Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Alum and Non-Alum question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Alum and Non-Alum question

Oct 25, 2018, 12:45 PM

It was brought up earlier, should alumni sing the alma mater and I posted the below response. But now it made me wonder what other Tigernetters think non-alumni should not take part in. My opinion is stated below. What's yours?

I'm a life long Clemson Tiger...father and uncle are Clemson graduates....I've attended more Clemson games (I'm 2-0 in person at NC games) than many a Clemson grad has or ever will have attended. When I visited The Citadel in 1987, I knew that was my school and that Clemson would always be my team. If you don't play football at the school that you attend, you are allowed to go there for the academics/experience of said school and not the football program. BUT, there are some things that Clemson graduates can do that a non-alum fan should not:
Sing the alma mater (but don't take a knee)
Shake the hand ring thingy at the end of the song
Buy a SC license plate with the Paw
Nobody should ever whoo hoo even if you didn't attend grade school
And NEVER put an Alumni sticker on your car or anywhere for that matter (I've seen this done before by non graduates)

Am I missing anything? And not related to this subject, but DON'T wear a jersey if you are past the 8th grade. This isn't the NFL.

There are a LOT of Clemson fans that got their degree from another school besides Clemson and they are good people. There are a lot that didn't attend college that are good people and good fans. A life longer can (not always) have more ties and passion to an athletic program versus the guy from New Jersey that grew into a fan while a student. I'm not bashing the NJ implant, I'm just say'n. When you've done something 49 years vs 6 years, that something has a tendency to be a little more passionate within someone.

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Alum and Non-Alum question

Oct 25, 2018, 12:48 PM

IMO they arent real fans and shouldnt be allowed at games.

In all seriousness, I saw a guy who found a Clemson ring wearing it bc he was a Clemson fan. Never attended Clemson at all.. That actually did #### me off. I told him he didnt earn that ring.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

I remember seeing a post on here about how one could

Oct 25, 2018, 12:50 PM

acquire a Clemson ring.

You ####### earn one, that's how.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Nobody earns that ring.

Oct 25, 2018, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Alum and Non-Alum question ]

Some people choose to spend a lot of money to pay for one. He luckily got one for free.

If you earned it, they would give it to you.

Nobody cares what you think coot***

Oct 25, 2018, 12:57 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Nobody earns that ring.

Oct 25, 2018, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Nobody earns that ring. ]

Fine I earned the right to wear it.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Re: Nobody earns that ring.

Oct 25, 2018, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Nobody earns that ring. ]

Like the other poster said, you earn the right to wear it. Anyone can go to an army surplus store and buy BDUs and ACUs and wear them but the minute you start putting patches on out you've crossed the line. Same for wearing a Clemson ring or having alumni stickers. I wear my Clemson t-shirts and have a paw sticker on my vehicle but would never have anything indicating I'm an alum. That's just weird

I guess I don't notice what other people have on their

Oct 25, 2018, 2:15 PM

hands. My wife is all the time talking about whether someone was wearing a wedding ring or not. I'm clueless.

### I worked hard for mine.

Oct 25, 2018, 7:02 PM [ in reply to Nobody earns that ring. ]

What is it, 90 credit hours?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TL DR***

Oct 25, 2018, 12:49 PM

I think non-alums should be allowed to donate to IPTAY

Oct 25, 2018, 12:51 PM

but should not be allowed to attend games.

Message was edited by: GWPTiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I think non-alums should be allowed to donat to IPTAY

Oct 25, 2018, 12:53 PM

Things are getting real stupid over this alum non-alum thing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, I agree fencesitter

Oct 25, 2018, 12:55 PM

non-alums who think they should be allowed the same privileges as alums are real stupid.

Re: Yes, I agree fencesitter

Oct 25, 2018, 4:02 PM

GWP are you dumb ALL the time or just when you're in here.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I actually totally disagree. Non-alumns are welcome to sit

Oct 25, 2018, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Re: I think non-alums should be allowed to donat to IPTAY ]

in the upper deck and stand silently during the alma mater.

I'm willing to compromise and allow non-alums to attend

Oct 25, 2018, 1:05 PM

games if they sit in the top rows of the upper deck, but not for homecoming games. Homecoming should be a sacred tradition for alums only (and of course alums can bring their spouses and children).

So basically

Oct 25, 2018, 2:18 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TIGER BALLS.

Re: I'm willing to compromise and allow non-alums to attend

Oct 25, 2018, 4:01 PM [ in reply to I'm willing to compromise and allow non-alums to attend ]

I’m willing to compromise as well. As soon as Clemson is 100% supported by alums, and only alums, I will quit going to the football games.

Getting stupid?

Oct 25, 2018, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Re: I think non-alums should be allowed to donat to IPTAY ]

Been real stupid for a long #### time. More lunacy every time the topic is posted.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think non-alums should be allowed to donat to IPTAY

Oct 25, 2018, 1:08 PM [ in reply to I think non-alums should be allowed to donate to IPTAY ]

I hope this isn't serious...as long as they are gonna cheer for Clemson, I want ALL the support we can get. All in, all the time.

It's absolutely serious, but I already made a compromise

Oct 25, 2018, 1:11 PM

with Caddie and changed my stance. Non-alums can attend and sit in the top rows of the upper deck for all games except homecoming.

Re: It's absolutely serious, but I already made a compromise

Oct 25, 2018, 1:13 PM

I saw that, and I can live with that. The only times I ever sat in the upper deck where when my parents came and they bought the tickets. I won't even sit UD at an away game - gonna be at FSU Saturday and BC on November 10th, I think I'm in row 6 for both haha

This again ? Here's the rundown ...

Oct 25, 2018, 1:06 PM

Alumni should:
- Give to IPTAY
- Wear polo shirts and shorts with those little Tiger paws on them
- Eat at fancy restaurants downtown
- Tailgate in the shadows of the stadium in their Black Ford Expedition w/ Seafood and roasted vegetables
- Leave at halftime to beat the traffic

Non-alumni should:
- Make all ticket purchases from scalpers
- Wear Jerseys and Jeans (Jorts during September)
- Eat at Mac's ... order a milkshake
- Tailgate on Kite Hill w/ KFC and Krispy Kreme
- Stay till the game is over so your 6 kids can get autographs

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This again ? Here's the rundown ...

Oct 25, 2018, 1:10 PM

I never had a Clemson polo shirt. During my sophomore year though, they randomly handed out shirts that said "Clemson Football We Will Triumph" during a bball game at Littlejohn, and I ended up wearing that until graduating and getting too fat for it.

Oct 25, 2018, 1:13 PM

You only have to take one class at Clemson to be considered an Alum unless this policy has changed in the last few years. I attended Clemson for one semester and then transfered to App St because of out state tuition was killing me. I still get alumni mail all the time.

Message was edited by: speedracer®

Correct, but there is a scale for Clemson fans...

Oct 25, 2018, 1:19 PM

non-alums - just fans
alums - realish fans
Clemson Graduates - Real and True Fans

Re: Correct, but there is a scale for Clemson fans...

Oct 25, 2018, 1:30 PM

Famous non Clemson alums;

Coaches

John Heisman

Frank Howard

Danny Ford

Dabo Swinney

Your point is?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My point is this...

Oct 25, 2018, 1:36 PM

There is a scale for Clemson fans:

non-alums - just fans
alums - realish fans
Clemson Graduates - Real and True Fans

You don't know what you're talking about - an alumnus.......

Oct 25, 2018, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Alum and Non-Alum question ]

of a college is one who graduated from the college - pure and simple. "Attending one class" to be one is BS.

Also, if you go to Clemson for two years, for example, and then transfer and graduate from another school, you're an alumnus of the other school, not Clemson.

Actually I thought the same thing but

Oct 25, 2018, 3:38 PM

Oct 25, 2018, 1:23 PM

As a lifetime non-alum, here is what I do.

1) Give to IPTAY with enough margin to have decent parking. (Not AOC decent)
2) Purchase FB season tickets. (Never sell extras to non-tiger fans)
3) Arive in my seat 45 minutes before game time.
4) Stand/Remove cap for duration of God Bless America thru Alma mater (Don’t sing AM or lift hand at the end)
5) Sit for most of the game except for big 3rd downs on defense, all 4th downs regardless, big offensive plays...usually 8 yards or better, all TFLs, all sacks, and every now and then when the refs really mess up or Dabo goes
out on the field to chew someone’s ear off.
6) Stay for whole game regardless of outcome. (Seriously...Thanks Dad!)
7) Eat a meal at the tailgate after the game. (Sometimes build a fire, if it’s really cold.)
8) Go home and rewatch the game on DVR. Even if it was an 830pm start (sometimes I fall asleep and have to watch the rest after I get back from church)
9) Log on to T-net and watch all the post game interviews and press conference. Sift thru all the morans on the mange board looking for the one or two good posts about football. TU all of FMs posts...and some of Bob’s.
10) Pay for my daughter’s tuition to CU so she can do all the above some day.....including sing the AM and lift her hand at the end.

11) Repeat each season.....thanks again Dad.

Oh....post $cript. Forgot the most important part. I Never and I mean NEVER ‘woo-hoo’.

Message was edited by: NorthwestPurple®

Message was edited by: NorthwestPurple®

I like alum. Makes really crunchy pickles.***

Oct 25, 2018, 1:25 PM

Oct 25, 2018, 2:04 PM

Both of my parents are alumni. I didn't go to Clemson due to out of state tuition costs. It's crazy how much out of state tuition is.

I have gone to games since I can remember. I have been a Clemson fan for as long as I can remember. If you think you are more of a "fan" than me because you went to Clemson, then you are a straight up ######.

If you think that you have privileges that I don't have because I didn't attend Clemson then you are a straight up ######.

If you get offended because a non-alum is singing the alma mater then you are a straight up pu$$y.

Also, if you try and compare your fandom to other people then you are a straight up ######.

I think I have covered all of my thoughts here. LOL

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2018, 2:07 PM

Wow, the word d0uche is censored on here.

Also, I would never put an alumni sticker on my car or wear any sort of alumni ring or shirt.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2018, 2:31 PM

There is always graduate school with out-of-state tuition waivers if you want...

that being said, you don't get student ticket options.

Oct 25, 2018, 2:07 PM

As far as I'm concerned, other than someone who didn't graduate from Clemson putting a Clemson degree on their resume (which would be fraud), they can wear or sing whatever they want. I guess I've never been as concerned about symbols as other folks.

Thanx Florida State for sucking so bad this year!

Oct 25, 2018, 2:15 PM

Now instead of post after post leading up to our big game playing y'all Satiday, at noon no less, talking about how we gonna barely squeak by if at all. We are sujected to dumba$$ posts about dumba$$ alums vs nonalums. smdh.
Freagn TNET!

GO TIGERS!!! Sang that song if you know it. Don't throw up yo hand! #### people get over yourselves!!

Oct 25, 2018, 2:29 PM

First of all, the Citadel gets you this Clemson's Alum respect as a lowcountry brother. I pull for the Cit. after my tigers out of any SC school... and basically any other school too.

For me, Clemson was so nice, I graduated twice. The last being with Purple Regalia and three stripes. But, I am not the most solid orange person in my family. that person is my father who took 9 years of night classes to put themselves though another (non-football) school. He is always in a Clemson gear and years Go Tigers more than I do. When folks ask him if he went, he says no, but is boy did.

My take is that as long as someone does not try and pass themselves off as an Alumni, I am fine with folks partaking in alumni-like group events. Be honest. You can be a Clemson supporter without being an alum. If you are wearing/sporting the Clemson marks, you better act like a proper Clemson person. I am more about being inclusive and bring folks into the family as long as they act like family.

Oct 25, 2018, 4:04 PM

The real bottom line as far as Clemson football and overall revenue is concerned:

Without “Non-Alums”.....

Death Valley would be less than half full on Saturday’s!

Let the topic die already!!

Go Tigers!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic