Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Don’t Take KB for Granite
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Don’t Take KB for Granite

May 22, 2018, 2:03 PM

I’ll be the first one to jump on the TL train once fall rolls around. However, take a step back from being a Clemson fan for just one second. Everyone is comparing KB to DW4 and to do that you’ve gotta look deeper into the numbers. DW4 had arguably one of the best RB’s in Clemson history by his side. One of the highest drafted WR in history of Clemson outside of Sammy. Had a very very good OL led by veterans. Arguably the best TE in Clemson history as well. Now look at KB’s offense in 2017. At WR, he had Deon. I don’t think anyone on TNet can argue that Deon was better than Mike Williams. At RB, KB had ETN and Feaster, neither of whom really had the pass blocking ability of Gallman. And then the real difference was at TE. How many times can you remember Richard making a huge difference in a game last year? Not even remotely close to the impact Jordan Leggett had. That being said, every one of these guys, with exception to Deon and Ray Ray being gone, are a year older and more wiser. Don’t throw KB under the bus just yet bc this 2018 team will be very special bc of KB, whether it’s as the starting QB or as a veteran leader.

Message was edited by: ClintonTiger88®

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don’t take KB for Granted

May 22, 2018, 2:07 PM

Well presented. Thank you

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2018, 2:12 PM

I would actually disagree.

Don't get me wrong - I like KB and I respect what he accomplished, a lot. He led with his toughness, and showed great poise through most of the season. The problem with him is that he was an average-at-best thrower who made up for that with his athleticism, game management, and his ability to gain even tough yards with his feet.

Clemson's passing game simply does not hum with Kelly Bryant under center...and while I was hoping he would make a big leap as a passer between his junior and senior years - what I was keeping in mind was that he does have only limited experience in a passing system - his mechanics, delivery, and accuracy have not really improved a whole lot. And that in turn invites teams to crowd the LOS and load the box against the run...which never, EVER happened when Deshaun was in town, because he'd barbeque you for 5+ TD's if you tried something so foolish.

The bigger problem is that Kelly's confidence obviously was not good during the Spring Game - the guys behind him were better throwers and showing it, and he really seemed to struggle to find his own groove as a result.

I don't think it's going to be close, not unless the light just goes on for KB as a passer and he starts flinging with a lot more confidence. The guy we saw in the Spring Game was not going to beat out Trevor Lawrence or even Chase Brice, and he knew it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2018, 2:22 PM

I completely understand what you mean. I personally think TL is the guy. However, when DW4 was here, he had an OL who was led by some veteran guys along with an RB who could absolutely block way better than ETN or Feaster has showed so far. I agree with you though. TL and HJ put a ton of pressure on KB in the spring game and he folded. The defense took every one out of the box and forced him to make some throws and he couldn’t.

Just wanted to make the point that KB had no where near the weapons that DW4 had and it showed. However, these guys have some experience under their belt now so there are no excuses.

I’m proud to call a KB a Tiger and wouldn’t mind it a single bit if he’s the guy heading into College Station. However, I think we will see TL do what DW4 did to Stoudt a few years back and will take over at some point. May be at College Station or against GT to open up the ACC. It will fun to watch for sure!

May 22, 2018, 2:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Don’t take KB for Granted ]

KB is a very good college QB.

But he is sandwiched between the greatest QB of Clemson history and potentially the next greatest QB of Clemson history. Pretty much that simple.

May 22, 2018, 2:27 PM

Great point! Sure hope TL can lead this team to what DW4 did. We will have a few more a years of a lot of fun!

KB led us to our 4th best season in Clemson history.

May 22, 2018, 2:21 PM

Doubt anyone is taking him for granite except for the morans.

I think he means, "Don’t take KB for Granite"

May 22, 2018, 2:31 PM

Tnet classic

Re: I think he means, "Don’t take KB for Granite"

May 22, 2018, 2:34 PM

Lol yep definately messed that one up. Sorry about that one??

May 22, 2018, 2:36 PM

Thanks for fixing that. I was about to take your post with a grade of slaw.

May 22, 2018, 2:37 PM

No problem. My apologies! I questioned it while I was typing but wasn’t exactly sure. Figured someone would catch it sooner or later.

Re: Don’t Take KB for Granite

May 22, 2018, 2:38 PM

Just ask Saban who he had rather go up against! Hint - He had KB's number last year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2018, 2:44 PM

He had some ball hawks on the back side too to help against a receiving core that didn’t play very well all year. Hard to put the blame on KB. If you remember correctly, Deon dropped a ball that would’ve hit him in the chest if he didn’t put his hands on it. Was a crucial play that gave Alabama some huge momentum and great field position that set the tone for the rest of the night. Everyone was picking Clemson to knock off Alabama prior to that game because of Kelly Bryant. The guy needed some help and if you can’t see that then I can’t help ya. As stated before, TL definitely has better tools than KB but KB will have an impact whether he’s the starter or the veteran leader of this group.

I'm taking this with a grade of slaw.***

May 22, 2018, 5:23 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

If he had made half of the downfield passes

May 22, 2018, 5:31 PM

last year, each game would have been a blow out. Hopefully, the coaches can fix his throwing mechanism in the off season. I would have thought it would have improved at the spring game, especially since he knew he would only be one-hand touched.

I re-watched the NCSU game the other night. His missed throws kept that game close. Our D kept us in it and we pulled away with a strong running attack.

May 22, 2018, 5:33 PM

I still miss Wayne Train.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic