Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
BBQ the Souths most divisive food............
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 548

BBQ the Souths most divisive food............

Apr 28, 2018, 10:09 AM

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/entertainment/2018/04/26/barbecue-food-has-conquered-ruled-and-divided-south-decades/528432002/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol @ Greenville article about BBQ

Apr 28, 2018, 10:40 AM

It evokes so much passion in Greenville because upstate BBQ sucks, overall.

You have to go from Columbia east to the ocean, and south to about Beaufort, and north to about Jacksonville, NC. That is the geographic area with the best BBQ on Earth. And, basically, that's the geographic area for either MUSTARD based or VINEGAR based sauces. The TOMATO based region is dead to me (hear that upstate).

Now that the air is clear, I'll give my preferences.

Pulled pork:
Vinegar and red pepper based sauce RULES (also this is known as PeeDee area BBQ and also SE North Carolina BBQ)
Mustard based is good, but not great. Mustard rules puled pork in the midlands and into GA.
And you WILL ruin pulled pork with anything Tomato-based.

Hash:
No more than 10% liver. Period. This is best BY FAR mustard based. I'd rather eat a used car tire than a tomato-based hash.

Ribs:
Now ribs are where a Tomato-based sauce finds its home. A ketchup/tomato based sauce is best used on ribs. Mustard is a close second. Vinegar comes in third for ribs IMO.

Chicken:
Not a lot of people barbecue chicken. But done right, with skill and care in cooking, and BBQ chicken is absolutely fantastic. Mustard is the best sauce here, followed by vinegar, then ketchup/tomato based sauces. Cooked right BBQ chicken will melt in your mouth.

Now, for the coop dee etatt....

Manning, SC is IMHO the BBQ capital of the world. Period. No questions asked. End of argument. Heck, there is no argument here. Unfortunately, the best BBQ joint on Earth has closed. It was called McCabe's, and it had the best pulled pork and hash around. There's D&H, which is pertty good, but their hash has too much liver. But if you're willing, so to Sugar Hill BBQ about 5 miles out of Manning. It is just as good as McCabes, and $2/lb cheaper. There's not much of a dining room. Buy your BBQ there to go. But it's amazing.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g54333-d5032559-r247946765-Sugarhill_Bar_BQ-Manning_South_Carolina.html

https://www.facebook.com/Sugarhill-Bar-BQ-Catering-Svc-412901442127165/

####. Now I'm hungry.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They put liver in hash! I may never eat it again.*******

Apr 28, 2018, 10:58 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see it just the way you do.*****

Apr 28, 2018, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Lol @ Greenville article about BBQ ]

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Finally, your wordiness pays off. Quality post!***

Apr 28, 2018, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Lol @ Greenville article about BBQ ]

You want to taste some good bbq?

Apr 28, 2018, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Lol @ Greenville article about BBQ ]

Become a BBQ judge - some of the best I have ever had (and some duds) - as a judge you cannot eat for a meal, so a taste is all you get - but it is the best.

And only once have I had any mustard based sauce at a SC barbeque event - this includes events in the mid and lower state. The teams are scared of using it. BUT, the best mustard based I have ever had was at a BBQ event and I would pay good money to eat it again even though vinegar is my sauce of choice.

I thought McCabes was going/or has to re-opened?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best ribs on the planet, at least IMO, are in/around Memphis, TN.

Apr 28, 2018, 12:52 PM [ in reply to Lol @ Greenville article about BBQ ]

I can’t get all the beer I want, but I can get some darn good ribs. Some joints I like them dry. Some joints I like them wet. Pulled pork is okay around here, but I prefer the vinegar and red pepper base.

About the only place to get brisket is TX.

And ####... now I’m hungry, too.

Tiggity, my man!

Apr 28, 2018, 1:39 PM [ in reply to Lol @ Greenville article about BBQ ]

It evokes so much passion in Greenville because upstate BBQ sucks, overall.

***AGREED***

You have to go from Columbia east to the ocean, and south to about Beaufort, and north to about Jacksonville, NC. That is the geographic area with the best BBQ on Earth. And, basically, that's the geographic area for either MUSTARD based or VINEGAR based sauces. The TOMATO based region is dead to me (hear that upstate).

***AGREED***

Now that the air is clear, I'll give my preferences.

Pulled pork:
Vinegar and red pepper based sauce RULES (also this is known as PeeDee area BBQ and also SE North Carolina BBQ)
Mustard based is good, but not great. Mustard rules puled pork in the midlands and into GA.
And you WILL ruin pulled pork with anything Tomato-based.

***AGREED MOSTLY. I WAS 100% RAISED ON MUSTARD, AND NOW I'M 50/50 FAN OF VINEGAR AND MUSTARD.
I'LL EAT NEARLY ANYTHING, BUT TOMATO IS FAR FROM MY FIRST CHOICE.***

Hash:
No more than 10% liver. Period. This is best BY FAR mustard based. I'd rather eat a used car tire than a tomato-based hash.

***AGREED. WELL DONE. LIVER WILL RUIN IT IF USED AS MORE THAN A UNDERLYING FILLER***

Ribs:
Now ribs are where a Tomato-based sauce finds its home. A ketchup/tomato based sauce is best used on ribs. Mustard is a close second. Vinegar comes in third for ribs IMO.

***AGREED. I ALSO ENJOY A DRY RUB ON RIBS. NEVER HAD VINEGAR ON RIBS, BUT I DON'T HAVE ANY INTEREST IN TRYING IT EITHER.***

Chicken:
Not a lot of people barbecue chicken. But done right, with skill and care in cooking, and BBQ chicken is absolutely fantastic. Mustard is the best sauce here, followed by vinegar, then ketchup/tomato based sauces. Cooked right BBQ chicken will melt in your mouth.

***HARD TO DO. MOST FOLKS DRY IT OUT. NOT MY FIRST OR SECOND OR THIRD CHOICE FOR COOKING CHICKEN. MUSTARD IMHO IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO. MAYBE TOMATO, BUT VINEGAR SOUNDS WEIRD TO ME FOR CHICKEN... NEVER HAD OR HEARD OF IT.***

Now, for the coop dee etatt....

Manning, SC is IMHO the BBQ capital of the world. Period. No questions asked. End of argument. Heck, there is no argument here. Unfortunately, the best BBQ joint on Earth has closed. It was called McCabe's, and it had the best pulled pork and hash around. There's D&H, which is pertty good, but their hash has too much liver. But if you're willing, so to Sugar Hill BBQ about 5 miles out of Manning. It is just as good as McCabes, and $2/lb cheaper. There's not much of a dining room. Buy your BBQ there to go. But it's amazing.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g54333-d5032559-r247946765-Sugarhill_Bar_BQ-Manning_South_Carolina.html

Best Barbecue in Carolina! - Review of Sugarhill Bar BQ, Manning, SC - TripAdvisor
Sugarhill Bar BQ: Best Barbecue in Carolina! - See 31 traveler reviews, 22 candid photos, and great deals for Manning, SC, at TripAdvisor.

https://www.facebook.com/Sugarhill-Bar-BQ-Catering-Svc-412901442127165/

####. Now I'm hungry.

***NEVER HAD ANY FROM THOSE PLACES. HELLL, I DON'T THINK I'VE EVER BEEN THROUGH MANNING, TBH. BEST BBQ I'VE EVER HAD IS LA BBQ IN AUSTIN TEXAS. I REALIZE THAT'S A STUPID THING TO SAY SINCE IT'S HALF WAY ACROSS THE COUNTRY. I NEVER ATE BRISKET GROWING UP, BUT IT'S MY FAVORITE SINCE THEN. I HEARD THAT LEWIS BBQ IN CHARLESTON WAS STARTED BY ONE OF THE GUYS FROM LA BBQ IN AUSTIN. I HAVEN'T HAD THEM, BUT THE PICTURES ON THEIR SITE LOOK TRUE TO FORM. THEY'LL BE DOING BBQ AT THE MUSIC FESTIVAL IN NORTH CHARLESTON NEXT WEEKEND (WITH WIDESPREAD PANIC AND STURGILL SIMPSON). I'LL BE SURE TO BRING AN APPETITE. AROUND LEXINGTON, I GREW UP ON HITE'S AND MAURICES. IF WE WERE IN THE LOWER PART OF THE STATE, WE WOULD GO TO DUKE'S. HUDSON'S IS GARBAGE. MOST OTHER PLACES AROUND HERE ARE AS WELL. PRICES IN GILBERT (NEAR THE LAKE) ISN'T GREAT, BUT IT'S CLOSE TO ME AND A FAMILY TRADITION. THEIR PORK IS REAL HEAVY ON THE MUSTARD. SOUTHERN BELLY BBQ IS ACTUALLY REALLY GOOD, BUT THEY ONLY DO SANDWICHES. BIG T'S, PALMETTO PIG, AND ALL OF THE OTHER COLUMBIA JOINTS ARE ABOUT THE SAME TO ME... JUST SO SO.***

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

You speak exactly like somebody

Apr 28, 2018, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Lol @ Greenville article about BBQ ]

who has never had Rodney Scott's whole hog. Take that however you like.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You speak exactly like somebody

Apr 28, 2018, 7:58 PM

I've never even heard of it, but I just google'd it and it sounds awesome.

Thank's brah. I may check this out next time I'm down that way.

Too much press. But he cooks them right and uses the right

Apr 28, 2018, 8:59 PM [ in reply to You speak exactly like somebody ]

Sauce. So I'll try it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He did it for 20+ years in BFH

Apr 29, 2018, 4:14 PM

(Bumfuck Hemingway) with no press. BBQ and whiskey got hot at the same time, so the people who had been doing it well for decades got rocketed into the respective spotlights.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like I said. He does it right.

Apr 29, 2018, 8:20 PM

From the videos I saw at least.

I did notice he uses a metal lid on his pit. Can't use plywood like they used to. You'll get a nasty fine from DHEC for that. Oddly enough, the church BBQ fundraiser we have each year they build a pit in the parking lot and use a wooden lid. They were nonplussed when I told them that after 40 years of doing this fundraiser they would have to get a metal lid for the pit.

New Ellington (Carolina BBQ) is west of Columbia...

Apr 29, 2018, 4:19 PM [ in reply to Lol @ Greenville article about BBQ ]

HTH

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So is Shealys. There are a few places west of Columbia

Apr 29, 2018, 8:02 PM

with decent BBQ. Just not northwest. Here's the map, and it's pretty accurate. Everywhere that's not ketchup or tomato, decent to amazing BBQ can be found.

I can't think of too many bbq places in cars that are...

Apr 29, 2018, 10:05 PM

Ketchup or heavy tomato based.

Me thinks your map and opinion are wrong :)

cars = csra***

Apr 29, 2018, 10:10 PM

We can debate geography, that's flexible.

Apr 30, 2018, 9:00 AM [ in reply to I can't think of too many bbq places in cars that are... ]

Ketchup/Tomato based....that's a hard line I'm not crossing (unless you want to talk ribs).

Re: So is Shealys. There are a few places west of Columbia

Apr 30, 2018, 9:31 AM [ in reply to So is Shealys. There are a few places west of Columbia ]

Mount pleasant thinking they are all special again

Look, I'm biased towards SC in general, but even I can

Apr 30, 2018, 10:13 AM [ in reply to Lol @ Greenville article about BBQ ]

admit that vinegar based sauce is pretty much universally called "Eastern NC" style BBQ. This "Pee Dee" style crap is just revisionist history.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like all of it pretty much equally....

Apr 28, 2018, 12:50 PM

go live in another part of the country for awhile and you'll appreciate ANY SC BBQ more.
The funny thing that people argue about is that proper barbecue sauce contains ketchup, mustard, AND vinegar. The difference is which one is the dominant.

When I lived away, I'd scour grocery stores when I came home to grab bottles of Duke's, Maurices, Shealy's etc sauce to take back with me so I could make my own SC BBQ.

Even learned how to make BBQ hash (don't have to use liver). Ingredient most don't know about that goes in hash is potatoes. It's VERY simple to make.

Dukes Style BBQ Hash
Ingredients
One 5lb Boston butt smoked roasted or cooked in a crock pot until tender and falling off the bone
2 lbs chopped potatoes
2 lbs chopped onions
1 cup mustard based BBQ sauce
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons black pepper
Hot sauce Texas Pete to taste
1 stick butter

Instructions
Sauté onions with potatoes in a little oil until onions are tender. Stir in black pepper. Pull pork and add to potatoes and onions. Fill with water until covered. Cook until potatoes are done. Blend mixture slightly in blender and return to pot. Add BBQ sauce, ketchup, hot sauce to taste and vinegar. Simmer until it's the consistency of thick soup. Turn off heat and add butter. Serve over white rice.

Re: I like all of it pretty much equally....

Apr 28, 2018, 1:42 PM

I forgot to mention Shealy's. That place is so damnn overrated.

It's great if you love an upset stomach.

Their fried chicken, creamed corn, and grean beans are the best thing on the menu. THeir bbq is just shredded mush.

Helll, their entire buffet is just different colored greasy mush.

And, they threw me out for being drunk one time, so there's that.

I agree with this:

Apr 28, 2018, 1:56 PM [ in reply to I like all of it pretty much equally.... ]

"The funny thing that people argue about is that proper barbecue sauce contains ketchup, mustard, AND vinegar. The difference is which one is the dominant."

My sauce here is essentially vinegar/red pepper sauce w/ just enough catsup and yaller mustard to give it color. Not a lot of great pulled pork in Va, they generally pre-apply too much of too tomato-y, maybe even sweet, sauce. Had some yesterday from the Homeplace, Catawba, Va, which had never seen a smoker and was overwhelmed with tomato glop.

The best pulled pork is fresh off the smoker, with maybe a very light addition of vinegar based sauce, cut with or maybe repaced by, chicken broth. If it's good nearly naked, then you can add a lil table sauce to it.

And I frequently cook bbq chicken. Skinless. Low and slow. Also have a killer marinated in vinegar based sauce- grilled skinless chicken. Just have to pay attention when you're cooking it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I stopped reading when they started asking

Apr 28, 2018, 1:25 PM

Lake High's opinion.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your buddy... LOL

Apr 28, 2018, 3:17 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd9POGYv8ew

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wonder what outrageous fee he is charging

Apr 28, 2018, 3:32 PM

the competitions these days.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BBQ the Souths most divisive food............

Apr 28, 2018, 10:18 PM

But it shouldn’t be. It’s all fooking good. Just a matter of “how” good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BBQ the Souths most divisive food............

Apr 28, 2018, 10:22 PM

I have lived in:
Asheville, NC
Lexington, NC
Greenville, NC
Wilmington, NC
Raleigh, NC
Hiawassee, GA (doesn’t count)

They all basically were vinegar based, except for Asheville. The thing is, all the vinegar sauces tasted differently, but all were good. Same with ketchup based. Mustard=meh, but still eat the #### out of it.

Vinegar based for me = the more red pepper the better.

I think it’s all good. Just a matter of preference. Let’s just love to love another.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 548
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic