Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
DJ Swearinger
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

DJ Swearinger

Dec 1, 2012, 10:59 AM

We NEED players with his ferocity. The man eats lightning and craps thunder. He has mounted heads of his opponents over his fireplace. The guy is an animal. Our defense NEEDS players with this level of controlled RAGE. I only hope we can get it, but with a little more self control after the whistle.

4 in a row just won\'t cut it. We need to dismantle them at their place next season.

Got TIGERS! WIN OUT!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DJ Swearinger

Dec 1, 2012, 11:02 AM

you are correct coot fan.. Clemson will not win again until we have thugs like you. And we lower our academic standards to the minimum of the SEC (like UGA and Florida) your coach said it.

Dec 1, 2012, 11:04 AM

I never said ANY of that. I\'m not a coot fan, but I do know our defense needs to play with the aggression that was automatic with Clemson defenses of the past. Lower academic standards? Stanford and ND BOTH have stellar defenses, and their academic standards are likely tougher than ours.

Dec 1, 2012, 11:10 AM

Spurrier said five years ago that unless the academic standards were lowered to the minimum of those that mirroed those of Florida and UGA, he would quit

Notre Dame has nothing to do with thugs playing... we are not talking about them but about USC/Columbia Jr. College

Dec 1, 2012, 11:18 AM

Florida and Georgia are in that special club of top-20 public universities that we have been chasing.

Dec 1, 2012, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Re: DJ Swearinger ]

No, I am talking about defensive players playing like the opposing offenses stole their girlfriends.

Dec 1, 2012, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: DJ Swearinger ]

You do know that DJ was on the honor roll in high school,rght!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2012, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Re: DJ Swearinger ]

Do we really think our academic standards for athletes are that high? Mike Bellamy got in for crying out loud. Lets get off our high horse, this isn't Vandy or Stanford.

Dec 1, 2012, 11:12 AM

Ask Becky Bowen.... our academic standards must meet a minimum that UGA, USC/Columbia Jr. Collge and Florida do not have to meet.. As a restult... they can have players play for them that can not play for us...

and.. not talking about Standord or Vandy..

Just say No to thugs! We could use some mean streaks on

Dec 1, 2012, 11:02 AM

Def but please let USuc keep the thugs

Re: Just say No to thugs! We could use some mean streaks on

Dec 1, 2012, 11:05 AM

Agreed, no thugs, but we do need some soul eaters on D, no?

Dec 1, 2012, 11:04 AM

Agreed, this is football you need players with his attitude. Our defense needs an intimidating presence.

Dec 1, 2012, 11:06 AM

PRECISELY what I was saying.

There is a line for me

Dec 1, 2012, 11:10 AM

Hard-nosed tough aggressive players who will hit and hit hard are necessary for a defense.

The constant attitude display I'm not so sure is part of that equation though.

But in the end, we can ask ourselves "WOuld we have been better last Saturday night if DJ was in Orange instead of Garnet?" I think the answer to that is obvious. Would it be worth the (potential, I suppose) downside? I'd guess so, but that is the entire question isn't it?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I suspect that these kids wouldn't behave that way

Dec 1, 2012, 11:18 AM

if they played for Dabo.

Should the kids know better? Absolutely. But it's the adults' responsibility to make sure they do.

Re: I suspect that these kids wouldn\'t behave that way

Dec 1, 2012, 11:21 AM

You are making my point for me. COACHING breeds the attitude. The rage comes from the reptile mind, and we need some monsters on D to match our offense.

Re: I disagree. There have been many great defensive

Dec 1, 2012, 11:25 AM

players who manage to carry themselves with class. I don't have too much of a problem with Swearinger's play before the whistle - it's all the play and carrying on after the whistle that are unnecessary.

You don't see players from Alabama or LSU carrying on like that. Their coaches wouldn't tolerate it, "reptile mind" or not!

Re: I disagree. There have been many great defensive

Dec 1, 2012, 11:26 AM

And, for what it is worth, I said he would need control after the whistle, so we are on the same page.

Article by Tony Morrell

Dec 1, 2012, 11:27 AM

When safety D.J. Swearinger signed with South Carolina four years ago, he made a vow that the Gamecocks wouldn’t lose to the Clemson Tigers a single time during his career. At the time, South Carolina had lost six of their last seven games against their rivals and there were few signs that Swearinger could fulfill his promise. However, he did just that and he accomplished it the old fashioned way through hard work and leadership.

Safety D.J. Swearinger will leave USC with a perfect 4-0 record against Clemson.

For motivation, Swearinger borrowed a page from who I consider the best athlete of all time - Michael Jordan - who was famous for holding grudges against anyone who doubted him. I first got a taste of Swearinger’s approach back when he was a recruit and still committed to the University of Tennessee. For several months he would keep me posted on his recruiting via text message, usually unsolicited, which made my job much easier.

However, at some point in the process before he switched his pledge to the Gamecocks, he received the impression that I was the one responsible for Columbia (S.C.) safety Chris Payne being ranked ahead of him in the Rivals rankings. Even though that wasn’t the case, he made his feelings clear to me and I’m not sure he’s spoken to me since that day.

As for why he took the “revenge is a dish best served with cold cuts” (Sopranos reference) approach with Clemson, it’s because their staff was never sold on him as a player. They recruited him and thought he was a good high school player, bu they had questions about his speed at the college level. They did offer him in January, a few weeks before signing day, but it was too late. He was in the fold with the Gamecocks and already had vengeance on his mind.

I felt compelled to write this article because I have seen a ridiculous number of insults hurled Swearinger’s way by Clemson fans since his huge hit and subsequent taunting of running back Andre Ellington in last weekend's match up between the two teams. They’ve called him a “thug” and said his grades weren’t good enough to get into Clemson. They’ve said they wouldn’t want him on their team under any circumstances and that he will spend more time in jail than he will the NFL.

Such assertions are all ridiculous. First off, Swearinger was a strong student in high school, finishing with over a 3.0 GPA at Greenwood, and that carried over to his college career as well. Greenwood coach Shell Dula once called him the “smartest football player he’s ever coached.” He has never been in trouble for any reason during his four-year career in Columbia and has been one of the best player leaders to ever grace the field at Williams-Brice Stadium. His offseason work ethic was such that the strength coaches had to slow him down for fear that he would overwork his body. He was the tone setter for this football team on and off the field.

It seems many of these Clemson fans have forgotten what toughness on defense looks like. While Swearinger obviously shouldn’t have taunted Ellington after the hit, there was nothing dirty or illegal about the play itself. Swearinger’s eyes lit up like a Christmas tree when he saw his opportunity to make a huge hit and he took advantage of it. As it turned out, the penalty didn’t matter because of Tajh Boyd’s interception three plays later, and it was also obvious the Clemson receivers knew where Swearinger was the rest of the game.

There is no doubt Swearinger will be missed at South Carolina, but there also is no question that he made his mark during his four years in Columbia. He helped lead the Gamecocks to four straight wins over Clemson, something they hadn’t accomplished since 1951-1954. He also helped change the culture of the program with his leadership, work ethic and fearlessness and, for that, Gamecock fans should be forever indebted to him.

Re: Article by Tony Morrell

Dec 1, 2012, 11:35 AM

What ever happened to the hard hitting players that would knock you out of your shoes then help you back up..instead of standing over you like a thug showboating. There is such a thing as being a hard hitter and playing with class..something swearinger knows nothing about.

Re: Article by Tony Morrell

Dec 1, 2012, 11:39 AM

I guess it is an eye for an eye. Read the article... People calling him a thug, a delinquent, stupid, not smart enough to get into CU.... What class is that. Clemson fans that bad mouth players based on ignorance is also, classless.

Re: Most folks only know him from what they've seen

Dec 1, 2012, 11:42 AM

on the field. Based on what I've seen on the field, I can certainly see how people would come to the conclusions you noted.

If it takes DJ Swearinger, as he currently is, to win ballgames, I'd rather lose. I think it's hilarious that the article compared him to Michael Jordan - you ever see Jordan act like that?

Give me a team full of Swearingers

Dec 1, 2012, 12:22 PM

Thats what we need not this pansy crap Ive been seeing. I don't blame the coaches for our predicament I blame the fans for allowing and by fans I mean all of you. Instead of wanting better and getting mean players all thats done on this board is pansy complaining and using words like "class". Im sick of it. I want to win and win now and I don't mean wins over the sisters of the poor I mean wins over good competition. Im giving Dabo one last shot and he MUST win that bowl game no exceptions. Im tired of hearing woulda coulda shoulda.

Re: You'd rather have that than a defense like Alabama's?

Dec 1, 2012, 12:31 PM

I like how Alabama's defense plays tough and with class. The two qualities are not mutually exclusive.

You're giving Dabo one more chance?......

Dec 1, 2012, 6:01 PM [ in reply to Give me a team full of Swearingers ]

the what? Pretty sure you are not the new AD or Pres. Barker, so I don't think you have the power to do ANYTHING.

You quote Tonie Moron on here????

Dec 1, 2012, 11:41 AM

Bet y'all loved Duane Coleman too? We did.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You quote Tonie Moron on here????

Dec 1, 2012, 5:04 PM

I quoted no one.

We have some headhunters now and more to come

Dec 1, 2012, 11:49 AM

We have the attitude now in Townsend but the coaches seem they can get him to focus it. Next year you will see a monster in Pagano. The mean streak just needs to be let off the chain. It's coming.

Re: We have some headhunters now and more to come

Dec 1, 2012, 5:03 PM

I hope so.

Dec 1, 2012, 5:07 PM

Sorry guys but you do need someone on your D that will bring the pain and DJ does that, Yes he gets a little stupid sometimes but that attitude carries over to the other players and we really need some fire on our D, HEck our whole team in general.

Dec 1, 2012, 5:30 PM

We need guys with ferocity, not thug head hunters.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic