Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Partial reason for being a little off?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Partial reason for being a little off?

Jan 15, 2020, 10:45 AM

Just a thought I had this morning. Do you think two days of walk-throughs in a hotel ballroom ultimately messed with our team's heads? I get it, it was our choice, and Dabo said they were able to do everything there they would've on a legit practice field. So, I'm certainly not trying to say we were wronged; it was our choice.

It just seems like it would be hard to be as focused/motivated compared to practicing on a well-lit, painted and full-sized field. It's like putting/chipping golf balls in the living room vs. around a real green, or shooting free throws in the driveway vs. a real basketball court.

Nostalgically, playing in a nice facility makes you a little more focused. Technically, I've gotta believe decorative carpet and chandeliers affect sight lines and mechanics. I feel like at the very least, it couldn't have done much to help timing and accuracy of routes/throws.

Again, no excuses for losing; LSU's secondary was incredible. Also, our guys are human, and it's expected that there will be off days. It's just that, more throws than normal were off target, and even for the ones that were, our guys have typically been able to come down with a large percentage of them. And, I was nervous from the moment I learned we were practicing in a hotel. Just thinking out loud.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Partial reason for being a little off?

Jan 15, 2020, 10:46 AM

No. Dabo said the practices were great and it was the teams choice we weren’t forced to. No excuses LSU was the better team that night, TL missed receivers on 3rd down and our coaches were out coached.

Jan 15, 2020, 10:46 AM

No.. Dabo said it was their best practice

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have noticed a trend when Dabo says 'best practice'

Jan 15, 2020, 10:50 AM

it is usually followed by a less than stellar performance.

Jan 15, 2020, 10:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Partial reason for being a little off? ]

I agree. Said it was the best practice ever. Also didn't say XT would be out 1 quarter, or that Nyles was injured.

I agree with this.

Jan 15, 2020, 11:15 AM

Nyles being out really hurt. To compete with LSU you have to get pressure with the defensive front.

I think everyone knew...

Jan 15, 2020, 10:48 AM

Clemson was going to have to bring its "A-game" to have any real chance of winning and we simply didn't do that.

LSU also made better in-game/halftime adjustment (comparatively speaking).

The last LSU score just before the half was painful. Allowing them to convert a 3rd and 19 followed by a complete defensive breakdown in the endzone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I think everyone knew...

Jan 15, 2020, 10:50 AM

I get it, I just wonder if practicing indoors affected us not bringing our A game. Sometimes, I think I am hitting golf balls better than ever into a net, then reality sets in when I get on the course ...

Jan 15, 2020, 10:49 AM

I agree, no excuses. I also know Dabo said that. The whole scenario was just a little odd.

Jan 15, 2020, 10:55 AM

There was a hint that I think explains the ballroom bit...they were playing on a "home" field of the opponent...any outside practices would have been spied upon by the locals, and reported to LSU. Which would have meant the walk-throughs would have been "muted" outside to not give anything away. Smart move by Dabo, but don't know that it affected the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2020, 10:59 AM

True, pros/cons for sure. Also, we have no idea how much throwing and catching was actually practiced in that room. If they did, however, I imagine when playing ball inside on a rainy day, it's hard to 'let loose,' even if you know it's perfectly OK to do so.

We were up 17-7. Probably should have been more

Jan 15, 2020, 11:13 AM

but if they were affected by ballroom practice they were still scoring on LSU. If the game started out like the Fiesta Bowl then I’d think there might have been an effect.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

and down 28-25 in early 3rd with momentum...***

Jan 15, 2020, 11:26 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we were a little more banged up after OSU

Jan 15, 2020, 11:12 AM

than everyone would admit. I know 15 days is a lot, but Tee and Ross didn't look like themselves.

Re: I think we were a little more banged up after OSU

Jan 15, 2020, 11:31 AM

LSU’s defense used the disrespect page out of Dabo’s book and were out to prove a point. They got pressure on TL more times than not when they only rushed 4. Couple that with LSU corners jamming receivers at the line making routes a little slower, and it’s a recipe for what we saw. Didn’t help that when we had guys open, the ball sailed on TL several times. When the score was still close enough to run the ball, which we did effectively early, and we chose not to, it made us one dimensional before we had to be. LSU’s offense was gonna get theirs like they had all year. We didn’t take advantage of opportunities on offense early and it got away from us.

It sucks no doubt, but the stars were aligned for LSU to have the run they had. They were a very good football team. Hats off to them. The ROY bus was real last season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2020, 11:38 AM

I think Joe Burrow caused Trevor to be a little off.

Trevor didn't not look off to start the game in the same way that people are remembering that his second half looked.

No, he still wasn't perfect, but I think when Trevor started to notice that our defense didn't have any answers, he started to try to score every time we touched the ball.

I think the pressure he was putting on himself caused him to get very out of rhythm and then he was given a lot of low percentage throws to complete when he was already struggling to complete easier throws.

Jan 15, 2020, 12:06 PM

Give the dang rock to Travis!!!!!! He knows what to do with it.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic