Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I think football season will happen this year.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

I think football season will happen this year.

Jul 12, 2020, 11:06 AM

I don't know if we will get to fill the Valley or not...

Here are the COVID-19 numbers from SCDHEC as of Saturday, July 11, 2020 that make me think football season is a go:

533,738 total COVID-19 tests in SC
54,538 total positive cases
940 deaths in "Individuals with COVID-19 infection" - This wording makes me curious, did they die from COVID-19 or did they die from something else and test positive for COVID-19?

SCDHEC defines "confirmed death" and "probable death":

"A confirmed death – what DHEC has been reporting – is someone whose death is related to COVID-19 and who tested positive with a viral test for COVID-19. A probable death is an individual whose death certificate lists COVID-19 disease or SARS-CoV-2 as a cause of death or a significant condition contributing to death but did not undergo confirmatory viral testing." If it is a confirmed death, why not just call it a confirmed COVID-19 death instead of "Deaths in Individuals with COVID-19 infection"?

I've heard lots of breathless reporting about positive cases. The numbers show a positive case does not equal death. In fact, a positive case may be symptomatic or asymptomatic. In SC, roughly 10% of those tested are positive. Of those, a very small percentage have died.

The death rate in SC is almost exactly as advertised by scientists at the beginning: .017. (I think .015 was the predicted death rate.) I've been watching these numbers since late March and the death rate goes lower and lower as more South Carolinians are tested.

BTW, this is not a mask or no mask post-just some data for thought.

Clemson emailed a survey to IPTAY members last week about the upcoming season. I encourage all of you to complete the survey to make your voices heard.

Source: https://www.scdhec.gov/infectious-diseases/viruses/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/sc-testing-data-projections-covid-19

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Football will happen this year. Why?

Jul 12, 2020, 11:27 AM

$$$$$MONEY$$$$$$

There will be NO Fans! Why? LAWYERS!
Too Many Opportunities for Money grabs!

Just "MY" thoughts

YES! I want football!
Its more than a "GAME"! It is an ALL WEEKEND EVENT!
The BEST times and MEMORIES .......EVER!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think football season will happen this year.

Jul 12, 2020, 12:40 PM

Facts ... Who needs em'?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All hail the HBC of the RAG!

Jul 12, 2020, 2:27 PM

I would take the OP's facts with a grade of slaw -- he's a well-known moran.

Good thing he has such an intelligent wife ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

You know what they say...

Jul 12, 2020, 2:47 PM

Behind every good woman, no wait...

A woman with a good behind, has a man...

I can't remember how the saying goes! You know what I mean.

It’s interesting to compare this to the BLM/racism stuff from earlier this year.

Jul 12, 2020, 1:01 PM

Are most people going to die from COVID? No. Much in the same way, most people aren’t racist, and most people aren’t offended by a building being named for a racist from hundreds of years ago.

But some people are going to get COVID, and some are going to die from it. And some people are offended by what they perceive as racist actions/symbols.

When it came to racist symbols, such as a building name, the consensus (including on TigerNet) seemed to be that we should change the name because it offends some people. Some people even insinuated that if you didn’t understand why someone would want a building name changed, you are racist.

So if we apply this situation to COVID, because some people will get COVID if we play football this year, and because some of those will die, we should not play football out of consideration for those people. Especially since we are talking about sickness and death, and not merely feelings being hurt.

However, I know this logic won’t be palatable for some here, because one situation was for the “good” of the football program (football players, current recruits, and future recruits not being offended) while the other is “bad” for the football program (we can’t play football).

I’ve decided that these debates, for most people, aren’t about compassion, morality, and doing the right thing; rather, they are more selfish than that. They are about what they view as good for the football program, and preserving our status as an elite program that recruits well and competes for championships - at the exclusion of everything else if need be.

That has been my perception when reading many posts here regarding these highly debated topics over the past few months.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

From what I've read on Tigernet lately, I think you

Jul 12, 2020, 1:12 PM

are giving people too much credit.

I am simply trying to inject some facts into the emotion-based arguments.

Death is not a Perception, as We ALL Know..and yes we should

Jul 12, 2020, 1:23 PM

take reasonable care not to facilitate it happening sooner than later..

but this Virus is gonna be around next year, in one form or the other, and then another virus strain after that.

Saying, do some of us die of it now or later since it or other viruses will kill year after year, forever.

Oh, callous or not “Nature” has always had a way & need to cull the weak & sick (in animals, plants, mammals~> people) to keep populations within its means to nurture.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Comparing BLM to a mindless virus that kills people may be

Jul 12, 2020, 4:08 PM [ in reply to It’s interesting to compare this to the BLM/racism stuff from earlier this year. ]

accurate, but you’re not supposed to say it.

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

If we don’t play football out of consideration for others

Jul 12, 2020, 7:10 PM [ in reply to It’s interesting to compare this to the BLM/racism stuff from earlier this year. ]

because someone might die. Then we better stay the hell out of Wal-Mart, Publix, Lowe’s, Church, Sport Clips,
and wherever else we “have” to go because it’s a sure thing someone is gonna die.

Lay low in your homes and have robots bring you the bare necessities until this thing passes or we start killing ourselves or each other at a pace that rivals what we are afraid of.

It’s not that one person may die, it’s accepting the fact that some are going to die regardless of what we do.

Wear a mask, keep your hands clean, stay out of each other’s face, keep you finger out of your nose, cross your fingers and live your life trying to keep this thing at bay.

If most of us do our part and conduct ourselves as if we are personally spreading this stuff around, I think we could live a somewhat normal life until this passes. Then we could get back to being A holes again like most of us are.

If you want to be “safe” then you will just have to stay at home.

Don’t answer that door bell, unless it’s Robbie.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2020, 1:27 PM

I hope it happens and I hope everyone respects the variances and nuances it will likely take to get this season in .
We are set to be very good this season , would be an absolute travesty if it can't go off .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jul 12, 2020, 3:01 PM

I can't decide which way it will go but it will be one of these two:
1. season with no fans (please please let it be this option)
2. no season
It will be one of these two and that will be it. So no, we will not be filling the Valley this season. Go ahead and set your mind to that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2020, 5:35 PM

If no fans, let's hope the sound effect person pushes the correct buttons when Clemson scores or makes a defensive stop. It could be pretty embarrassing if he/she gets it wrong. I know, in the grand scheme of things, pretty trivial, but it could be funny if we hear C-L-E-M-S-O-N when the bad guys score.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And make sure there is no Woohoo button.***

Jul 12, 2020, 6:35 PM

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jul 12, 2020, 7:22 PM [ in reply to Re: I think football season will happen this year. ]

time to paint all that concrete on both stands orange . Each riser gets a paw .
I'll do it ...during each home game :)

DB23

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic