Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Report: Morris to Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 73
| visibility 1

Jan 9, 2011, 11:00 AM

A week after making a change at offensive coordinator, Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney feels he has found his man. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Report: Morris to Clemson

Jan 9, 2011, 11:02 AM

I reLly think this is a mistake. Hope I'm wrong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2011, 12:22 PM

I hope u r too.

Jan 9, 2011, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Report: Morris to Clemson ]

With the current addition of defensive and offensive coaches mixed with the continual commitmant and recommitment of recruits, Clemson has put the Tiger Express back on the railway to success. The financial cost will be high for these coaching additions, but the return on investment will experienced before the opening kickoff in September. The Tiger faithful will be reenergized as will be demonstrated by a invigorated financial support in IPTAY donations and the sell of new season tickets.
There are, however, two big variables to make these changes succesful:
First: The Clemson faithfull must develop amnesia and forget the most recent past and, more importantly, STOP all of this negative griping and complaining. Get behind the Tigers like they are your own children out there playing.
Second: Hopefully, Dabo has matured as a head coach and has enough confidence to let the new coaching staff do their job. He is the CEO of this football team and does not need to micromanage.
Be supportive and be there at the Spring Practice Game in record numbers. GO TIGERS!

Jan 9, 2011, 2:50 PM

I could not agree more. I thought the Dabo hire was a bad hire. I have been proven right thus far, but I so desperately want to be proven wrong. This move gives me a little more faith. He is not the Xs and Os guy and he must realize that. Recruit, manage, and manage the game on game day outside of the offensive and defensive play calls. He is going to have to really make the right hires with coordinators ala Bobby Bowden to make this thing work. And then get out of their way. I really really hope he learned this last year. Of course, it does not help when you hired someone that was not ready the first go round. Bottom line Morris has won at every level, and really appears to be a fantastic developer of QBs which we desperately need.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2011, 7:35 PM

This is looking a lot like the Basketball coach hire, never the big stage. He won at all the lower levels, and he isn't doing to bad with OP's recruits in a different system. Lets hope the young gun as FB OC will do the same thing. Surely the dumpers will hate it but, they will have to learn to live with it, or go for another team they can dump on....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2011, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Report: Morris to Clemson ]

Not a mistake. It's gonna be awesome. Just what we needed. Go Dabo!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Welcome to Clemson!***

Jan 9, 2011, 5:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Report: Morris to Clemson ]

He was oane heck of a high school coach!***

Jan 9, 2011, 11:05 AM

you don't have to be 50 to have a good system

Jan 9, 2011, 11:08 AM

it just helps to actually have one
which we haven't

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My biggest gripe with Napier was he was inexperienced and

Jan 9, 2011, 11:21 AM

if we are going to have an inexperienced head coach, we should have the best OC money can buy.

Napier and Morris may both turn out to be great coaches in the next 30 years...but it will be unlikely that Tiger fans will wait 30 years for them to do it here.

My thoughts exactly. Hope dabo made the right choice***

Jan 9, 2011, 11:25 AM

Morris isn't inexperienced.

Jan 9, 2011, 11:47 AM [ in reply to My biggest gripe with Napier was he was inexperienced and ]

It's just that his experience was at a different level until last year. He has far more experience than Napier did when he was hired.

Re: Morris isn't inexperienced.

Jan 9, 2011, 12:16 PM

He has a ton of HS experience. I do beleive that experience is experience no matter where you got it, as long as you can make it work. And what makes it work no matter what level you are applying it is, are you smart enough to adjust. His track record shows that at every job and the level of the job, he has tweaked it to work at that level. With the talent we have, there is plenty of room to do a lot of tweaking to make his system work. Our past 20 year track record makes us all worry about, will it work at Clemson.
Coach Morris, the talent is at Clemson now, with a ton more coming in next month. Now it is time to see if your majic will work on the big time stage.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2011, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Morris isn't inexperienced. ]

Exactly, right on.

Gerry Faust says "hello".

Jan 9, 2011, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Morris isn't inexperienced. ]

Prior to Notre Dame, Faust had been one of the more successful high school football coaches in the country. As coach of Moeller High School in Cincinnati, Ohio he amassed a 174-17-2 record. Despite his success in the high school ranks, his success at Notre Dame was mixed and his record mediocre at best. In his first season the Irish finished 5-6. The most successful years under Faust were the 1983 and 1984 campaigns where the Irish finished 7-5 and made trips to the Liberty Bowl and Aloha Bowl respectively. His final record at Notre Dame was 30-26-1. Faust resigned at the end of the 1985 season to take over as head coach for the University of Akron.

Well we did not hire Morris as the HC...

Jan 9, 2011, 12:39 PM

just sayin...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You gonna do something or just stand there and bleed?"

Good thing we didn't hire Gerry Faust.***

Jan 9, 2011, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Gerry Faust says "hello". ]

Re: Gerry Faust says "hello".

Jan 9, 2011, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Gerry Faust says "hello". ]

Morris in not the head coach.

Rich Rodriguez says hello to you***

Jan 9, 2011, 10:09 PM [ in reply to Gerry Faust says "hello". ]

Jan 9, 2011, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Morris isn't inexperienced. ]

This is true. Hope it translates.

Jeff Scott was a good high school coach.

Jan 9, 2011, 11:16 AM

Now he coaches recievers to drop passes.

Would please explain how you teach

Jan 9, 2011, 5:10 PM

these young to catch a freaking football when they have been playing all of their life. I do not understand how you teach someone who gets to college how to catch a football. Either they know how or they do not. At this level is should be simple-catch the ### ball or your butt is going to get to set the pine. This is not Pop Warner football.

Exactly! I've tried arguing this to no avail

Jan 9, 2011, 6:20 PM

Good luck

then why have an WR coach to begin with...

Jan 9, 2011, 6:20 PM [ in reply to Would please explain how you teach ]

you can teach them proper technique how to go up at highest point to catch ball.

Clemson can recruit in Texas!!!

Jan 9, 2011, 11:19 AM

One thing no one is talking about is how this opens up Texas recruiting to Clemson.

This is a smart move for Dabo. Let's hope players can learn Morris' plays and system quickly.

Re: Clemson can recruit in Texas!!!

Jan 9, 2011, 11:23 AM

Recruiting wasn't the problem.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hatfield tried that... How did that work out?***

Jan 9, 2011, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Clemson can recruit in Texas!!! ]

Re: Hatfield tried that... How did that work out?***

Jan 9, 2011, 12:58 PM

Big difference...Morris is better liked than Hatfield ever was.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hatfield tried that... How did that work out?***

Jan 9, 2011, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Hatfield tried that... How did that work out?*** ]

OUCH!!! good point...why you'd have to bring it up :)

Very well... 32-13-1 and ACC Champs***

Jan 9, 2011, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Hatfield tried that... How did that work out?*** ]

I think John Leake is the only significant recruit we have

Jan 9, 2011, 3:10 PM [ in reply to Clemson can recruit in Texas!!! ]

had out of Texas in the last 20 years, maybe longer. I don't think we will see any impact from recruiting in Texas.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think John Leake is the only significant recruit we have

Jan 9, 2011, 7:06 PM

Does the name Darnell Stephens ring a bell? There was a decent offensive lineman from Texas that we had after DF as well.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get in line behind

Jan 9, 2011, 7:36 PM [ in reply to Clemson can recruit in Texas!!! ]

Texas, A+M, OU, OSU, Nebraska, Arkansas, LSU, Texas Tech and Baylor

I hope this expands recruiting to Texas

Jan 9, 2011, 11:20 AM

and I am looking forward to spread and no huddle!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of 2008
Go Tigers!

Re: I hope this expands recruiting to Texas

Jan 9, 2011, 12:54 PM

I dont see a whole lot of accolades on the colegiate level....The TCU guy is proven...I do hope Morris is what we need, but his background IMO is very thin....I sort of wonder if this guy is like Spence, running up big numbers against nobody's and then getting punked by good teams.

Re: I hope this expands recruiting to Texas

Jan 9, 2011, 2:58 PM

You bring up a very good point and this would be my concern as well. Spences O ruled the roost until he got to Clemson. As long as he can scheme and make adjustments he will do fine. Spence simply could not make an adjustment once teams figured out that he was not a quick thinker and his default was the WR screen of some sort. Look at it this way if Morris fails the entire thing will be blown up at the end of next year. It would have been this way anyway.

Welcome to Clemson Coach Morris . . .

Jan 9, 2011, 11:20 AM

don't listen to the dumpers or the pumpers.
Go win football games and you will be loved by all.

Jan 9, 2011, 11:57 AM

welcome to Clemson Nation Coach Morris. Good luck to you and the rest of the Coachs for a GREAT 2011 season.

I, for one, am very excited! Excellent hire.

Jan 9, 2011, 12:04 PM

Welcome to Clemson, Coach Morris!

Sounds fantastic---Wonder why he moved around so much??

Jan 9, 2011, 12:03 PM

Love seeing the stats & pedigree that he has developed, but it makes me wonder why he's moved around so much in the past. Will he be getting that itch again in 2 years and take off from Clemson? Larry Brown Syndrome is a dangerous reputation, especially in college where you are being entrusted by parents to 'look over their kids'.

I know I shouldn't be such an "Eeyore", but it's a legit angle to consider...maybe I'll get to enjoy it for many years to come with the exciting new talent that we've had commit to the Tigers in the last year or two.

The way I see it, we need immediate results . . .

Jan 9, 2011, 12:07 PM

It's not yet time to think about how long he'll stick around. If next season goes sour, then we're looking at a whole staff overhaul. Coach Swinney needs someone to make an IMMEDIATE impact, and Coach Morris has shown he can do it. The test is whether he can do it at the next level. A lot is riding on this, and I happen to be optimistic, especially given that we have a roster of offensive playmakers ideally suited to Coach Morris's scheme.

Re: The way I see it, we need immediate results . . .

Jan 9, 2011, 12:21 PM

Come on, how can you compare Jeff Scott's experience and Napier's experience in coaching to this guy Morris?? (BTW, I dont think Scott teaches his receivers how to DROP the ball as another person on here suggested) It is not even close, look at the Texas schools he coached at. Most of them are bigger than some of the Colleges around here. Im sure he will know what to do at Clemson, and BTW...the High school level guys he was coaching all of those years, those are all the same kind of guys that are graduating and committing to Clemson. He will still be coaching kids, helping to become better Players and Men.
I think we will be fine with this guy>>
Just my Opinion.

Wait a sec, you weren't replying to me, were you?!

Jan 9, 2011, 1:00 PM

I'm optimistic about Coach Morris. I really think he's the right guy for the job, especially given his experience with QUICKLY implementing his system and yielding results.

Re: The way I see it, we need immediate results . . .

Jan 9, 2011, 1:19 PM [ in reply to The way I see it, we need immediate results . . . ]

agreed

Re: Sounds fantastic---Wonder why he moved around so much??

Jan 9, 2011, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Sounds fantastic---Wonder why he moved around so much?? ]

high school football in Texas is not like South Carolina's football. coaches dont stay at schools for ten years because if they lose three games they are fired.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sounds fantastic---Wonder why he moved around so much??

Jan 9, 2011, 1:19 PM [ in reply to Sounds fantastic---Wonder why he moved around so much?? ]

the answer is MONEY.

welcome back Nap...opps i ment welcome morris***

Jan 9, 2011, 12:25 PM

You probably thought we were getting Rich Rod didnt you?***

Jan 9, 2011, 1:10 PM

Welcome Mr. Morris, show em' how we do it in Texas!***

Jan 9, 2011, 12:28 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Texas folks have the ghey***

Jan 9, 2011, 1:27 PM

I was right again, Dabo is just incompetent***

Jan 9, 2011, 12:58 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Disagree

Jan 9, 2011, 1:16 PM

This guy has been coaching and WINNING consistently for almost 20 years. This includes big games (HS Championships), and an adaptive offense that is obviously disruptive and effective against the opponents defense. This only happens if you are an effective game planner and trusted by your players. I know this was on the HS level, but I believe his offense scheme will be effective: hurry up, no huddle spread is what is winning games.

Additionally, this guy has some major ties in TX, how many players have we gotten from there?

Disagree***

Jan 9, 2011, 2:00 PM [ in reply to I was right again, Dabo is just incompetent*** ]

Jan 9, 2011, 1:13 PM

One good thing... Morris is 42, thus by definition...a man.

Dabo is all in now for sure. Hope he's right.***

Jan 9, 2011, 1:17 PM

Jan 9, 2011, 1:26 PM

I'm good with the hire. It's water under the bridge now, but I'm just not happy with the way Dabo disrespected an old school talent like Friedgen by not at least throwing the guy an interview. He's coached some good offensive football over the years.

Go Morris !!! Go TIGERS !!!

If he had interviewed F, it would have been "why?"...

Jan 9, 2011, 3:28 PM

No win. He got the guy he wanted. Up to him to show it was the right choice now.

Whoo hooo, whoo hoo hoo hoooooo! Big time offense is back.***

Jan 9, 2011, 2:01 PM

BAN THE WOO HOO!!!!!*******

Jan 9, 2011, 3:26 PM

Tremendous hire!!!***

Jan 9, 2011, 2:33 PM

Who says HS coaches can't be successful in college?

Jan 9, 2011, 2:45 PM

Don't forget about another OC who made the jump for HS to college....

Gus Malzahn got his start as the defensive coordinator at Hughes High School in 1991. He became head coach in 1992 and in 1994 Hughes reached the state championship game with an upset of Pine Bluff Dollarway. Hughes fell just short in the title game, losing to Lonoke on an interception in the final minute.

Malzahn's success at Hughes and his wide-open attack landed him a head coaching position at Shiloh Christian in 1996. From 1996-2000, he transformed Shiloh Christian into one of the most dynamic offensive prep squads in the nation. In 1998, Shiloh Christian set a national record with 66 passing touchdowns for the season, while quarterback Josh Floyd nearly set an individual national record with 5,878 total yards (5,221 passing, 657 rushing).[2] Malzahn guided the Saints to back-to-back state championships in 1998 and 1999.

In 2001, Malzahn took over for legendary coach Jarrell Williams at Springdale High School. Malzahn continued the rich tradition of the Bulldogs’ program. He led the program to two state championship game appearances in his last four years, winning the title in 2005.

Malzahn led his squad to the state title game in only his second season in 2002. The Bulldogs lost a hard-fought 17-10 decision to Fort Smith Southside.

Springdale was on track for another state title game appearance in 2004 before Little Rock Central sidetracked the Bulldogs’ title hopes in the state semifinals. Springdale was upset by the eventual state champion, 31-20. The Bulldogs finished the season at 12-1.

Malzahn's 2005 squad at Springdale went 14-0, easily won the state’s Class 5A championship, outscored its opponents 664-118, including a 54-20 victory over West Memphis in the state championship game, and was consistently ranked among the top 10 teams in the nation.

I was thinking the exact same thing...

Jan 9, 2011, 6:03 PM

the apple must not have fallen far from the tree!

No way Morris can be successful.....................

Jan 9, 2011, 3:57 PM

because he's really Tommy Bowden, Rob Spence, Gerry Faust, Ken Hatfield, and every other coach who's ever been at Clemson since Danny Ford.

To those who think Dabo acted in Haste...

Jan 9, 2011, 4:53 PM

...as a man who has hired and fired dozens in my career, I can tell you that with every position on my current staff, there is a replacement candidate already chosen in my head. Great managers (not calling myself great) have a replacement person in mind at all times. If you think Dabo didn't have Morris in his sites long before Napier was let go, then you've never been in high level management and clearly don't understand the vaule of being prepared to replace your most valuable personnel.

If you haven't walked it, don't talk it.

RU

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

just b/c he had somebody in mind (maybe) doesn't mean

Jan 9, 2011, 6:06 PM

it's a smart move!! Just ignore RF who absolutely dominated us as an OC and managed to beat us the majority of the time as HC??

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: just b/c he had somebody in mind (maybe) doesn't mean

Jan 9, 2011, 6:22 PM

Yes, IGNORE RF. RF does not run the offense CDS wants to run so why bother wasting both of their time?

CDS is the HEAD coach, it's his job to make or break. If this turns out to be a good hire he'll be here a long time. If it's a bust...well some on here will get what they've wanted for awhile now

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dabo hired the first and only person interviewd...

Jan 9, 2011, 6:19 PM

all of the other names were just smoke and mirrors.next if this one doesnt work out he will hire a 10 year old as an up and coming OC.

Re: dabo hired the first and only person interviewd...

Jan 9, 2011, 7:27 PM

Ahhh, there was the interview With Morris Monday and Tuesday. And the interview with Fuente from TCU At the end of this week. Yes Dabo was set on Morris, but tell the truth of the story. And not a made up one just to make Dabo look worst than it all ready is. Just sayin!!!

Fuzzy Duck said:***

Jan 9, 2011, 6:58 PM

Re: Fuzzy Duck said:***

Jan 9, 2011, 7:00 PM

oops
"I dont see a whole lot of accolades on the colegiate level....The TCU guy is proven...I do hope Morris is what we need, but his background IMO is very thin....I sort of wonder if this guy is like Spence, running up big numbers against nobody's and then getting punked by good teams."

Fuente is 31 years old.
Is co-oc and has never called plays.
Sure is proven.
Morris has won state titles in hs texas football at 5 different schools

He ran up 28 on Notre Dame with Tulsa players.

Welcome coach morris

another guy hired for his potential!***

Jan 9, 2011, 9:20 PM

Re: another guy hired for his potential!***

Jan 10, 2011, 9:13 AM

Dabo knows the weight this carries. I think he's smart enough to know he lives or dies by this decision, therefore, it couldn't have been a loosy-goosy decision.

I too have my reservations. College is a huge leap from High School and Clemson is a huge leap from Tulsa. I'm rooting for this guy with everything in me, but I'm a little hesitant to say this is a great hire.

Just the same ... GO TIGERS!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson NC in 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

Jan 10, 2011, 9:14 AM

Replies: 73
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic