Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just on CNN. RIP Stone Mountain
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Just on CNN. RIP Stone Mountain

Jun 11, 2020, 11:59 AM

I guess they are making plans to blow it apart.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just on CNN. RIP Stone Mountain

Jun 11, 2020, 12:06 PM

I think I remember seeing a commemorative coin about the size of a silver dollar an older relative had bought years ago to help finance the carving. This is when I was a real little kid and it was very old then so I suspect it would be well over 100 years old. I just remember seeing a rendering of the carving on it. I dont think I've ever seen the thing in person

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2020, 12:11 PM

It's awesome. That thing is there to stay one would hope. Its beautiful.

Jun 11, 2020, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Just on CNN. RIP Stone Mountain ]

It’s a Stone Mountain Memorial Coin, minted in 1925 to raise money for the eventual carving in GA. One was presented to my Confederate vet GGGF who was living at the time by the local daughters of the confederacy or some similar outfit. It is currently in my possession, although I don’t display it or anything given it’s ominous/evil intent and symbology.

I never really understood the rationale behind the creation

Jun 11, 2020, 12:07 PM

of the Stone Mountain sculpture, other than as a money grab tourist attraction. The timing of it was a direct response against the Civil Rights movement, circa 1964 (Begun then, completed 1972). It was sure to cause racial problems from the get go.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I never really understood the rationale behind the creation

Jun 11, 2020, 12:14 PM

Like many of the statues and what not, it was just there to thumb their noses in protest. The timing says it all. It is still great looking.

It was intended as a sharp stick in the eye of every African

Jun 11, 2020, 12:23 PM [ in reply to I never really understood the rationale behind the creation ]

American US citizen, forever etched in stone and the psyche of all Americans.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2020, 12:38 PM

yay! lets burn some books too

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2020, 4:04 PM

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book has been rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And that process is continuing day be day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except the endless present in which the party is always right." Orwell-1984

some Stone Mountain history, maybe interesting

Jun 11, 2020, 12:40 PM

The whole mountain used to be privately owned. The Venable Brothers bought it in 1887 for $48,000. Sam Venable was involved with the KKK, allowed them to hold a cross-burning rally there in 1915, and granted them an easement to the mountain in 1923.

Gutzon Borglum, KKK member and sculptor of the Mount Rushmore monument, was originally chosen to carve the Confederate Memorial but he was fired in 1925 without making much progress.

In response to Brown v. Board of Education in 1954 and the birth of the Civil Rights Movement, in 1958 at the urging of segregationist Governor Marvin Griffin the State of GA purchased the mountain as a memorial to the Confederacy, and opened Stone Mountain Park on April 14, 1965 – the 100th anniversary of Abe Lincoln's assassination to the day. The carving was finally completed in 1972 after decades of fundraising and delays.

Four flags of the Confederacy are flown in the park. The Stone Mountain Memorial Lawn contains 13 terraces, one for each Confederate state. Each terrace flies the flag that the state flew as member of the Confederacy.

Stone Mountain was "the sacred site to members of the second and third national klans."

Granite from Stone Mountain has been used to build steps to the U.S. Capitol Building, U.S. Treasury vaults, and locks of the Panama Canal.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: some Stone Mountain history, maybe interesting

Jun 11, 2020, 12:45 PM

All awful, but it has to stay. Right? It looks so cool.

"The World's largest shrine to white supremacy."***

Jun 11, 2020, 12:48 PM [ in reply to some Stone Mountain history, maybe interesting ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2020, 12:45 PM

Maybe they could just replace the faces with Disney characters and leave the mountain in tact.

But in seriousness, stone mountain should not be celebrated, but instead a reminder of our past and left as is..

Also, State law prevents this monument from being altered.

Message was edited by: Tigerbalm1®

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2020, 1:00 PM

Yup, gonna have to be voted on by Stae legislature 1st, then appropriate millions upon millions as per article I read to remove it and it would take several years to boot.

Not as simple as going all Willey Coyote on it, then what to do with the giant scar left is in question also.

It's a theme park. Time for a new theme

Jun 11, 2020, 12:58 PM

https://sign.moveon.org/petitions/georgia-add-outkast-to

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we tear down all this stuff and rename everything

Jun 11, 2020, 1:07 PM

Re: If we tear down all this stuff and rename everything

Jun 11, 2020, 1:17 PM

Now hold on brother, that is gonna take $14.7 Trillion ! At least according to some.

Hmmm, nothing in the local news about it...

Jun 11, 2020, 1:14 PM

other than a petition to put Outkast on it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2020, 1:22 PM

I never understood any of these statues. I guess to appease the South. The Confederacy were traitors, they lost, and don’t deserve and monuments

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Abolish Qualified Immunity

#dong***

Jun 11, 2020, 1:29 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

sup***

Jun 11, 2020, 1:33 PM

Re: #dong***

Jun 11, 2020, 1:43 PM [ in reply to #dong*** ]

Oops

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Abolish Qualified Immunity

Jun 11, 2020, 4:03 PM

The Taliban also loves dynamiting monuments to destroy any remnant of the past with which they disagree. No wonder the left loves terrorists so.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic