Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I know this isn't going to go over well
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

I know this isn't going to go over well

Nov 17, 2015, 11:14 PM

But I think the playoff committee got it right with the top 4 teams. One could argue actual rankings; however, I believe the top 4 teams are the best teams if the playoffs started tonight.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I know this isn't going to go over well

Nov 17, 2015, 11:20 PM

I disagree with them on Notre Dame. i think they should avoid regular season re-matches in the playoffs.

Nov 18, 2015, 1:12 PM

Is that you Heather?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Nov 18, 2015, 12:22 AM

I won't be an ^ss and give you a td just because I disagree but I do believe that Alabama is ranked number 2 because they are judged by a different standard from everyone else if we had their schedule and record there's no way we would be in the top 4 and would probably be lucky to be in the top 10

Nov 18, 2015, 12:57 AM

What's your top 4? Best 4 teams playing right now? Alabama should definitely be in the conversation.

Nov 18, 2015, 8:11 AM

If it were as simple as best 4 teams Alabama would be in every year regardless of the regular season. Bama lost and their resume isn't #2 right now.

null

Bama's offense is one dimensional.

Nov 18, 2015, 8:14 AM [ in reply to Re: I know this isn't going to go over well ]

That alone drops them out of the top ten, imo. OU and Bama have a common opponent, Tennessee. Review those games and get back to me on the best one loss team. Note the four FGs that UcheaT missed and the final score of the game with Bama.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bama's offense is one dimensional.

Nov 18, 2015, 10:19 AM

UT should have won both games. UT dominated Oklahoma for 3 quarters and lost in 2OT. They were up 17-3 in the 4th. BTW they missed 3 FG's not 4 against Alabama. Not following your logic? Did you actually watch the games or just look at the final scores?

1995 Nebraska was even more 1-dimensional and

Nov 18, 2015, 1:47 PM [ in reply to Bama's offense is one dimensional. ]

just happen to be the most dominant team in the history of (modern) CFB. Being 1-dimensional isn't a detriment unless the other team can stop it.

Nov 18, 2015, 8:18 AM [ in reply to Re: I know this isn't going to go over well ]

Great football teams do not lose at home. Period. If there is a hierarchy to ranking things great teams shouldn't do, losing at home would be number 1. Alabama not only lost to a not particularly good football team - they lost at home. They should be in consideration for nothing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ohio state lost at home last year to VT***

Nov 18, 2015, 10:05 AM

Re: Ohio state lost at home last year to VT***

Nov 18, 2015, 1:01 PM

There was only one undefeated team last year and they should have been the number 1 seed. That was a terrible precedent. Of the one loss teams Alabama had the best road loss. They would have deserved a two seed. TCU on paper should have been 3 but since their one loss was to a similarly ranked Baylor who had the worst road loss of the 1 loss teams the committee pretty said f-Em and threw them both out. That left Oregon (best home loss of the 1 loss teams) and Ohio State (worst home loss) of the 1 loss group. Everyone else had more than one loss. So Ohio State backdoored in and and won a championship. Doesn't mean they were a great team - Eli Manning has a couple Super Bowl rings to prove that point.

By those standards (ranking home losses worse than road losses) Alabama should be behind Ohio State, Iowa, Oklahoma State, Florida, Michigan State, TCU, Oklahoma, and North Carolina (in that order).

Nov 18, 2015, 1:07 PM

I can tell you now that if it stays the same ,.Little Nickey is posturing for the game
with Notre Dame because he thinks he could beat them and move on .,
He don't want to play tOSU again unless its the final ,., Was embarrassed by Urban last year .,

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if winning it all doesn't make a great team

Nov 18, 2015, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Ohio state lost at home last year to VT*** ]

what does? Winning at the highest level seems great to me. I understand luck has to be involved. How about we compromise...they had a GREAT season.

Yep. Maybe that Ohio St. team isn't one of the

Nov 18, 2015, 1:24 PM

all time great teams, but they are still pretty ###### good. All they've done is follow it up this year with winning a bunch more even with an unsettled QB situation.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: if winning it all doesn't make a great team

Nov 18, 2015, 1:33 PM [ in reply to if winning it all doesn't make a great team ]

Well I used the Giants as a pretty commonly understood example that the best teams often don't win playoffs. But, as I explained, Ohio State (who were the last team in) did earn their way in last year. Alabama however is grossly over ranked at this point.

By what metric though? They are neck and neck with us now

Nov 18, 2015, 2:07 PM

for #1 in S&P+, team efficiencies, F/+ combined rankings, game control, and strength of record. I know some people around here are allergic to statistics, computers, and advanced metrics, but even if you ignore all of that and just watch the teams play, how can you possibly say they are grossly overrated? Who is definitively better?

Re: By what metric though? They are neck and neck with us now

Nov 18, 2015, 3:31 PM

Every 0 loss team and every 1 loss team that lost on the road rather than at home. Metrics are fun and all but why even play the game if we're just gonna say Alabama is number 1 no matter what. There is still a lot of football left to play. If Bama wins out they'll probably have earned that slot - but they shouldn't have it gift wrapped for no reason.

Oh really? Houston is better than Bama?

Nov 18, 2015, 3:42 PM

By your logic, all of these teams are better than Bama:

ND - lost at Clemson
Oklahoma - lost on a neutral field (to 4-6 Texas)
Florida - lost at LSU
Michigan St - lost at Nebraska (5-6)
Navy - lost at ND
UNC - lost on a neutral field (to 3-7 SCAR)
TCU - lost at OK ST
Houston - undefeated

Along with the other 4 undefeated teams at the top, that puts Bama at 13th. I assume Clemson, Ohio State, OK St, Iowa, and Houston are 1-5 since they are all unbeaten. Sweet rankings bro.

Re: Oh really? Houston is better than Bama?

Nov 18, 2015, 6:21 PM

I gave you an exact list so I guess you can't handle someone having a different opinion that yours. Houston is not in a Power 5 Conference so they aren't really comparable. Same for Navy. Everything else - yes. In fact, it takes a monumental amount of cognitive dissonance to vote Clemson number 1 but vote Notre Dame behind Alabama. I like my rankings better than your Alabama/SEC stroke job - bro. Perhaps a Crimson Tide board would be more to your liking.

Bama/SEC stroke job. LOL. It's called not being retarded.

Nov 19, 2015, 10:57 AM

Bama may or may not deserve to be 2nd, but if you have them at like 11 you either don't watch football, know nothing about football, or, more likely, you are going way overboard with anti-SEC bias that's actually more extreme than any pro-SEC bias from the media.

Re: Bama/SEC stroke job. LOL. It's called not being retarded.

Nov 19, 2015, 11:28 AM

why bother to know anything about football when you can simply jump to the most populist conclusion shoved down your throat by a financially vested media entry? Oh wait, that's your position.

Terrible precident? FSU didn't even look like they belonged

Nov 18, 2015, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Ohio state lost at home last year to VT*** ]

on the same field as Oregon last year. It was obvious FSU was going to make the playoff at 13-0 ACC champs, but i didn't even have them in my top 5 at the end of the regular season last year. TCU and Baylor were both better football teams.

FSU was a few bounces and a blown call away from losing like 3 games. Clemson beats them if Davidson doesn't fumble. ND beats them if the refs don't make a judgement call that is often ignored. Louisville probably beats them if not for the miraculous fumble TD right before HT (they would've trailed 21-0). That's before we even get to the narrow 3 pt win at home to BC, the 5 pt win at home to a bad Florida team (FSU trailed 21-9), 4 pt win over Miami, 6 pt win over OKST, 2 pt win over GT, or the huge comeback needed to win at NCST.

FSU NEVER, at any point, looked like the best team in the country last year. A lot of the computer metrics had them down around 10th. The terrible precedent would've been blindly ranking them at #1 solely because they never lost.

Re: Terrible precident? FSU didn't even look like they belonged

Nov 18, 2015, 5:55 PM

That's your opinion and you're welcome to it. I don't agree. Alabama didn't exactly look like world beaters against Ohio State - especially that SEC defense that was supposed to make everyone quake. The fact that FSU lost in the playoffs doesn't validate anything. So did the anointed number one seed to the four seed. Its really dangerous for fans of anyone outside the SEC to start playing these "metric" games. Sagarin, Massey et al start with biased rankings that always favor the SEC. The SEC has become very strategic in its scheduling to maximize its presence in the polls. The Big 12 has learned to copy a lot of this. As usual our conference is very behind on this. So, yes, whoever is winning the most in the SEC will emerge at the top of your stat lists. But winning and losing should trump all, and it's insane to argue that Alabama should get a bonus for losing to Ole Miss because Ole Miss's only loss is to Alabama. It's ridiculous magical thinking and without it Ole Miss's subsequent performance would have help Alabama outside the top 4.

Message was edited by: viztiz®

Nov 18, 2015, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Ohio state lost at home last year to VT*** ]

And they also barely snuck into the playoffs the last week. Bama has been a fixture in the top 4 since the first ranking.

This thread basically boils down to fans who

Nov 18, 2015, 1:11 PM

are scared to play Alabama and thus want to keep them out and those who watch enough to see that Alabama is still really good in most facets of the game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's a lot of truth to this***

Nov 18, 2015, 1:12 PM

lotta baloney - DW4 so superior to their qb - more important

Nov 18, 2015, 1:55 PM

than a great rb. plus Tigers have beaten "great" sec teams

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is a 3rd option of not caring about them being in.

Nov 18, 2015, 2:32 PM

I think Clemson is the only team that can keep Clemson out of the playoffs. Therefore, I don't really care who else gets in and who may get screwed.

Message was edited by: aerozeptallica®

Nov 18, 2015, 1:59 PM

Oklahoma would beat OSU and Notre Dame.

If OSU = OKST we will get to find out. If OSU = Ohio St

Nov 18, 2015, 2:02 PM

then I'm not sure. OU is playing really well right now, but i still feel like Ohio State has an extra gear they are about to hit for these last 3 games. They've basically had a 10 game pre-season where they've been able to scrape by despite showing up with their C/D game on a couple of occasions. Their A game (if they can find it this year) is probably still better than anyone in the country.

Re: If OSU = OKST we will get to find out. If OSU = Ohio St

Nov 18, 2015, 2:10 PM

Haha. I promise I didn't read this before I posted, but I totally agree.

Nov 18, 2015, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Re: I know this isn't going to go over well ]

Oklahoma is playing great right now. I'm not sure they would beat both. They COULD beat both. OSU is still a bit of a mystery to me. I don't think they have played close to their potential. We'll see these next couple of weeks. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they lost to Michigan. Assuming all teams play their best game, OSU scares me the most.

Nov 18, 2015, 3:44 PM

ND does not belong in the top 4 and neither does Alabama. While I believe Bama is a top 4 team, they lost to a mediocre Ole Miss on their home field, and have not earned the right to be in the top 4. Ok State and Iowa both deserve to be there more than Bama or ND, in my opinion. Bama's "most difficult" schedule, according to ESPiN, is a myth! By the end of the regular season, they will have beaten 1 top 25 team and lost to an unranked team. The perfect scenario for everyone outside of the SEC will be for FSU to whip Florida's ####, which could very well happen, and then Florida rebounds to beat Bama. Or, Auburn replaces the horseshoe that dropped from their ### a couple of years ago in Death Valley, and they pull off another miracle win over Bama...highly unlikely though.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic