Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The CFB Playoff Only Needs One Small Change
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

The CFB Playoff Only Needs One Small Change

Nov 2, 2018, 10:00 AM

I got tired of typing this out over and over, every time the first rankings come out and people start to lose their minds about playoff changes.

https://www.brightball.com/articles/the-college-football-playoff-only-needs-one-small-change

Feel free to share with your friends.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Attended the 100th Clemson vs. USC game on a broken ankle from 8 hours earlier. Got a recliner in the endzone for the 100th game...it was worth it. Story in Profile.

Re: The CFB Playoff Only Needs One Small Change

Nov 2, 2018, 11:03 AM

Solid article. I love the current setup, and how every game matters during the regular season. If you lose a game, you may still get in, but there's no guarantee. Win every game (P5 teams), and you're 99% in, as it's very unlikely there will be more than 4 undefeated teams.

The way it is now, it makes those out of conference matchups valuable to boost your schedule in case of a loss.

Every game matters, and I'd like to keep it that way. That's what makes college football special!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nicely done

Nov 2, 2018, 11:06 AM

I agree with you, the current system of 4 is perfect for the reasons you stated.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I might be in favor of an 8-team playoff, but only if

Nov 2, 2018, 11:28 AM

they shorten the season by one game-- i.e., eliminate Conference Championship games. Those are nothing more but one more stream of advertising revenue for the networks. If they did this and went to 8 teams, the season would consist of the same number of games as it has now.

So, all 5 of the P5 conferences have their "champion" in, and assign the other spots by formula.

That said, I'm perfectly content with a 4-team playoff as it is now. However, I would like to see a little honesty from the Committee... if Conference Champions don't matter, just say so!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I might be in favor of an 8-team playoff, but only if

Nov 2, 2018, 12:06 PM

But how do you determine conf champions if division winner didn't play? Cut one game FCS or non P5. 16 team playoff, 10 division winners plus 6 at large (ND, non P5, Alabama). Play 1st round at seeds1-8 home field. Week off for exams. 2nd round at highest seeds home or current Conf Champ sites. Semis and final as now in place. I would think 2 playoff rounds could generate as much revenue as 1 less game and conf championships .

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2018, 12:12 PM

Or...we make a small rules change and get basically the same thing with no adjustment in the number of games needed...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Attended the 100th Clemson vs. USC game on a broken ankle from 8 hours earlier. Got a recliner in the endzone for the 100th game...it was worth it. Story in Profile.

Get rid of divisions altogether and go with regular season

Nov 2, 2018, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Re: I might be in favor of an 8-team playoff, but only if ]

champs instead. Would make for better regular season schedules big time with greater conference crossover. Sucks that we visit the state of Virginia only once every six years - could use the extra recruiting presence for the area. B1G and SEC both would also benefit from mixing up their conference schedules more. Would only need 3 permanent rival-style games per season for any one team and then mix up the rest over four years. With 14-team conferences, every team could play each other at least 2x every four years, unlike the once every six that we have now with divisions.

OOC games would absolutely continue to matter for the 3 at-large spots, so no team can really afford to opt out of those, except Bama of course.

This format doesn't add any extra games to the season and would convert the pseudo-almost play-in, play-out nature of CCG's with something more concrete.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure you need a "conference champion"...

Nov 2, 2018, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Re: I might be in favor of an 8-team playoff, but only if ]

Look at last year. Bama was not Conference Champion. They were selected because the CFP decided that based on performance, they should be in the playoffs. I'm saying that the Committee could just as well select the best team (in its opinion) from each of the P5 conferences, and that those teams would make up 5 of the 8 spots. The remaining 3 spots could have a number of different selection criteria, for example, like last year with Georgia and Alabama... Georgia would have gotten one of the "reserved" P5 slots, and Bama would have been an at-large selection for the reasons mentioned. The same could apply this year with Bama and LSU.

My problem is not with two teams from the same conference. My problem is with a deserving team NOT getting into the playoffs due to the small number of slots. Again, like Alabama last year. Bama was clearly the best team in the country, but they came pretty close to not making it into the playoffs. An 8-team system would reduce the possibility of that happening.

I know there's no good answer that would cover all situations... which is why the subject of my first post in this thread was "I might be in favor of an 8-team playoff..."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With 4 team playoff, you don't win your conference...

Nov 3, 2018, 6:13 AM

you should be out! The committee would only have two jobs...decide which conference champ in left out, and seed the four that are in. That way, 90% of the current subjectivity is eliminated! In a case like Bama last year, they would have been left out, I say...TOO BAD, win your conference.

If this is adhered too, me basically already have a 10 team playoff!

Nov 2, 2018, 12:47 PM [ in reply to I might be in favor of an 8-team playoff, but only if ]

I kinda like the conference championship games as a playoff qualifier. I'm not sure it would be good to eliminate them.

Don't forget that eliminating one game for everybody would create a loss of revenue for most teams. Ot would especially hurt smaller schools that don't have a chance to make the playoffs. I'm not sure if that is a practical route either.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Better chance for a G5 school to make it into a top 8 than

Nov 2, 2018, 12:51 PM

a top 4, were you to award each P5 regular season champ a spot plus 3 at-larges.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2018, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Re: I might be in favor of an 8-team playoff, but only if ]

I agree with you that Conference Championships should be used as a "playoff qualifier", but are they. I would say they're more of a "convenience" for the Committee in "certain situations". As to hurting smaller schools that don't have a chance to make the playoffs (FCS schools), aren't they already subdivided (FBS and FCS)? The "playoff" structure would not need to apply to these schools.

Nov 2, 2018, 12:27 PM

Good article, but still not the final change;
Five power conferences playing for 4 spots.
Top 4 conference championship game "winners" get in, automatically.
Any "one" loss Conference Championship game winners gets in over a "two" loss conference championship winner
If more than one championship team has 2 losses, SOS or higher season ranking could apply.
No"one" loss team that didn't make a championship game gets in.
No "Independent" team, even an undefeated Notre Dame gets in.
Notre Dame is forced to join a conference as a "football winner" or else.
The Committee needs to establish set rules as to who gets in (See above).
The committee has to be consistent(see above)!
The Committee can't be biased toward "any" team(see above)!

If I missed anything feel free to let me know.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2018, 12:47 PM

Go to 12 teams. Take the 5 conference champs and seed them 1 thru 5. Let the top 4 get a first round bye. 5 thru 12 play in the first round at the home of the higher seed winners advance by seed to play at the other 4. We then could do the semi and finals just like we do now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2018, 12:52 PM

Or go with 8 teams with P5 champs and three at large? Then the crying just comes over at large selections. Seeding then becomes the issue. Higher seed hosts quarters or align with specific bowls for quarters. But could live with 12. More the merrier.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2018, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Re: The CFB Playoff Only Needs One Small Change ]

Automatic qualifiers really hurt college football, because every game after you've locked up the division no longer matters until the title game. Out of conference games no longer matter.

Nov 2, 2018, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Re: The CFB Playoff Only Needs One Small Change ]

I agree with your approach (similar to mine, but yours is more specific). I especially agree with this statement:

The Committee needs to establish set rules as to who gets in.

That's the main problem with the seeding now... everything is too subjective, which makes it appear as if it's at the whim of the committee (too political!).

Nice write up

Nov 2, 2018, 2:03 PM

I think this one quote sums it up:

"It's not about "best", it's about "earned." Earned is settled on the field. Best is settled in the marketing department until the games are played."

Re: Nice write up

Nov 2, 2018, 3:41 PM

THIS ***

You can not reduce the regular season by one game. Clemson, like every other program depends on the revenue, tickets, parking, concessions, programs, advertising, tv revenue... Don't forget Clemson businesses depend on their increased revenue.

A 4 team playoff is still the best. Any byes would hurt the other teams, like 'bamer did against us last year. Conference championships should matter. Five teams eligible but only 4 spots keeps the importance of out of conference games important.

You could add a championship game of top independent vs top non-P5 team. Then have the comittee select the top 4 out of 6.

Nov 2, 2018, 2:35 PM

Good. Well done and I agree.

Nov 2, 2018, 2:49 PM

Needs to stay at 4, could make it 5(Spot would be reserved for UCF, regardless of record, this might quiet the masses of bleeding heart casuals that fall for Propaganda Master?ESPN'S embellished narratives: UCF.

It was proven last year that

Nov 2, 2018, 4:09 PM

A conference championship isn't necessary for selection. So...why have them, when more harm than good comes from it? Why?

There is zilch wrong with going to 8 teams...it doesn't lengthen the season with conference championship games eliminated. The first round losers can still go to a bowl game. All in all, bowl games improve, more eyes are on the play-offs and more teams qualify. Nothing's expanded, but the product is improved.

Under the current format, the first time a team goes 11-1 and gets into the CFP over a 12-1 team that lost it's CCG, there will be a well-deserved, massive lawsuit. Double jeopardy at it's best.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2018, 11:11 PM

Best argument I have seen. I am all for it. Does this force ND to join a conference?

It doesn't FORCE ND to do anything. But they will have to

Nov 3, 2018, 6:23 AM

make a choice...join a conference or be left out. Fine with me!

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic