Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I really hope...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

I really hope...

Jul 16, 2016, 4:06 PM

We have another top 10/top 5 defense this year. While I love deshaun and all of the explosive weapons we have. I just really love when we have a defense that strangles the life out of our opponents.

GO TIGERS LETS GET THAT SECOND NATTY!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If our defense is that good...

Jul 16, 2016, 4:12 PM

our chances at making it back to the natty are VERY strong. No doubt about it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I really hope...

Jul 16, 2016, 4:14 PM

Very well put!

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2016, 4:14 PM

I'm sure we'd all love to have a top 10 defense again and it's certainly possible with our front seven....but it won't be necessary. Teams are going to have such a difficult time stopping our offense that all our defense will have to do is just get a couple of stops.

Jul 16, 2016, 4:17 PM

Throw in at least a 50% improvement on special teams and its golden.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2016, 4:23 PM

Yea those busted special teams plays were the biggest thorns in our tigers sides all year long.

Jul 16, 2016, 4:40 PM

Those thorns as you call it, popped our chance of being the 2016 Football National Champions. No doubt in my mind that special teams are the #1 reason we were runners up after an awesome season!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2016, 4:53 PM

Absolutely true, it did cost us the national championship but to show how talented we were last season it took a team as talented as Alabama to take advantage of our one true weakness. Cause while we had busted special teams against Louisville and NC State they couldn't get the job done and beat us. So we have that same offense(but probably going to be better) and one of the most talented defense in the country. So if Dabo and company get get the special team problems worked out we will be an unstoppable force to be reckoned with.

Jul 18, 2016, 1:36 PM

Let's not forget the multiple blown coverages by the safeties allowing OJ Howard to have the game if his life

We could run the table with

Jul 16, 2016, 4:22 PM

a top-25 defense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

^^^^ This

Jul 16, 2016, 6:53 PM

sounds good! And while I think we do - and will - have a top 25 defense, it would be put to the test at Tallahassee and in the CFP.

Damb reassuring knowing that DW4 will be on the field when the 'D' isn't!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

I think the D will be better than top-25

Jul 18, 2016, 9:42 AM

But I absolutely think we can win with a 25th-ranked D.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

I agree

Jul 18, 2016, 11:03 AM

BV has proven time and again that he will prove the doubters wrong. this isn't your early 2000's Tiger teams. Our defense isn't stacked with 2-3 stars. it is stacked with 4-5 stars. they may be young but talent knows no age.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2016, 4:31 PM

I think it will be similar to last year.... We will show improvement and get better as the year goes on and be outstanding by the end. The backfield will need a few games to grow up. The talent is there, they just need reps.

Jul 16, 2016, 4:47 PM

This ^

I wouldn't be shocked if Auburn comes out looking to throw the ball more than expected, and challenge our preceived lack of experience in the secondary. Of course if their quarterback is under constant pressure, which I think he will be, they won't have much success.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

I hope Auburn does come out throwing.....

Jul 16, 2016, 4:51 PM

B/c they don't have a good QB.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We really only need a top 10 defense for a couple

Jul 16, 2016, 4:38 PM

games this coming year. For the rest a top 50 defense will be plenty.

But I have to agree - like the Miami game last year - there is such pleasure in choking another team off completely. Dominating on offense is a demonstration of power. Dominating on defense is imposing one's will on another.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Re: We really only need a top 10 defense for a couple

Jul 16, 2016, 4:44 PM

I love that terminology, imposing your will over another's!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the 2016 D will be better than the 2015 D overall

Jul 18, 2016, 10:42 AM

Case in point...

#1 while not as athletic or big at safety Jadar and Van seem to be more diciplined and will not give up nearly as many big plays being out of position

#2 O'daniel is a major upgrade at the Nickle/SAM. Looks like an all ACC player already

#3The WAR DADDIEs... enough said

#4 While not as experienced, Bryant and Farrell have all the physical tools to be great. I think we take a hit here as compared to 2015 but not a major hit

*** the only major question to me is the CB2 spot. We have talent but I haven't seen anything that would make me think we can offset the loss of Mack yet

I don't really see it. We are going to be outstanding at DT

Jul 18, 2016, 12:18 PM

and probably a bit better at LB. It's going to be realllly tough to run up the middle on us. On the other hand, pass defense is a really big question mark going into the season.

I would love to get as much production plugging in guys like Yeargin and Bryant as we did in 2015 plugging in Lawson and Dodd, but i just don't know if it's realistic to expect that. Shaq Lawson was just a star in waiting. He had the size, ability, and he had also logged a lot of snaps in '13 in '14. Everyone knew he was going to be great, it was just a question of what kind of production we could get out of the other DE spot and what kind of depth we could develop. Dodd ended up being a revelation for us, but IMO we never did develop much depth last year, really at any level of the defense. We don't have a Shaq Lawson waiting in the wings this year, we need to answer questions at both DE spots. Maybe Christian Wilkins is part of the solution, but i would like to see more of him at DE first.

And then the secondary obviously needs a near complete overhaul. I think we will be OK at safety. Definitely not great, but OK. Thankfully Tank is back, but Tank going from #2 CB to #1 CB and then bringing in ???? as the #2 CB is still almost certainly a downgrade at BOTH CB positions. Is Fields ready to step up this year? Baker is pretty good in coverage but he's a Deion Sanders level tackler. He's really a liability out there on screens.

Replacing a bunch of guys off the defense 2 years in a row isn't something that can be overlooked. It's easy to say "Well we did it last year, we will just do it again," but that's a lot of attrition. We have 41 defensive players on scholarship. Only 10 are upperclassmen and at least a couple of those aren't players that are likely to contribute much. And while recruiting rankings certainly aren't everything, we only have 3 DBs (out of 16) that were 4* players in the 247 composite, and 2 of those are true freshmen that likely won't contribute. The other is soph Mark Fields. We are going to go from a secondary that was 5*-4*-3*-3* to possibly 3* across the board. Again, i know that doesn't always mean a ton, but it does mean that we've lost quality players out of the secondary faster than we've been able to replace them. The help is on the way, but it's currently in the form of 18 and 19 year olds.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom because i think we are going to have the most talented offense in the country, and our run defense is going to be absolutely stellar provided our new DEs can set the edge fairly well. I'm just not confident enough in the pass defense at this time to make a claim like "We're going to be better defensively in 2016 than 2015."

Re: I don't really see it. We are going to be outstanding at DT

Jul 18, 2016, 1:33 PM

I disagree about BOTH CB positions. Last year they went at Tank all year and all he did was lead the team in INTs. He's as good a corner as there is in the country heading into 2016. The other side who knows? I'm with you on that.

As far as DE, Bryant showed "start in waiting" potential with all the snaps he got late last year with injuries to Shaq and Farrell is the total package. I watched him in the sping game own our all conference tackle at times. He's not poslished so as I said there may be some drop off but Wilkins will also be sliding over to DE to limit that drop.

As far as safety goes we had some of the worst safety play of any top 10 team. Our safeties blew coverages all over the place. Go watch the National championship game and you'll see what I mean. I can't see it getting any worse than the second half of last season.

Jul 18, 2016, 11:21 AM

If we have a Top 5/10 defense this will be an extremely stress free cruise into Tampa.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'M PRAYING for at least an average spcl teams - cost us the

Jul 18, 2016, 1:43 PM

NATTY

still hard to stomach .....

null

Re: I'M PRAYING for at least an average spcl teams - cost us the

Jul 18, 2016, 3:13 PM

I haven't rewatched the National Championship yet and I don't know that I ever will. It was a hard pill to swallow the first time and I don't know if I want to put myself through that same pain again.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic