Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I remember when there were no upper decks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

I remember when there were no upper decks

Feb 7, 2015, 4:44 PM

in THE VALLEY.

Anyone else ?

Also, I allways thought "THE HILL" was the best seat in the house. The action just came right at you.

I will never forget Joe Montana ruining a perfectly beautifull day right in front of me .

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually helped with construction on the...

Feb 7, 2015, 4:47 PM

second (North) upper deck back in '82. Worked with a utility contractor installing drainage. Was neat to see the structure rise up. It did change the appearance of the stadium.

Awesome

Feb 7, 2015, 4:51 PM

Thank you for that memory .

I remember when the score board and the dressing

Feb 7, 2015, 7:26 PM

rooms were where the WEZ is now. There were no stands at all, nothing else there at all except for trees and some pre-fabs off in the distance.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I remember when there were no upper decks

Feb 7, 2015, 4:53 PM

My 1st game was 10/10/1959 vs NC State our Tigers won 23--0

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2015, 4:59 PM

Remember when the stadium only seated around 20000. Also getting into the games for .50. Yes, .50.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No upper decks 1968-71, I think the seating was 43,0000...

Feb 7, 2015, 8:35 PM

and we weren't very good. Coach Howard's last two years, then Hootie. I think we went 3-7 and 4-6 each of those years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2015, 4:57 PM
wgcl-1.jpg(118.6 K)

I'm trying to. .do remember when only one side had upper deck..them were the good Ole days...I believe them days are coming back...wish my teenage years would come back

Feb 7, 2015, 5:08 PM

before my time bro. But I remember how weird it looked when there was only juan.

I dug up this illustration from the 70s.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2015, 5:19 PM

I remember walking down the hill from the "C" boxes dressed in my coat and tie with my rat hat on and a nice "buzz". Also remember struggling to get back up that hill! Don't remember who we played but I think we won! That was my first game in 1956.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those grassy ares in the west end zone were great to play on***

Feb 7, 2015, 6:42 PM [ in reply to Re: I remember when there were no upper decks ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A long time season ticket holder can tell you what month this photo was taken from the shadows.

Feb 7, 2015, 9:31 PM [ in reply to Re: I remember when there were no upper decks ]

What month do you say it is

sorry, puter may not be working right

Feb 7, 2015, 9:39 PM

I see no photo

November would be my guess ...***

Feb 8, 2015, 8:06 PM [ in reply to A long time season ticket holder can tell you what month this photo was taken from the shadows. ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A long time season ticket holder can tell you what month this photo was taken from the shadows.

Feb 9, 2015, 12:52 AM [ in reply to A long time season ticket holder can tell you what month this photo was taken from the shadows. ]

my boss actually sent me that illustration because the company that did it in the 70s was really popular at the time. Art Associates out of Ohio.

I remember when there was no west stands***

Feb 7, 2015, 5:15 PM

Feb 7, 2015, 5:22 PM

When I was a student (early 1950s) you went down to the seats.

Feb 7, 2015, 5:27 PM

I believe I heard the lower bowl part above the portals was added in the late 50s

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep.***

Feb 7, 2015, 5:26 PM

woke me up driving pylons***

Feb 7, 2015, 5:46 PM

Feb 7, 2015, 5:48 PM

While at T.L.hanna high school in 78 & 79, was in the njrotc and we got to go to all the home games for free but had to work in the concessions stands. Still got to see half the games..back then, Maryland was tuff...believe it or not they had normal uniforms. Had a dark yellow or gold M on helmets

Feb 7, 2015, 5:50 PM

My dad's seats are on the top row of the north lower. Before the top deck there was a small area behind the seats and fence where I napped as a toddler. As a older child I would tear up styrofoam cups and watch the pieces fall on people heads below. Chicken fans would always try to come up and stand and start crap. My dad and others knew how to take the trash out.

Feb 7, 2015, 6:01 PM

I remember Frank Howard walking the side lines in 65.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2015, 6:16 PM

first game i remember in the valley was the 1960 coot game-we won 12-2. South upper deck late in 78 i believe and north upper deck in 1983. Haven't missed a home game since 1974.

I started when it was the 1/2 deck***

Feb 7, 2015, 6:18 PM

Feb 7, 2015, 6:25 PM

Oh yes! I also remember as a kid sliding down the hill on cardboard because rarely did people sit there. Have had the same seats since 1966. Have actually seen people around me bring their kids, then see the kids become adults, and now bring their kids.

Reserved parking places were unheard of. Good times! But even better times now!

I remember when there was still grassy hills in the west end zone...***

Feb 7, 2015, 6:44 PM

Feb 7, 2015, 6:58 PM

I was a student from 1964-72 - before upper decks and when Choppy Patterson and the Mahaffeys played basketball in Fike. Great times. Still have season tickets even though I live in Tennessee.

dang dude

Feb 7, 2015, 7:51 PM

you were their even longer than I.

I have a good idea as to why, for you anyway.

I have no excuse cept for my love of the life and times at CU.

Is that where Pat Conroy said we set him on fire when they

Feb 7, 2015, 8:20 PM [ in reply to Re: I remember when there were no upper decks ]

played up here? Said he dove for a ball, landed in the student seating and we burned him with cigs. Of all the point guards, we chose him. His shrimp recipe sux too.

LOL I love reading Pat Conroy

Feb 7, 2015, 8:27 PM

I don't know if you are serious or not, I love his writing . Having lived in the Charleston area for many years, I appreciate his memories.

I cannot wait for his next effort.

I've read several and had hoped to find the appreciation

Feb 7, 2015, 8:36 PM

that so many others found but I couldn't find it. I found self pity and loathing to the nth degree. One of his gripes was that his father abused him and said specifically that at dinner his father would become irate and throw the pickle jar and hit him in the head- many times. Makes me think that I may not know what is for supper but you can but your sweet #### I'd know where that danmed pickle jar is. The Water Is Wide I must say was fantastic though.

Thank you for that

Feb 7, 2015, 8:45 PM

I was not aware of that particular work .

Really? I thought that one and the Great Santini were his 2

Feb 7, 2015, 8:48 PM

most popular. It was made into a movie by another name. I can't recall it tho

In 1974 it came out as "Conrack"

Feb 7, 2015, 8:56 PM

Later, in 2006 it was redone as "The Water Is Wide"

I always thought "The Prince of Tides" was his claim to fame.

In doing this little research i discovered that in 2013 he produced "The Death of the Great Santini"

That is the one. Forgot about Prince of Tides. Water Is Wide

Feb 7, 2015, 8:59 PM

is def worth reading.

Thank you so much for the info

Feb 7, 2015, 9:01 PM

GO TIGERS

Me too *

Feb 7, 2015, 7:19 PM

Nm

Full disclosure

Feb 7, 2015, 8:00 PM

I guess the south upper deck was already in place in my time. I just never had to deal with it as a hill rat and then later as a student.

Those were the days, when students were featured in premium seats. Seniors meeting IPTAY members at the 50 yard line .

I remember when there was no upper deck. Makes me

Feb 7, 2015, 8:03 PM

think of Jim Phillips. Man I miss him. Will always be a bit missing without him.

Man you nailed that

Feb 7, 2015, 8:08 PM

Never the same without Jim Phillips and Leonards Losers , the old Tiger Tailgate show and so on.....

Jim was a special person

Feb 7, 2015, 8:22 PM

a Clemson man through and through . You could feel it when he spoke . A professional who took pride in his job/position and his love of what he did.

RIP JP

As others have posted, there were no upper decks during

Feb 7, 2015, 9:01 PM

my years from 1965-1969.

A few folks were on the hill, but mostly kids spent the game sliding on cardboard - hilarious to watch.

Kids, also, slid down the hill adjacent to the North Stands, and sometimes, you could hear them yelling across the field. A small crowd of people usually sat atop that hill.

Other points: there were a few, scraggly bushes along the wall in those days; there weren't so many people on the sidelines; Frank Howard wore a shirt, necktie and dress hat, and there was no Howard's Rock - until 1966, when it was first placed on the hill, and 1967, where the tradition of touching it began during our first home game.

A large crowd would gather at Tillman Hall and be led down by the Fort Hill mansion by the Clemson Cheerleaders prior to the game. The Cheerleaders then went to the top of the hill, awaiting the team from Fike. Most all games were in the early afternoon and were followed by CDA-sponsored dances in the cafeteria that night. Students and adults usually "dressed" for the games and dances, as they were considered to be social outings.

And few, if any of us, ever imagined upper decks, much less anything like the WEZ, especially that Oculus thingy. lol

Message was edited by: hartins®

My friend Hartins

Feb 7, 2015, 9:05 PM

so good to hear from you .

I always cheerish your thoughts and memories .

Hope you're taking care of Houston. Also, hope you have a

Feb 7, 2015, 9:13 PM

chance to see Nuk playing for the Texans.

Thank you, I hope you are well

Feb 7, 2015, 9:18 PM

Sadly (and I do not know if it is from the Texans or Nuk) no one calls him Nuk anymore . He is still awesome and I get to see him a couple of times a year . Would love to see CJ here.

Nice to hear from you

First year attending games was 1979

Feb 8, 2015, 8:11 PM

Sat in the south upper deck. The north deck had not yet been built.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I have no memory of the stadium without upper decks:)

Feb 9, 2015, 12:02 AM

I'm certain when I graduated in 1975, they were already there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that was my first game....,Montana drove them

Feb 9, 2015, 9:08 AM

into the end zone right in front of me too....we may have been near each other. I remember the handle of Jack being passed around the Hill.....lol. One upper deck back then. Met Jonathan Brooks, Montana, Randy Scott on field and got Brooks' pants belt from him. That game sealed my passion for the Tigers.

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic