Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Top CFB Coaches list is coming out. Should Dabo be at #3?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Top CFB Coaches list is coming out. Should Dabo be at #3?

May 10, 2017, 8:01 AM

CBS Sports put out there list from 26-65 yesterday. I assume they'll put out the top 25 today. Is Dabo now firmly established at #3 only behind Saban and Meyer? I would think so. I suspect their top 5 will be the following:

1. Saban
2. Meyer
3. Dabo
4. Fisher
5. Harbaugh

Both Dabo and Fisher now have 1 Championship, but Dabo probably just nudges him out since he's beaten Fisher head to head the last 2 years. My list would look similar, but I'd have a hard time trying to pick between Harbaugh and David Shaw at #5. However, since Shaw was Harbaugh assistant at Stanford, Jim likely would have to get the nod. I think B. Stoops is the only other coach currently with Championship pedigree so I suppose he could sneak into the top 5, but I personally don't think he's a better coach than Harbaugh or Shaw. You could argue Dabo over Meyer since he's 2-0 head to head, but Meyer's just done too much at multiple stops for Dabo to leapfrog him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Saban is a distant #1 but Urban and Dabo are close

May 10, 2017, 8:07 AM

Urban is #2 but Dabo is right behind him at #3. Not saying Urban isn't great, but Dabo has beaten him head to head twice now and Dabo has had his success at a school that is not a historical power. UF and OSU are about as good as you can get as far as resources and history. If Dabo had been given those at the beginning, he'd have more championships than Urban. If I had to choose 1 to be my head coach, it would absolutely be Dabo.

Fisher would be #4 by a pretty good margin. And then everybody else would be distant.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: I think Saban is a distant #1 but Urban and Dabo are close

May 10, 2017, 8:16 AM

Dabo is an excellent coach and fit for Clemson. Lists are great but no coach would be a better coach for Clemson than Dabo.

imho DaBO is #1

May 10, 2017, 8:38 AM

At the moment until further notice!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Has Harbaw actually ever won anything?

May 10, 2017, 9:53 AM

Hes a decent runner up as player and coach but still.....

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Re: Has Harbaw actually ever won anything?

May 10, 2017, 9:59 AM

He has never won a conference title. I would put Stoops, Shaw, and Petersen above him for that reason.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: Has Harbaw actually ever won anything?

May 10, 2017, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Has Harbaw actually ever won anything? ]

But you got to think he turned Stanford into a major football player. STANFORD b4 hairball they were annual 3 win team and he turned them into a rose bowl winning team. Without hair he foundation he laid Shaw wouldn't be crap at Stanford and if he would have stayed he prob would have won PAC 12 bc Shaws first few teams were all hairballs players and since then Stanford has been good but not the same so no he has no titlea but what he did to turn Stanford around was amazing. I'm not a big fan of hairball but I give credit where credit is due. Plus he has turned Michigan around very fast so it's not hard to tell he's a really good coach just hasn't won title or anything yet. But I can see him atleast getting to one sooner than later.

Won the NFC championship.***

May 10, 2017, 2:27 PM [ in reply to Has Harbaw actually ever won anything? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right now I think he is #3.

May 10, 2017, 10:26 AM

Some other top 5 candidates:
Chris Petersen
Gary Patterson - his stock has fallen a bit recently
Stoops - bit past his prime

NO

May 10, 2017, 10:28 AM

Dabo should be listed at No. 2, he owns Urban Meyer.

Urban has 3 titles and has won one at two different schools.

May 10, 2017, 10:33 AM

He also built Utah up the point that they won 2 BCS bowls in the 2000s and got a P5 invite. They might still be in the MWC without Urban.

He's absolutely #2 right now. I think he's lost 3 regular season games in 5 years at OSU now too.

re:NO

May 10, 2017, 10:36 AM [ in reply to NO ]

I agree. Dabo is #2.

Urban inherited 2 powerhouse programs and kept the train moving

Dabo built a program we can all be proud of

Did you forgot about Ron Zook Florida?

May 10, 2017, 10:42 AM

He took over a 7 win team and won a title 2 years later. He also won at Bowling Green and then went 22-2 at Utah and won the Fiesta Bowl in 2004.

Thats no really a valid comparison

May 10, 2017, 11:40 AM

Zook was only there 4 years and when he got there Florida had just been to 3 BCS bowls in 4 years.

4 years from a major bowl an 10 wins isn't the same ballpark as 20 years and 10 years from a natty isn't nearly equivalent to 30 years

There something to the Utah point but we are talking about now not 12 years ago

Right now Urban got shutout by Dabo and Co for the first time ever and first time since 1993 Ohio State took a 0.

Look i wouldn't trade Dabo for Urban for several reasons

May 10, 2017, 11:43 AM

but i don't think being 2-0 against Urban is enough to overcome a 3-1 edge is national titles. If Dabo wins a 2nd title at Clemson and Urban still has 3 then i think you can make a pretty good argument for Dabo.

How about 31 players being arrested in 6 years at UF?

May 10, 2017, 11:51 AM

Does that negate the 3-1 edge in nattys?

How about him quitting because of "health reasons" or the fact that he was 7-5 and Florida wasn't letting him bring in thugs anymore... but a year later Ohio State comes calling and all of the sudden he's in great health???

How's his graduation rate?

I think winning is certainly important but how you win is also very important. At least to me and it seems like to Clemson University as a whole.

That's reason #1 why i wouldn't trade Dabo for him.***

May 10, 2017, 11:57 AM

I suppose it depends on whether the question is...

May 10, 2017, 11:59 AM

Who is the better coach? Dabo

OR

Who currently has the better resume? Urban

Re: Top CFB Coaches list is coming out. Should Dabo be at #3?

May 10, 2017, 11:56 AM

Yea I agree with your list but knowing how media likes fsu over clemson I think they will put Jimbo over Dabo though I don't agree with it. My reason is 1. Jimbo took over at FSU which had a lot more talent then Clemson did when Dabo took over and had better recruiting power to start off with. 2. Dabo has built clemson into a powerhouse again that we hadn't seen since the 80s when fsu had a little drop off towards end of Bobbys career but nowhere close to what Clemson's was. So Dabo had a lot harder rebuilding challenge then Jimbo did. 3. They both have 1 natty with Dabo edging him in 2 title appearances and also is 2-0 in playoff games while Jimbo is 0-1. Dabo 3rd best coach in the game no doubt but idk bet they put Jimbo above Dabo bc media they fluff fsu up compared to Clemson.
1. Saban
2. Meyer
3. Dabo
4. Jimbo
5. Hairball

FYI here is the list (Dabo = #3)

May 10, 2017, 2:25 PM

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ranking-the-top-25-power-five-college-football-coaches-entering-the-2017-season/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: FYI here is the list (Dabo = #3)

May 10, 2017, 2:48 PM

18. "...After a couple of very mediocre seasons at Penn State, the Nittany Lions went 11-3 under Franklin last year, won the Rose Bowl, and had a legitimate case for a playoff berth."

....Penn State won the Rose Bowl in 2017??????

Rose Bowl 2017
USC 52 Penn State 49

Boy, sports is all kinds of backwards these days! Lose 4 games to win the Heisman and apparently it's not just the SEC that wins when they lose anymore...

:)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic