Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson ring ceremony
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 3,387

Clemson ring ceremony

Nov 16, 2018, 8:18 AM

Had another opportunity to see the Clemson ring ceremony last night; something that did not exist when I was a student. I simply picked-up my ring in the old bookstore located below Harcombe.

The decorative elements (the eagles, the US crest, the State seal, the rifles, the star, the "C" and the palmetto tree) didn't just happen by accident. Dr. Jerry Reel, Clemson Historian, gives a detailed history of the ring and how it transformed over the years into what he have today.

Then, Colonel Ben Skardon recounts the very moving story of how his Clemson ring literally saved his life during the Bataan Death March following the surrender of Bataan in April of 1942. Interestingly, there are fewer than 1,000 survivors of the March still living and Dr. Skardon is the only surviving member who is still physically able to walk the March route at the memorial ceremonies that are held.

It's a moving tribute and one that just further enhances the pride in wearing the ring. If you ever have the opportunity to attend, I strongly encourage you to do so.

One other interesting factoid, the small wooden boxes in which the rings come are made from trees that once stood on Clemson's campus.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Thanks for posting - especially Military Appreciation Week

Nov 16, 2018, 8:33 AM

I had the privilege of attending 2 ceremonies when our daughters received theirs. Clemson has really stepped up in a lot of areas - including this one. I too just picked up my ring at the bookstore.

I encourage every Tnet member still in school or with kids in Clemson to attend. Colonel Skardon is 100 years old. He won’t be with us forever. His story is very moving and gives you insight into the true love that existed between Clemson servicemen and truly saved his life.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson ring ceremony

Nov 16, 2018, 8:41 AM

Also, a quick google search and you can find the youtube video of previous ring ceremonies. They are a little over 2 hours in length so it is not a quick video but for anyone like myself who did not have the ability to attend one may find it interesting.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They said last nights was the largest in school history***

Nov 16, 2018, 8:45 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I love my Clemson ring more than my diploma

Nov 16, 2018, 8:55 AM

My diploma is in a drawer somewhere in my house. My ring, I have worn it almost every day of my life since I got it. If I ever lost it I would FREAK out. And I don't freak out very easily.

Having said that.....I didn't attend my own graduation ceremony. So I doubt, if it were even an option then, that I* would have attended my own ring ceremony, much less someone else's.

*not much on ceremonial BS.

Re: I love my Clemson ring more than my diploma

Nov 16, 2018, 9:21 AM

Understand not being much on ceremony, but this one is worth it. They didn't have this when I picked mine up downtown at whichever business was handling this. I did have the opportunity to attend when my granddaughter picked hers up. Very worthwhile and Clemson has done a great job with this.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2018, 11:11 AM

got mine at the rexall? drugstore downtown in'68.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Nov 16, 2018, 3:10 PM

lynch's wahlgreens.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Mine was delivered to my door by the UPS guy.

Nov 16, 2018, 11:16 AM

He had no idea what a special moment that was ??

I attended my son's last year, it was awesome

Nov 16, 2018, 3:39 PM

much better than mine...I also picked mine up at the bookstore down below Harcombe.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 3,387
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic