Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"Big Tech Censorship"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 774

"Big Tech Censorship"

Jan 16, 2021, 2:31 PM

I guess the right has settled on "Big Tech Censorship" as today's rallying-cry issue...which just leaves me shaking my head.

As an issue, it's ridiculous. Is the GOP really trying to convince people, in the wake of an insurrection against the United States Congress launched by people who believed the transparently stupid lie that the election was somehow stolen by some shadow conspiracy (a conspiracy those decrying it couldn't prove a word of in court!), that the solution is even less control over the Internet so the vultures spouting these lies can sprout even more of it?

That's a winning issue, there. Because that's just what America needs: more crazy.

Also, striking down Section 230 is about the last thing you want if you're in favor of more freedom to freely organize sedition and advocate violence, because it removes the "we're platform and NOT actual publishers" protection that keep people from going legally going after the hosting platforms for what its users - even if they are barbarian heathens plotting the overthrow of the US government - may post on it. Wipe that and the Dems are free to regulate even more. So...is there some 3-D chess plan here I'm not in on?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The section 230 thing strikes me as self fulfilling prophecy

Jan 16, 2021, 4:10 PM

If the companies are liable, they’ll become more not less strict. This will feed the narrative and foment more opposition against “them”

Re: The section 230 thing strikes me as self fulfilling prophecy

Jan 16, 2021, 5:27 PM

I was reading this proposal called "The Santa Clara Principles On Transparency and Accountability in Content Moderation"...it actually suggests what seems like a fairly common-sense foundation for content moderation...a framework for how stuff should be zapped, and how those zappages and bannings need to be made public record so people understand the rules and process.

Right now we're just making it up as we go along, ad hoc and piecemeal. This proposal seems like a good first step for changing that because above all else stuff needs to be aboveboard...and as they say, secrecy is the beginning of tyranny. If you're going to zap, show why, and show consistency.

https://santaclaraprinciples.org/

I think it's a matter of requiring them to stand on

Jan 16, 2021, 6:26 PM [ in reply to The section 230 thing strikes me as self fulfilling prophecy ]

one side of the fence or the other. They want 230 protections from the thing they say they are not a part of.

If you are a provider, you are accountable. Or you can stop censoring. One or the other. I fully understand that if 230 is gone they will cencor even more. Fine. They're doing it anyway. Make them accountable. That's all that's about.

If you say, "Well, they'll just censor more", I'm happy just having that truth on the table. So, out goes 230.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think it's a matter of requiring them to stand on

Jan 16, 2021, 7:35 PM

Tulsa,

I take your point, but the extremists will not.

Well extremists won't take any point but their own***

Jan 16, 2021, 7:54 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know about that, but the outlets think 230

Jan 16, 2021, 9:28 PM [ in reply to Re: I think it's a matter of requiring them to stand on ]

is a big deal. Taking it away will fundamentally change what they do and who they are. They have shown their bias, so as far as I am concerned, yank it. To want both, to censor and have 230, is extremist. They are asking to be a state run and protected news organization. Is that what you want?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Big Tech Censorship"

Jan 16, 2021, 5:57 PM

I wish I could this bigger ??

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2021, 9:55 PM

quit crying softie, big tech is not censoring Donald, he abused his privilege to use some apps, so he no longer has those privileges, if you go into a bar and start talking crap and cause trouble in such a manner that most of the patrons (71%) want you kicked out, then eventually the bouncer is gonna kick you out, in that case nobody impacted your freedom of speech, but you lost your privilege cuz you're a dumba$$.

Jan 16, 2021, 11:00 PM

Source for the 71%?

Jan 17, 2021, 8:08 AM

I’m sorry, I should’ve rounded to 70%. Trump currently has a 29.52867897317423978361% approval rating.

Jan 17, 2021, 7:06 PM

Oh, approval ratings as fact. Missed that in the scientific method.

Jan 17, 2021, 8:46 AM

I bet you believe 100% the Russian theory ol hillary threw on us in 2016.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2021, 7:01 PM

See this:

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Google-Censorship-2053866?tstart=0

LOL

Jan 17, 2021, 7:34 PM

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/left-wing-activist-charged-in-capitol-riot-still-allowed-on-twitter-youtube

Replies: 14
| visibility 774
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic