At this point he is still the best at his position, imo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have everything we need and QB is the issue.

Nov 5, 2017, 2:41 PM

If KB can dial his passing in, we will be great. I agree that a Mike Williams would be great, but it's way more than that. It's the actual pass.

that element is getting the ball to a receiver***

Nov 5, 2017, 4:07 PM

Sometimes we Need a 15 Foot Tall WR who can Jump***

Nov 5, 2017, 4:17 PM

Nov 5, 2017, 4:41 PM

Most times that Cain has to try and jump for those deep routes is due to the ball being under thrown. DW4 made those throws. KB2 under throws or over throws most deep balls. This is the problem - not Cain.

Nov 5, 2017, 4:59 PM

I thought you were going to say 9 ft receiver.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic