Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I must have watched a fifferent Bama game....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

I must have watched a fifferent Bama game....

Nov 5, 2018, 3:49 PM

To hear the people on the interweb talk only folks playing on Sunday can beat Bama. The game I watched versus LSU showed me a team that can be beaten, will not be easy but they are not invincible at all.

Our defense is better in some areas, like a pass rush. LB's are even but LSU may have a better secondary. I saw a team that can be forced in to some errors if Tua is pressured throwing, we excell at stopping the run too.

Our offense is not LSU , we will score on Bama . We gotta be able to run a bit but it comes down to TL and the offense to move it vertically. Sure hope we get the TE's more invoved by tears end. Got to get the edge game working , slants and seam routes. I see a Tiger offense that is more than capable of putting points on the board.

Our punting is not good but Bama lacks a real kicking game so that is a wash as far as FG's.

Folks have lost their minds over Bama and Clemson is gonna shock the fools ciome playoff time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bama straight up ... Clemson does have a shot

Nov 5, 2018, 3:53 PM

Bama + Refs ... Clemson won't get it done.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bama straight up ... Clemson does have a shot

Nov 5, 2018, 6:06 PM

I think we will win , but refs will have to make targeting calls and thugging calls for us to have a chance . And NCAA testing for steroids would be nice gesture , too .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I must have watched a fifferent Bama game....

Nov 5, 2018, 5:50 PM

I know there is still a long way to go, but I was thinking earlier that Clemson's overall strategy for beating Bama is going to be the same as our NC season; That is to wear them down. Assuming that the moment isn't too big for TL, and that we don't make big, untimely mistakes, I think it's doable. In our two losses to Bama, avoidable mistakes cost us big. We need to cut those out. I also feel we have pieces in place to make more plays in all three phases that we couldn't make in the games we lost.

To be clear, my comment about TL isn't a knock on him; It's just that I don't think it is fair of us to EXPECT a true freshman to play with the poise of a DW4 in a playoff or NC game. Unless our offensive coordinators are super-creative, I don't expect us to run on Bama early, so we're going to need our QB and receivers to come through for us to help open up the run game.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Nov 5, 2018, 5:52 PM

The key to beating bama will be slow drives, keeping their offense off the field making them go cold essentially.

Nov 5, 2018, 6:36 PM

That would be ideal, but is difficult to do against a team that typically does a good job stopping the run. Further, our offensive identity is to look for the big, explosive pass plays, which often amounts to quicker scores and not taking as much time off the clock.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Nov 5, 2018, 5:59 PM [ in reply to Re: I must have watched a fifferent Bama game.... ]

To me, it appeared that the Bama defensive line was winded at the end of Q3. Wearing them down may be the key.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The "Saban-ites" only see it "Juan-way"

Nov 5, 2018, 6:04 PM [ in reply to Re: I must have watched a fifferent Bama game.... ]

I saw the same game and you are correct! They are not invincible; if you knew what you were seeing! The one team with a decent defense Bamer has played and that team has no offense! Some of LSU scores are deceiving in prior games b/c the defense scored or put them in very short fields. LSU has no offense on a bad team let alone Bamer!
Elite DE is what you must have. Elite DT is what you must also have. Finally, you have to have a QB that can attack the seams! Bamer has some good not great edge rushers and a good DL. But, our OL will have had all training camp to play against guys who will get drafted than all the DL members Bamer has currently! In other words, they play against talented DL everyday and should be able to do no less than hold their own! If so, they can forget about our gameplan last year; bubble screens and WR screens won't be coming unless it's to change up a bit. We can hit them vertically and get the safeties out the box. We are deeper than LSU and play far more "complimentary football" than LSU. Assuming we played them in the championship game; they wouldn't get two weeks to prepare for us either! They would get 1 week and a day if I am not mistaken?
Plus, no doubt the fact they beat us last year, means they are susceptible to having it in their heads "they got this"!

Why isn't the headline: Bamer runs into a defense who's offense could not threaten them and still only posted 29 points? To me: that says a whole lot especially considering an offense that got stopped(not completely of course) by other less talented defenses!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The "Saban-ites" only see it "Juan-way"

Nov 5, 2018, 6:53 PM

Our depth will be strength. The earlier we establish the vertical passing game, the better. I hope TL can get more settled over the next several weeks and start hitting on some of the deeper routes. Also, our younger WRs need to be ready for the physical play of the Bama secondary, and not count on the zebras to make the PI calls. We an opportunity arises, we have to capitalize. No dropping passes like #8 last year.

Not hard to figure out what bama will do defensively

Nov 5, 2018, 6:06 PM [ in reply to Re: I must have watched a fifferent Bama game.... ]

Their strategy will be the same as everyone else - load the box, shut down the run and try to make the freshman QB beat us with his arm. The ONLY way we’ll be able to run the ball on them is if TL can victimize their secondary early and often. They’ll want to use man coverage and bring blitzes. If we can’t make them pay for that with big pass plays early it could be a long day. We have a great defense, but we had a great defense last year... and we all saw what happened when against bama with a QB who sucks at passing downfield.

Speaking of that, maybe Kelly B could try out for LSU. Their QB sucked against bama too.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not hard to figure out what bama will do defensively

Nov 5, 2018, 6:17 PM

Flying Tiger®

Exactly! You have to be able to threaten them downfield. The OL will have to be especially on their game early. I think the Art Briles offensive philosophy would do wonders early in a game vs. Bamer if you have time. Throw it deep and hit a couple; straight fly patterns! They are hard to cover honestly b/c the WR knows where he's going and the DB has to react; which makes them a step slower! Our WR's just like the 1st two games we played them(not last year) are better than their DB's! Their DB's don't get tested much. Our OL should be able to withstand whatever pressure they bring especially early; b/c they play elite defensive linemen everyday in practice! TL will have to get better at hitting the deep ball!
We hit a few of those early and get the safety out the box or get them in zone and bada-bing = we introduce them to Travis Etienne!

Defensively, I have to think Venables has already thought about how to stop them "in the back... way back. . . . of his mind"! Kind of how they have a Georgia Tech period. . . . because of how unique their offense is. You would have to have something like that for Bamer! Not a long session; just enough to know basic rules you don't break when playing their offense and to get it instilled/burned into our defensive players!
Personnel for personnel they either have no advantage or have a "razor thin" advantage! We have more experience!
Go Tigers!

Nov 5, 2018, 6:00 PM

Great analysis and I agree except we don’t play Bama if we don’t beat BC, Duke, and S.C. In fact, Bama could lose and we may never meet. However, should it happen, please repost as a reminder that it’s very possible to beat Bama.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2018, 6:08 PM

TigerSurvivor® It's kind of like debating teams from different eras and discussing, "who would win"! Nobody suggest the road isn't earned 1 game at a time; just keep it in the right framework! Which is: "fun speculation" at this point!

I agree with you; got to beat BC, Duke and S.C. 1st. Then an ACC CG opponent. Then a semi-final most likely unless something strange happened to have us play sooner! I get it; you are right. . . if you take it the wrong way!

Nov 5, 2018, 7:13 PM

Agree nothing wrong with conjecture. I watched the game too and appreciate what he had to say. They seemed elite but not invincible to me as well. Still, So much is being posted now about Bama as opposed to BC it feels like we are putting the cart before the horse. I’ll be jumping back on this bandwatas soon as we get there. And you are correct, I failed to add the ACCCG and semi. But I’m not prepared to give Bama a pass and assume they win out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2018, 7:15 PM [ in reply to Re: I must have watched a fifferent Bama game.... ]

I promise to use the preview and spell check tabs too! Good grief was that bad, even by my lax standards.

8 1/2 point underdog***

Nov 5, 2018, 6:36 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2018, 7:22 PM

One key we will need for success is for the refs to actually call Holding in Alabama’s OL. If not we won’t get pressure on QB.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 6, 2018, 6:49 PM

I watched the Syracuse game. Clemson's toughest competition (lol). LSU would destroy Syracuse. Bama would skull drag Syracuse. Remind me again what the score was when you played them?

Remind me who Clemson will play in the ACC championship game? Remind me what happened last year with a option QB against that Dline that was supposed to be the best ever?

I watched the LSU game too. I've watched Clemson play three times this year. You march into LSU at night and play the way you guys have played this year and you lose!

Buckle up Tigers. You will have to play against real teams in the playoffs.

Nov 6, 2018, 6:55 PM

We are getting better and better. We will beat Bama.

Nov 6, 2018, 6:57 PM

The way to beat Bama is in the middle of the field with deep slants and running between the tackles .....why people chase fools gold trying to go side to side on that team is beyond me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 6, 2018, 7:40 PM

Our secondary worries me. LSU has the best secondary in cfb and Tua absolutely lit them up for almost 300 yards on what was considered an off night for him. Those WRs are beasts...Jerry Jeudy, Ruggs and that freshman Waddle is electric. It's going to take a near perfect game to beat those guys. But we need to focus on Boston College right now. Bama is a long ways away.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic