Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Where would you rate Brad vs OP in player development?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Where would you rate Brad vs OP in player development?

Feb 24, 2019, 11:07 AM

I think OP did a better job in the players seemingly getting better. This could also be influenced by me being a little disappointed in what I thought would be a very good year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think BBs players definitely get better during the course of the year

Feb 24, 2019, 11:10 AM

And increase basketball skill. OP was all effort and athletes. Both coaches great D but I feel like the guys BB recruits wind up better shooters. OP was all about the elite athlete. There were a couple guys that could rip like ogelsby, but that was not very consistent. Not a huge difference between success (haven’t looked at records), but BB did make a sweet 16. Can a team win at Clemson, and be a annual tourney team? I think they can, and BB is close but how long will continuing to not make the tourney consistently last? Long shot to get in this year, and if we miss out next year also I only see one more year tops (next year will be his 10th I believe)

Message was edited by: MoneyMike23®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think BBs players definitely get better during the course of the year

Feb 24, 2019, 11:25 AM

Thanks for your thoughts. I think my current disappointment my be clouding my view. OP did always have those freak athletes. I think James Mays improved greatly under OP. Can't remember who was Coach but I remember Jerai Grant taking a big step forward in his improvement.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2019, 11:36 AM

OP did not effectively adjust during games. It was full gas from start with pressure D and breaks and threes. We would either beat the brakes off a team, run out of gas in close games and get outclassed OR when the other team had better athletes...we lost. OP did not do a good job coaching late in games. His stated philosophy on not fouling when we were up late by three and the other team hit a three for overtime was frustrating as H3ll to me. We usually lost in overtime. Definitely don't want him back.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2019, 11:52 AM

I think that OP could have taken a player like Devoe .. AND RUINED HIM!

Some of you coaches seem to have forgotten last year when Grantham went down with a season ending injury and the team played winning basketball right up to the close loss to Kansas! This just didn’t happen. It happened because the coach was able to regroup the team and keep the ball rolling! Devoe took over after DGs injury and led the team to many big wins. He scored 75 points in the three tournament games against top flight competition. No one else in college basketball was as productive as he was. If that UK game had lasted another minute the Tigers would have been in the final eight. NO WAY Purnell could have done that.
I’ll be surprised if Reed doesn’t take over if the remaining games and get the Tigers into the championship again. He got off to a good start yesterday.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Purnell brought in players that were better as FR

Feb 24, 2019, 11:42 AM

than Brownell.. much better actually. They improved a bit too, but a lot of his recruits were just flat out better right from day 1 and were able to contribute as FR. I think Brad's players actually develop quite a bit, the problem is that most of them require 2-3 years under him to become good ACC players. We've had very few FR under Brad that were able to contribute anything positive.

Re: Where would you rate Brad vs OP in player development?

Feb 24, 2019, 11:50 AM

Personally speaking, I always thought Oliver was overrated, better suited for coaching in the North and frankly was not very pleased with how he apparently left Clemson in the"middle of the night".
As far as recruiting, he recruited some good athletes, but never, IMO, good basketball players.
Brad, on the other hand, can seem to recruit good basketball players, but he can't seem to put together, year in, and year out a competitive team like Dabo does in football.
Granted, we are not a basketball school, but we should be able to compete with every school in the conference not named Duke, UNC, or Virginia. So far not so good.
By the way, neither coach has a winning conference record( in 7 seasons Oliver was 50-62-.446) with a 3rd place finish, and 3 consecutive NCAA appearances, losing all in the first round, whereas Brad is 73-81-.571 through his 10th season with two trips, one a Sweet Sixteen appearance.
Maybe Oliver's players did get better, but the results are still comparing oranges to oranges.
You get what you pick.

How many players did each put in the NBA?

Feb 24, 2019, 12:36 PM

I think it's pretty bad either way. Both would be in the bottom half of the ACC, probably the bottom quarter. We can argue all day about whether it's poor recruiting or poor development, but the bottom line is bad, so I don't know that it matters that much. We need to improve in both areas.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

OP for sure !

Feb 24, 2019, 3:36 PM

His style was more attune to modern basketball, how guys he coached made it to the NBA vs Brownell ? That I think is a good indicator.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OP for sure !

Feb 24, 2019, 6:30 PM

His style? Name a top-10 NCAA or any NBA that presses. Name a OP coaching tree coach that has a better record than BB. Shaka at Texas. Nope. Morrell at UNCA, nope (granted his first season).

The OP press is CJP's flexbone. It kinda works until it doesn't, teams wise up, prepare and take you down. Then you no longer have a scheme that can work. Even OP's press was losing effectiveness in his last two years. It is out of favor (want modern D look at Bennett).

BB has actually had a better player development streak. The only big difference was a undersized PF recruited at Wofford and Clemson only and would be a mid-grade NBA player. OP rode him to the end but never got any hardware from him. Booker. If it wasn't for booker, OP would not have been missed... and I don't know if anyone thought booker was that much of a hidden gem.

BB 3, OP 2. No matter which way you cut it BB is the better coach. BB actually develops better.

OP's NBA kids: Booker and Ford
BB's kids: KC, Blossomgame, Grantham

Re: Where would you rate Brad vs OP in player development?

Feb 24, 2019, 5:07 PM

OP had no offense either. He had a scoring D

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Did you people not read the study from shaking...

Feb 24, 2019, 6:49 PM

The Southland on Brad’s recruiting compared to OP and Barnes???

https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2019/2/21/18231423/deep-dive-into-brad-brownells-recruiting

OP’s staff was a lot better at developing players across the board. His assistants like Dr Bradley, Shaka Smart and Will Wade helped with development. Just about everyone got better each year.

Brad had only two players that got better each year in KJ and Blossomgame. Grantham and DeVoe got a lot better only in their senior year.

Brad has had a lot of players that either showed flashes as freshmen but tapered off after their first and second year, or players that never really showed much their freshmen year and never really improved.

OP players like Mays, Hammonds, Hamilton, KC Rivers, Sykes, Grant, and Stitt got better each year.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic