Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bring Concerts Back to Death Valley!!!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 69
| visibility 1

Bring Concerts Back to Death Valley!!!

Dec 12, 2018, 12:37 PM

A lot of the younger crowd (30 & under) probably have no idea this was ever a thing.

Why did we stop, anyone know? Would love a huge concert in Death Valley to become an annual thing again.

1989 - Living Colour
1989 - The Rolling Stones
1994 - Pink Floyd
1995 - Elton John & Billy Joel
1996 - The Eagles
1997 - Rage Against the Machine
1997 - U2
1999 - George Straight Festival

Message was edited by: CtLiEgMeSrOsN®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw The Stones (89) and the Eagles (96).***

Dec 12, 2018, 12:39 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I saw The Stones (89) and the Eagles (96).***

Dec 12, 2018, 12:41 PM

I saw The Eagles, was excellent. I too was quite young so I didn’t get to go to all of them.

But my older brother went to Floyd and Elton John/Billy Joel, both epic.

Re: I saw The Stones (89) and the Eagles (96).***

Dec 12, 2018, 7:27 PM [ in reply to I saw The Stones (89) and the Eagles (96).*** ]

I was a student when The Stones came. If memory serves me correctly, the coots were approached first about having the concert at WB but it was denied. So Clemson got The Stones. I seem to remember tee shirts came out saying "Name three things DV has that WB doesn't: The Hill, The Rock, and The Stones."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Concerts in Death Valley

Dec 12, 2018, 12:41 PM

I’m sure the balloon people made the concerts go away too.

Dec 12, 2018, 1:19 PM

I'm just guessing that the liability might be a factor in why it's no longer done .

Dec 12, 2018, 1:21 PM

How so?

It can’t have any more/less risk/reward than bringing a ranked UGA to town.

Dec 12, 2018, 12:44 PM

I saw George Strait there in 95 or 96 or 97???

Dec 12, 2018, 12:46 PM

1999, that wasn’t listed on the site I got info from, but great info. Had forgotten about that one.

Love some George. It was a huge country music festival too with lots of great artists.

Dec 12, 2018, 2:49 PM

Yep, that was it. I remember Tim McGraw and Faith Hill were also there but King George was the headliner.

Dec 12, 2018, 9:41 PM

and Kenny Cheney, Jo Dee Messina, and the Dixie Chicks. Great Concert!!!

Dec 12, 2018, 2:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Concerts in Death Valley ]

All My Exes Live in Texas ... throw in LBB’s exes and we could fill up The Cotton Bowl. Ahh, the good ole days ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was at the Stones/Living Colour concert

Dec 12, 2018, 12:48 PM

Good times

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: I was at the Stones/Living Colour concert

Dec 12, 2018, 2:45 PM

You sound old.

Like - REALLY old.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Littlejohn used to host some great concerts too...

Dec 12, 2018, 12:50 PM

I saw the Doobie Brothers, Three Dog Knight, Billy Joel and Boston (just to name a few). If I remember correctly, Sammy Hagar opened for Boston and Loggins and Massina opened for the Doobie Brothers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Littlejohn used to host some great concerts too...

Dec 12, 2018, 12:52 PM

I’ve also seen several in LJ, comedians too.

I think that should also happen once or twice a year.

But a DV concert would have to be a big name. It’s a different thing when you’re at a concert with 100k people (they’ll sit the field too).

Dec 12, 2018, 2:02 PM

Went to see Cheech and Chong in LJ in the early 70's. They had this Southern rock warm-up band that nobody had heard of - Lynyrd Skynryd. The crowd booed Cheech and Chong when they came on because they wanted more Skynryd.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Dec 12, 2018, 2:04 PM

Very cool story. Thanks for sharing!

^^^ bring back the opening band ^^^^

Dec 12, 2018, 7:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Littlejohn used to host some great concerts too... ]

Like when Tesla opened for Def Leppard in '87/'88.
Tesla KILLED it and then Def Leppard comes out and we're all looking at each other like "this is IT?"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My dad has told me about that Doobie Brothers concert.

Dec 12, 2018, 4:02 PM [ in reply to Littlejohn used to host some great concerts too... ]

Two drummers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Well, you missed the best ones at Littlejohn! From 69-72, I saw...

Dec 12, 2018, 11:15 PM [ in reply to Littlejohn used to host some great concerts too... ]

Allman Brothers(with Duane) twice, Marshall Tucker AND Lynyrd Skynyrd opening for Chuck Berry, Jethro Tull, Rod Stewart, Deep Purple, Ike & Tina Turner(helluva show!), Chicago, James Gang w/Joe Walsh, Wet Willie, Uriah Heep, and several others I can't even remember right now!

Marshall Tucker and Skynyrd were before they hit it big, and were opening for Chuck Berry! But most of the others I listed were there right in the peak of their popularity! I remember Rod Stewart was there just a few months after the release of Maggie May and the huge "Every Picture Tells a Story" album.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes!

Dec 12, 2018, 1:02 PM

My parents took me along to the Eagles in 96. That was my first concert and it was great.

Re: Yes!

Dec 12, 2018, 1:04 PM

Same here!!!

I was 11 years old. I’ve always loved the Eagles and that was such a vivid memory.

The whole family was there, we tailgated. Good stuff.

Re: Bring Concerts Back to Death Valley!!!

Dec 12, 2018, 1:12 PM

I remember the Rage/U2 show. I think there was this mechanical yellow egg looking thing (maybe a lemon) that came out into the crowd and when it opened up Bono was in it.

Dec 12, 2018, 1:17 PM

Heard a story about Floyd where they played this airplane jet sound through the speakers that VERY SLOWLY got louder in volume for about an hour before the concert.

Initially people (who were likely consuming mind altering suvstances) thought they were imagining it. Eventually it became clear there was a sound and they weren’t crazy.

Right about the time it got so loud you were concerned...BOOM..the lights came up and Floyd woke the crowd.

My buddy told me it was the best concert intro he’s ever seen.

Would love to hear someone else confirm this story.

Dec 12, 2018, 7:33 PM

Heard a story about Floyd where they played this airplane jet sound through the speakers that VERY SLOWLY got louder in volume for about an hour before the concert.

Initially people (who were likely consuming mind altering suvstances) thought they were imagining it. Eventually it became clear there was a sound and they weren’t crazy.

Right about the time it got so loud you were concerned...BOOM..the lights came up and Floyd woke the crowd.

My buddy told me it was the best concert intro he’s ever seen.

Would love to hear someone else confirm this story.

I was there. I can confirm this.

Dec 12, 2018, 8:26 PM

Sick. Awesome.

man that was an odd mix***

Dec 12, 2018, 10:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Bring Concerts Back to Death Valley!!! ]

I set up chairs for Rolling Stones and worked the field.....

Dec 12, 2018, 1:19 PM

Several things I remember about that concert:

They gave us a shirt that had Rolling Stones on the front and Event Staff on the back. After the concert a guy approached me and said how much for your shirt. I said $100. He said how bout $75 I said deal, took it off and rode my motorcycle home with no shirt.

On the field in Death Valley they were hauling people off right and left for trying to smoke marijuana and being too drunk. I was stunned by how people kept thinking they would get away with it see others hauled off. Maybe this is why they don't have concerts at Death Valley anymore.

I recall one of the giant inflatable dolls failed to fully inflate on their song Honkey Tonk Women.

I was exhausted from being there since that morning setting up chairs. They didn't pay us enough to seem worth it but after I got the $75 for the shirt it was worth it. It was cool seeing them come warm up before the show.

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Re: I set up chairs for Rolling Stones and worked the field.....

Dec 12, 2018, 1:42 PM

Yeah I remember one the Honky Tonk Women kind of "bending over". It was quite comical if I remember.

Mick Jagger started bouncing on it...

Dec 12, 2018, 1:52 PM

and it made it look like it was giving itself a hand job.

It was pretty hilarious.

Stones and Face to Face (John&Joel) tour here.***

Dec 12, 2018, 1:21 PM

Re: Stones and Face to Face (John&Joel) tour here.***

Dec 12, 2018, 1:23 PM

Yeah man, I heard the dualing pianos were an epic site to behold.

Re: Stones and Face to Face (John&Joel) tour here.***

Dec 12, 2018, 1:24 PM

Honestly I was never a big Elton John fan before that but that was one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

Dec 12, 2018, 1:47 PM

In April 2016 there was actually a concert scheduled to take place in DV. The artist? Jason Derulo. As you can imagine the show was cancelled because he wouldn't have sold out LittleJohn, let alone a portion of DV.

The problem with most artists today is that any of them who are popular enough to fill a football stadium, have no interest playing in places other than big cities. Maybe there will be a one off who would give us a look out of sheer appreciation for our elite football program but why would they risk it if they know they could just sell out Bank of America stadium of Mercedes Benz when each are within two hours of Clemson?

Dec 12, 2018, 1:58 PM

Yeah, that’s my general thought too. Didn’t know about the 2016 thing, but that’s not shocking with the artist you mentioned.

But Clemson has some national recognition at this point. It’s sellable again because of that in my opinion.

Somebody needs to call Springsteen...that’s my vote.

Dec 12, 2018, 2:14 PM

Timeline wise, wasn't the crown on the field removed around 1999 or so?

I suspect the removal of the crown along with the growing importance of football on TV, means Clemson has taken a stronger stance on use of the playing field for non-sports related reasons.

The idea being that we can't have a concert messing up our field and its prominent backdrop for televised games.

Dec 12, 2018, 2:16 PM

Summer time is perfect and our grounds crew/field is so much further advanced since 1999.

We’re past that excuse.

Dec 12, 2018, 3:04 PM

I honestly don't know, but when were the concerts you listed above played? Were they summer concerts?

Orange and White game is also probably a concern in the early spring, leaving only a very small window of opportunity before students leave and the summer doldrums set in around Clemson.

Dec 12, 2018, 9:13 PM

The Stones were in late November, otherwise, all others were April, May or June.

Post spring game. If an artist is big enough to fill a stadium, students being in school or not wouldn’t matter.

Message was edited by: CtLiEgMeSrOsN®

Do they even have concerts in Littlejohn anymore?***

Dec 12, 2018, 2:25 PM

lame ones***

Dec 12, 2018, 4:13 PM

There's something in these hills.

Dec 12, 2018, 2:31 PM

Went to the U2 concert in ‘97. Awesome! I don’t know if I’d go to another one now though. I’m already haff def as it is

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw the Stones in '89..at least I was there

Dec 12, 2018, 2:34 PM

it got fuzzy towards the end after the inflatable Honkytonk Woman appeared.

^^^ this ^^^

Dec 12, 2018, 7:02 PM

It's hard to describe how cool that moment really was.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw Elton John/Billy Joel and U2 there

Dec 12, 2018, 2:38 PM

Dec 12, 2018, 3:56 PM

Graduating in less than a month, only been one or two notable concerts since I’ve been here. Our production planning team sucks. They hyped up a stadium concert in Death Valley for a few weeks and finally announced some washed up hip hop artist and nobody bought tickets so they had to cancel. Strange they can’t get an Eric Church or Luke Bryan or someone along those lines. A country artist would sell 100x the tickets then some of the stuff they have tried. Must be trying to not offend people in some way...

There was at least one concert in the baseball stadium

Dec 12, 2018, 4:05 PM

Not sure of any other concerts there, but there was a concert by the B-52s at the baseball field in 1989.

I was there. Dern cold. The cracks in Littlejohn pushed it

Dec 12, 2018, 4:20 PM

out to the baseball stadium.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's the one where the power kept shorting-out***

Dec 12, 2018, 8:45 PM [ in reply to There was at least one concert in the baseball stadium ]

Yes! Had forgotten that little tidbit.***

Dec 12, 2018, 10:06 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2018, 6:14 PM

That Eagles concert was the best ever

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Dec 12, 2018, 6:19 PM

The traffic fir Pink Floyd was backed up past Greenville it seemed. Husband went with friends in motor home, traffic was stopped so long people were wanting to pay to come in and use rr

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Dec 12, 2018, 6:24 PM

Absolutely! I saw Elton John and Billy Joel when I was in school.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 PM

Saw Pink Floyd sat in traficon 85 almost late best concert ever

I still have my "EVENT STAFF" shirt

Dec 12, 2018, 6:57 PM

from the '89 Stones "Steel Wheels" show.
I worked on the field in the center, two sections back from the stage.
Made $50 and had to check only about 5 tix.

Just bring concerts back to Clemson. There were always

Dec 12, 2018, 7:13 PM

some good shows going on when I was there in the 80’s. Even the smaller regional bands like drivin n cryin, Jupiter Coyote, the Connells, Uncle Mingo, Wild Men From Borneo, Harambe were great. Widespread Panic, REM, 10,000 Maniacs and more came before getting big. I remember Def Leppard/Tesla when DL had a top of the charts album. Fleetwood Mac, Jimmy Buffet, Hall & Oates. Anyone else see Eek A Mouse at the Upper Deck? :). Some good times for sure.

Even some of the locals were fun like the Next Move, doghouse, Highway 5, dv8, BOA, etc.

There’s no excuse for a college town to not get some “college rock”/alternative bands of today to come play, like they did in the past.

As a music fan, of all genres, it’s sad to me that our students today don’t get a similar music experience.

Re: Just bring concerts back to Clemson. There were always

Dec 12, 2018, 11:13 PM

Preach on man.

“One good thing about music...when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Dec 12, 2018, 7:13 PM

I know Garth Brooks’ tour is going only to stadiums...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2018, 7:40 PM

You guys forgot Hootie! Played '94...Cracked Rear View tour.

I did see the Stones in '89 (still have the shirt), Hootie in '94, U2/Rage in '97.

Does anyone remember that Rage originally wasn't suppose to open for U2....but the orig opener had to cancel and they got Rage. I remember driving into Clemson right in front of Tillman and hearing Bulls On Parade so clear. We were stuck in traffic...so we took a left by Tillman...down past the honors dorms and parked in front of of the President's penthouse next to the crematorium (see youtube). Lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9XEkXtQMbA

Pink Floyd and Stones were awesome. Are their any bands

Dec 12, 2018, 8:17 PM

Now even worthy of playing in Death Valley?

Re: Pink Floyd and Stones were awesome. Are their any bands

Dec 12, 2018, 9:20 PM

Pearl Jam
Bruce Springsteen
Garth Brooks

And probably some other artists that I wouldn’t care so much about, but would still be good overall for the local economy.

i will get blasted for this... im sorry but

Dec 12, 2018, 9:32 PM

U2 at Billy Brice during the Zoo TV was much better than the Pop Mart show at DV. Really wished I hadn't missed Pink Floyd I bet that was awesome.

Chicago played in ‘89 or ‘90.

Dec 12, 2018, 10:39 PM

The concert was outside but not in Death Valley. For the life of me I cannot remember where.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

I think that was at the baseball stadium .. Beach Boys play

Dec 12, 2018, 10:57 PM

with them too?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think that was at the baseball stadium .. Beach Boys play

Dec 12, 2018, 11:09 PM

The concert that came off great despite initial difficulties was the Jethro Tull concert. Their trucks arrived just before the time for the concert to begin. We got to watch the set up. Concert was great! They played extra for the crowd when they got permission to go past mandated end for most events in Clemson. The place was packed! Just do not remember the year.

Dec 12, 2018, 11:25 PM

I went to the Rolling Stones! We had an awesome keg party at our apartment pre concert.

Dec 12, 2018, 11:27 PM

REM played Little John around 86-87'. That was an awesome show!

Dec 12, 2018, 11:31 PM

I saw the Beach Boys in 1968 and the Fifth Dimension in 1969!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2018, 11:42 PM

I agree. We had a huge coupe in 89 when the dirtpeckers turned down the Stones and it was great. We flogged them in Cola and after we were way up in the 4th quarter the Tiger did the Mick fist on the hip strut to emphsize the total dominance versus the cluckers and their stupidity. We need to encourage Dabo to lighten up on restrictions on the field in the off season and let some good concerts happen. I am too much of an old fogie to appreciate most of the new acts, but the 1989 Stones concert was for the ages and I was there.

And we could really do some good for the local economy. I love Clemson athletics but we don't need to be like the ##### and try to veto everything that does not hugely benefit the athletic effort. That is frankly the corrupt political crap that has brought the poultry to their sorry state.

Replies: 69
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic