Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: NCAA announces transfer, redshirt rule changes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

TNET: NCAA announces transfer, redshirt rule changes

Jun 13, 2018, 1:10 PM

NCAA announces transfer, redshirt rule changes

The NCAA announced on Wednesday two major rules changes to the college athletics landscape. The first, beginning Oct. 15 student-athletes will be able to transf Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like the beginning of free agency in college football

Jun 13, 2018, 1:17 PM

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Re: Sounds like the beginning of free agency in college football

Jun 13, 2018, 1:19 PM

Upgrading the infraction level of tampering seems like an attempt to slow that down, but realistically it won't do much.

I think it will be similar to the Impact it had on the NFL

Jun 13, 2018, 1:27 PM

No more true dynasties. This hurts the current dynasty programs the most as guys who are good aren't going to sit behind more talented players for 2 years before they get their shot. The thing now that separates the elite programs from the next tier or two is the depth of the roster. We've struggled for 3 quarters with the likes of Troy, BC, Wake etc. Other schools have the same issues Ultimately it's the depth that pushes the elite schools over the top in close games against these types of opponents.

That's not going the be a luxury that programs have going forward as talent is going to seek a place to play.

All in all I think it makes college football more interesting in the long run. I do think we are one of the programs that may be hurt more than we benefit.

Re: I think it will be similar to the Impact it had on the NFL

Jun 13, 2018, 1:30 PM

They haven't given them the ability to play immediately yet, that would be the real killer.

Re: I think it will be similar to the Impact it had on the NFL

Jun 14, 2018, 2:46 AM

Exactly...and I hope that never changes...

Believe it or not, this happens a lot at the high school level...Schools bending and stretching the rules to import players from different counties and districts...Its disgusting...

If you give the kid an opportunity to play immediately it jeopardizes the integrity of hard work.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

I don't think this is that big of a deal really. Removing

Jun 13, 2018, 1:19 PM [ in reply to Sounds like the beginning of free agency in college football ]

the requirement to sit out a year would open up "free agency."

Agreed 100%. Maintain sit out a year penalty, but this is the right rule change.***

Jun 13, 2018, 3:27 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Sounds like the beginning of free agency in college football

Jun 13, 2018, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Sounds like the beginning of free agency in college football ]

IMO, I think that this is the way it should have been from day one, but I also think that a coach shouldn't ever be allowed to pull a kids scholarship as long as he is doing everything possible to become a better player. Coaches that take scholarships just bc he has a better player wanting to commit later in the recruiting cycle or the next recruiting cycle has always sucked IMO. Dabo makes it clear that once he or his coaches has made an offer, don't commit if they aren't all in and are ready to stop taking visits, and if they continue to take visits, IMO it's fair to pull that offer and offer that scholy to another recruit that knows what it means to be committed, all in. But once they have signed, I've never heard of Dabo pulling that kids scholarship, not even the ones that couldn't play again bc of season ending injuries or FB ending sickness. If Dabo can win at the highest level with the way he does things, all others should be able to do the same, and forced to do so if they attempt to pull a kids scholy bc they didn't pan out skill wise. I think that a lot of coaches recruit the stars, and if they don't pan out, that kid gets thrown out. Now that is what the NCAA should put a stop to bc if coaches do their scouting home work, there should be a need to ruin a kids college career just bc they never became a starter or 2nd team player....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is the beginning of the end of college football

Jun 13, 2018, 10:14 PM [ in reply to Sounds like the beginning of free agency in college football ]

It will indeed be impossible to supervise kids as recruiting will never end. This is a sad day for the NCAA and college football.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, assuming that transfers still have to sit out a year.***

Jun 13, 2018, 1:30 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, which is why this doesn't really change much IMO

Jun 13, 2018, 1:37 PM

I'm not even sure it prevents the blocking of other schools within the conference as it states this in the article:

"The NCAA notes, however, that conferences can enact rules that are more restrictive than the national rule."

I believe SEC players not being allowed to transfer to other schools within the SEC is an SEC rule. I'm pretty sure that's the line Saban always trots out when his players are blocked from transferring to other SEC schools.

So what does this really change? I guess a coach can't flat out refuse to grant a transfer, but those stories are really, really rare. I remember some coach refusing one 2-3 years ago, but i don't even remember the details any longer and he took a ton of media criticism for it.

Re: Yes, which is why this doesn't really change much IMO

Jun 13, 2018, 1:54 PM

It was Bill Snyder. I can't remember the player or where he wanted to go but it originated at K-State.

Yep, that was it. +1***

Jun 13, 2018, 5:46 PM

Re: So, assuming that transfers still have to sit out a year.***

Jun 13, 2018, 2:36 PM [ in reply to So, assuming that transfers still have to sit out a year.*** ]

I think that the one year sit out rule is a good rule bc it helps to slow the thoughts of players from leaving a team bc a coach made him run an extra lap....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How about their recent change in academic requirements

Jun 13, 2018, 1:33 PM

you know where UNC has none but the rest of you saps still do

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The redshirt change is interesting

Jun 13, 2018, 1:34 PM

I guess we'll see a bunch of true freshmen getting PT throughout the year. As long as they remain under the 4-game limit, they preserve their redshirt.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The redshirt change is interesting

Jun 13, 2018, 1:46 PM

This could be great news for Clemson regarding Trevor Lawrence. If we continue to win games with Kelly Bryant, we could bring in TLaw only when we really need him (Natty), have a much higher chance of keeping him healthy, AND count this year as a redshirt year (thus keeping him around a bit longer).

Lol

Jun 13, 2018, 2:01 PM

1. No way Trevor plays less than 4 games this year

2. No way Trevor sticks around longer than 3 years

Re: Lol

Jun 13, 2018, 2:26 PM

3.And no way do we win the national title without playing Trevor Lawrence

Jun 13, 2018, 2:29 PM

I also think it helps recruiting some when our team is more explosive. It brings more excitement I think. I am really hoping TL is out there airing it out this season.

Jun 13, 2018, 2:37 PM [ in reply to Lol ]

My thoughts exactly!!!

I thought the funnier part was some1 actually

Jun 13, 2018, 2:54 PM [ in reply to Lol ]

Believing Bryant would play 11-14 games and Dabo would bring in Lawrence for the last one.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: The redshirt change is interesting

Jun 13, 2018, 2:11 PM [ in reply to The redshirt change is interesting ]

Also, does a bowl game count as one of the four?

Seems it will help with depth as well.***

Jun 13, 2018, 5:39 PM [ in reply to The redshirt change is interesting ]

GO TIGERS!!

Game 1 For A Lot Of These Unproven Freshmen....---

Jun 13, 2018, 1:56 PM

.....Are going to be games against Wofford....Presbyterian....Kent State....Ball State.....etc....

Thats their audition from here on out.

I like the change

Jun 13, 2018, 2:09 PM

The four game rule essentially brings the JV team back to programs, to an extent.

Conferences will do themselves more harm than good by enacting transfer rules intra-conference. Now, this new 'Belk' rule ( ;) ) does mean finishing second in a recruit's decision could mean you're #1 when he transfers out. So, don't burn bridges.

Continuing the one year 'sit' is still impactful...and a player needs to think long and hard about potential landing spots. Then again, I revert back to the school with 'runner-up' status on NSD as watching the 'transfer ticker tape' for free agents, and resurrecting their original correspondence. Lastly, this could backfire for players...they may prove to be 'not all that' and runner-up says...'Nah...we good'.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I like the change

Jun 13, 2018, 2:53 PM

Speaking of Belk........ How realistic is it that the Gamecocks didn't interfere and influence his decision to transfer??

Lawyer a coot?***

Feb 9, 2016, 1:08 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Game 1 For A Lot Of These Unproven Freshmen....---

Jun 13, 2018, 4:19 PM [ in reply to Game 1 For A Lot Of These Unproven Freshmen....--- ]

Exactly my thoughts as well. It can be used from a recruiting standpoint as well to the likes of, “we can get you immediate playing time if you want to be in a big time conference like the ACC or SEC.” it’s basically you have 4 games to prove you are immediate impact starter ability. If not you will get that redshirt, learn, and not lose a year of eligibility. This is great for evaluating freshman and transfer players in live game action without burning a year of their college career.

Re: Game 1 For A Lot Of These Unproven Freshmen....---

Jun 13, 2018, 4:47 PM

Yes, this. I love the RS rule. It would've been nice to have that the last several seasons. If so, Huggins probably wouldn't be a Sr this year. He would've gotten a chance to shine as a starter next year and thus improve his draft stock most likely. This new RS rule is a win-win all around.
Holy crap I just realized that I'm agreeing with cootgrad. Quick! Someone look out the window and see if pigs are in the sky.????

Message was edited by: insanetigerfan08

I really don’t think it’s a big deal. Some coaches will be on notice.

Jun 13, 2018, 2:17 PM

If anything this increases accountability of the school and coaches toward the players. Besides, does any program really want to retain malcontent athletes who will- in the long run- hurt the program by trashing the school and coaches?

BTW, for the naysayers and chicken little, put yourself in the shoes of these athletes. Nearly everyone of us can take an offer to work anywhere else including competitors. A portion of us have done that exact thing. There is no sound logic behind limiting a kid besides fear and blind loyalty to a school.

That 4 game rule for redshirts...

Jun 13, 2018, 2:21 PM

They have to mean the 1st 4 games right? Sit someone for 8 games, let them start the final 4 games and still redshirt?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That 4 game rule for redshirts...

Jun 13, 2018, 2:35 PM

They have to mean the 1st 4 games right? Sit someone for 8 games, let them start the final 4 games and still redshirt?

NCAA release didn't specify any particular sequence with the four games. Believe it's just an appearance in any four games within a season. I think the rule is basically in place so the younger players can fill in later in the season if there are a number of injuries affecting a roster.

When I heard the term "safe space" I knew this was going

Jun 13, 2018, 2:58 PM

to be a crap sandwich for the schools.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This may not be a bad thing for Clemson

Jun 13, 2018, 4:39 PM

If Coach Swinney does things right, he will continue to add talent. Think of it this way, we may get a few high caliber transfers at the right time without hassles of regulations. Sure they will have to sit out a season, but we may end up with a much more talented roster than we already have. A lot of studs decide to stay in state or closer to home, and it just doesn't work out the way they wanted it to. Then you have that guy wanting to transfer for whatever reason because he's not going to play for two or three years. Coach Swinney can view the data base and recruit guys to positions where we would be thin the following season. Many kids decide to transfer after Spring Camp, so they would enroll at Clemson and sit out one season which allows them to get installs and learn the brand of the program. Once that happens, we are square. We also don't have to worry about scholarship slots because it's essentially a trade off.

BOTTOM LINE: WE JUST NEED TO KEEP WINNING TITLES AND BUILDING THE PROGRAM. IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME! GO TIGERS!

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Re: TNET: NCAA announces transfer, redshirt rule changes

Jun 13, 2018, 4:55 PM

I'm in favor of whatever benefits the players' best interests. They are the ones in school, and the NCAA should be looking out for them.. not the fans or anybody else.

redshirt rule change

Jun 13, 2018, 5:12 PM

Should be based on number of plays, not number of games. Playing 3 plays on ST shouldn’t count the same as playing 30 plays on ST and defense.

Will be interesting to see if “boosters” are considered the same as coaches relative to contacting players.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess the question regarding the transfer rule is

Jun 13, 2018, 7:14 PM

does the ACC enact a stricter rule like the SEC?

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic