Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
# of 4 & 5 stars on rosters
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

# of 4 & 5 stars on rosters

Sep 27, 2019, 10:05 AM

Doing MORE with LESS

https://twitter.com/NCAAFNation247/status/1177567717777379328?s=20

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: # of 4 & 5 stars on rosters

Sep 27, 2019, 10:13 AM

You can expect this to change by next season.

By my count, based on memory, I think we can expect to lose 5 or 6 of these highly rated players at the end of this season.

This includes players who are seniors and players who we expect to go pro.

I believe all of our current 2020 recruits are in the 4-5 star category on 247.

Depending on transfers, you can add roughly 15 more to our numbers for next season.

If we continue to develop players in the same way, this should be very scary for everyone around the country!

I stopped questioning this staff on who they offer and take

Sep 27, 2019, 10:22 AM

But I have to admit that I continue to be amazed that these "feel good" signings like the Davis twins continue to impress me. I think there must be some special recipe Dabo had worked out that blends hard working 2 and 3 *s with the 4 and 5*s.

It was Hunter before, but now its Nolan Turner. The dude is a huge part of our game. So I don't care what the numbers say, this staff clearly knows what's going on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: I stopped questioning this staff on who they offer and take

Sep 27, 2019, 10:48 AM

I think it's more about finding who fits along the lines of personality, character, and work ethic than it is necessarily mixing players with different ratings.

I agree that Dabo has found guys like Turner and Renfrow who can really play that nobody knew about. He saw what they could become instead of what they were when they showed up.

Imagine if our staff can keep maximizing players' abilities in the same way, but they get to work with a roster that is 75% Lawrence, Higgins, and XT (random examples) instead of just 45% which is about where we are currently.

Sep 27, 2019, 11:25 AM [ in reply to I stopped questioning this staff on who they offer and take ]

Yes. The coaches seem to have a better sense of where recruits are emotionally, intellectually, spiritually than most other staffs. It's pretty easy to measure the physical attributes of a player, but more challenging to figure out the rest. It takes experience and wisdom. CDS, CBV, CTE and CJS seem to have these two qualities in abundance.

Sep 28, 2019, 10:27 AM [ in reply to I stopped questioning this staff on who they offer and take ]

You consistently hear about recruiting to a standard. Empirically, it sure seems like CDS and the folks know what their standards are and how to coach them up. I love the bases of this program.

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 27, 2019, 10:49 AM

The data clearly shows that we are developing better and coaching better. Doing more with less is indeed true for the Tigers!

Sep 27, 2019, 10:56 AM

All that crap is not important...once they become Tigers with Dabo & Brent and company they will all become 5 star players...that's why we are selective in who we recruit...Dumbo Fishnet at Florida State and now an Aggie gets tons of 5 star recruits and promptly converts them into 3 star recruits...that's why Dumbo won his national championship with Bobby Bowden players...old saying that applies to Dabo and Clemson..."don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"...they will all become champions at Clemmons Cow College!

Sep 27, 2019, 11:05 AM

I hate to slow your momentum but Jimbo won a national title in his 4th year as head coach at FSU.

They were all his players.

Also if you look at recent national champions, they have all been above a certain level of recruiting so this "crap" is somewhat important.

Better believe that everyone knows that Clemson has been working with a lower percentage of elite players than a few others (it gets mentioned every year come playoff time) and our 2020 class is raising a few eyebrows for what could be coming.

With that said we have still recruited at an elite level. The difference is we are trying to make the push to top 5 level recruiting instead of top 10.

Sep 28, 2019, 9:42 AM

If you really think that then you better review the recruiting cycle...If it were his fourth year or fifth year they are still going for Bobby! When you do more with less it is quite different than doing less with more...I know you see the difference! Ask anyone in football if all things went downhill at Florida State Womens College after Bobby Bowden left!

Sep 28, 2019, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Re: # of 4 & 5 stars on rosters ]

I disagree we are doing more with less. What this stat shows is that our coaches are one coaching better and 2 evaluating better. We are getting better young men which more often than not turns into more coachable players and better football players. So i think our coaches are doing more with the right more.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Funny how all the media football experts that Clemson

Sep 27, 2019, 11:00 AM

..and 'Bama are the two most talented teams in College Football.

Looks like some of the competition must not be very good at evaluating talent. :)

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It would appear the Tiger's cycle isn't as

Sep 28, 2019, 10:54 AM

Flashy or fast as most on this list. What should Clemson do?

Pretty sure Wisconsin is using a soap box derby entry.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is not good

Sep 27, 2019, 11:03 AM

we are going to HAVE to catch up to Wisconsin.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: this is not good

Sep 27, 2019, 11:42 AM

Coach Chryst has also done a great job. But they need a passer and some guys who can spread defenses if they are ever going to challenge Bucknut U.

Re: this is not good

Sep 27, 2019, 1:23 PM

They also need faster DBs and more overall depth on defense.

Sep 28, 2019, 12:14 PM

This stat was true a few years ago, but we are now at a point of doing more with more. As deep as we go, we only put 45 people on the field against A&M excluding special teams. How relevant is the number of high rated players that you have on the bench? We led the number of players seeing the field by a wide margin last year, so the rest of the top 10 will have more top players riding the pine.

We also do not cast players aside who are not living up to expectations on the field to make room like the top SEC teams. When you couple that with the fact that Dabo likes to reward walk ons with a scholarship when he can, it means we will never have the number of recruits that most top teams do. Without the numbers, we rate lower in most recruiting rankings.

Now we are doing more with more. We are separating ourselves from every other program. We would be at least 2 touchdown favorites over 6-10. I keep expecting to have to come to the conclusion that the best is no longer yet to come, but right now I just don't see the end in sight. It is a great time to be a Tiger.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic