Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Where do you guys put Tech on the rivalry-meter?....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Where do you guys put Tech on the rivalry-meter?....

Jan 14, 2018, 8:58 AM

Clemson is our biggest rivalry in the conference, and #2 overall to Georgia.

But given your recent domination of us, it doesn't feel as much like a rivalry anymore. IN the 90's and 00's, it went back and forth. But since 2012, Clemson has won in every year but 2014, and it was often a blowout.

I think the distance between the two programs is huge now, and will remain so for a while. As long as CPJ is at Tech, I don't see us closing the gap with either Clemson or Georgia. And our problems go way beyond CPJ.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where do you guys put Tech on the rivalry-meter?....

Jan 14, 2018, 9:00 AM

not much of a "rivalry" to us. Obviously need to win over GT since it's an ACC game. As long as we have Venerables we should continue to dominate the option.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2018, 4:25 PM

Venerables? Are you Mack Brown?

Scar is our number 1 rivalry

Jan 14, 2018, 9:01 AM

FSU, State and GT are all kind of equal with maybe and edge to State then GT then FSU based on history

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it is

Jan 14, 2018, 9:02 AM

more of a extra scrimmage

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I say #3 ACC, #4 overall

Jan 14, 2018, 9:03 AM

But not really due to won/loss on the field. More due to relevance. With us in different divisions, it does not mean much.

I have two teams ahead of Tech that we have dominated even worth, but those games always have something at stake.

1. SCAR
2. FSU
3. NCSU
4. GT

I was a student in the late 80s, and agree that it was a much healthier rivalry then.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I say #3 ACC, #4 overall

Jan 14, 2018, 9:06 AM

Yeah, I was at Tech in the mid to late 80's, and the Clemson game was a big deal to both schools back then.

I think when they split us into separate divisions, it hurt the rivalry some. Then, when Venables came to Clemson, it really changed things as he has dominated our option.

I do hate the ACC's divisions. I wish they would go north/south, and put the geographic rivalries back into play, the way other conferences do it.

Huge baseball rivalry back then, too

Jan 14, 2018, 9:39 AM

Late 80s into early 90s

But having said that

Jan 14, 2018, 9:08 AM [ in reply to I say #3 ACC, #4 overall ]

We probably would be lower than #2 on FSU’s rivalry list, and could be #3 or lower on State’s list, so considering the view of both teams involved, you might still be second overall.

FWIW, if you asked SCAR about their rivalries, they would probably mention UGA and TENN. Where do you think they would be on those teams’ lists?

Re: But having said that

Jan 14, 2018, 9:49 AM

Georgia probably puts SC 4th or 5th. Below Tech, UF, Auburn, and then it's UT & SC. If Georgia still played Clemson, many of them might put Clemson up ahead of SC.

Jan 14, 2018, 9:05 AM

Probably 3rd currently, although for a while it was probably 2nd, when FSU would beat us routinely and our games with GT were a toss up. There are no other teams on the rivalry list except SC, FSU and GT. The others don’t really qualify, although NCSU has been close at times through the years.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#1 is SCAR, #2 is FSU ... then NC ST / Ga Tech about even***

Jan 14, 2018, 9:08 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2018, 9:09 AM

1. Sackerlina
2. FSU
3. Louisville
4. NCST
5. Cumberland College
6. GT

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

LOL ??***

Jan 14, 2018, 9:41 AM

Conference expansion devalued it a little, and

Jan 14, 2018, 9:12 AM

as you said it's been one sided lately. But, one of the first questions that Venables had to answer when he was hired was "Do you know how to stop the triple option". That is an indication of how important that game is to people.
I hate that GT football had fallen off some. It seems like you're going through what happened here in the 90s. The leadership of the university doesn't think that great academics can coexist with great athletics. I just don't think it has to be one or the other.

Agreed....

Jan 14, 2018, 9:44 AM

Tech's admin looks at football as an either/or in relation to academics. In order for any school to have a great football program, there has to be buy-in from the top all the way down. Tech doesn't have that. They are content with 7-5 type seasons and occasionally beating Georgia. I've always thought it was odd to put a football team on the field and tie one hand behind their back. We are essentially saying, "Hey guys, we're OK with being mediocre in football." Would we say that about engineering? Heck no.

But this is where we are, and probably where we will be for the foreseeable future.

Jan 14, 2018, 9:18 AM

#1 in friendliest rival

my high school was the yellow jackets so growing up I always liked GT because of that

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

History and traditions rank GT higher

Jan 14, 2018, 9:29 AM

GT took John Heisman from us, leads the series 50-30-2 after playing every game in Atlanta until the 1970s. Y'all are the reason we travel with $2 bills. I have had fun road trips, big wins and bad loses with GT, and my freshman year at Clemson in '89 when GT upset us at our homecoming, I remember someone took a big bumble bee from one of the Bowman Field displays and stuffed it in our dorm elevator.
My rank: 1) the chickens, 2) FSU/GT.

Jan 14, 2018, 9:31 AM

GT is the reason I broke my remote....early 2000s watching the game with an infant at home, up by ten at the end of the game....All we had to do was get a punt off And the ball game was over. Our Center rolled the snap back, you guys took over, and beat us in the last 2 minutes. Two other heart breaks in Death Valley on last second catches also stand out in that same time period. Still wish I had that remote..

Maybe not much of a rivalry right now, but without a doubt no other team has caused me so much pain…

Jan 14, 2018, 9:46 AM

Yep. 2004 game. I loved that one, and the 2000 game. We used to win some at Clemson. Haven't won in that stadium since 2008, the first game ever for Dabo as HC.

Jan 14, 2018, 9:58 AM

Morning Smitty - I was present for the 2000 & 2004 games. Absolutely heartbreaking losses for Clemson people.

Sat on the first or second row behind the GT bench in 2000. Will never forgot the way George Godsey was running up and down the sidelines after that last second throw to Kerry Watkins (?) It was almost like he was flying - his arms were actually mimicking a bird.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Jan 14, 2018, 10:12 AM

Yeah, i was there in 2000. Awesome game. Great environment, and two teams slugging it out.

The last time I was in Clemson to see them play Tech was 2002. That was the hurricane game, and it came down to the wire, but Clemson won sealing it with an interception. I was soaked from head to toe. We had tickets this year and were gonna go. But at the last second, we decided to stay in Georgia, due to the weather. I'm not as young and crazy as I was in 2002.

Jan 14, 2018, 10:29 AM

It was a great game and an electric environment, just wish it had turned out differently ;) That was when Clemson rarely played at night and if they did it was at usually @ FSU, so it was definitely a big deal - in fact was probably the first night game for me.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

While FB hasn't been quite as competitive in just these

Jan 14, 2018, 10:29 AM

past few years, and while vs. FSU has been the bigger game most seasons, I still rank GT 2nd behind SCar in straight rivalry terms. Just too much history between the two, plus the similarities in academics and proximity. Add in basketball and baseball and it's even moreso.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2018, 10:31 AM

I still recall the years that the score differences were like 4 points or less for many years. And I still recall times and times that GT broke our year.

But for some seasons, I don’t hate GT, not as much as SCar, UNC and NC State, even though we have dominated them.

Right now, because GT plays option, it’s like we don’t compete for the same recruits, thus giving me even less concern about GT. Right now, I have more concerns about Georgia than any other schools in the surrounding areas. North Carolina had me concerns a little bit, well, until after they went to their last ACC title game.

As of today...

Jan 14, 2018, 10:35 AM

1. USuC..obvious reasons
2. FSU...Usual contender...historic series
3. L'ville...recently moved up the pecking order because of rising tensions.
4. GT...Pure history and proximity
5. NC State
6. UGA

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Jan 14, 2018, 4:19 PM

1) Bama
2) Barners
3) Leg Humpers
4) Atlantic Division
10) coots
11) wreck

Clemson fans have never “hated” Ga Tech enough in my

Jan 14, 2018, 4:32 PM

opinion. I think that has spilled over to our teams at times. I’m not sure why that is. Probably has something to do with your fan base. Tech fans are not particularly large in number and your certainly not ugly or rude for the most part. For me, it’s 1) Scar, 2) UGA ,3) FSU , 4) UncCheat, 5 ) NC State, 6) Ga Tech or Va Tech.

When Maryland was in the conference, I would have put them at 5. Louisville has almost replaced them at 5

Message was edited by: tigertrain®

Message was edited by: tigertrain®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Somewhat comparable to Alabama-Tennesse

Jan 14, 2018, 4:49 PM

Neighboring states who share recruiting territory and historically relevant, but doesn't have the same competiveness that it used to. Probably means more to our players than fans since we have so many from Georgia. Closest ACC school and a fun little rode trip for both fan bases.

Pretty low considering

Jan 14, 2018, 4:57 PM

I have never. In my life. Ever. Not once. Had an argument with a Tech fan. And come to think of it. I have never even seen a tech fan outside of Atlanta.

It’s hard to have a mean spirited rivalry when the opposing team has a fan base I’ve never seen, an offense from 1936, a stadium that’s never full of home fans, and you can’t name a single player on their team from the past 5+ years.

Jan 15, 2018, 8:46 AM

Really just another Conference game. No real rivalry.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic