Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I keep reading that Hershel Walker almost signed with the Tigers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

I keep reading that Hershel Walker almost signed with the Tigers

Oct 25, 2018, 6:18 AM

How close were the Tigers of actually landing him?

I wasn't alive, and I had no clue that was even a possibility.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One TransAm and a low level job for momma!***

Oct 25, 2018, 6:26 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Re: One TransAm and a low level job for momma!***

Oct 29, 2018, 7:31 AM

Y'all please remember you're discussing the family of a current Tiger.

Re: I keep reading that Hershel Walker almost signed with the Tigers

Oct 25, 2018, 6:28 AM

We bid a few thousand dollars under what uga paid. It was a dirty business at that time & they out paid us. Hershel does have a fondness for Clemson to this day though.

Oct 25, 2018, 9:25 AM

That's exactly what happened. A Clemson fan in Augusta was our point man (bagman) on Hershel's recruitment. UGay simply outbid us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2018, 11:35 AM

Almost had Dan Marino also in same recruiting class. Lost him to Pitt...

We were also real close to signing Emmitt Smith, if i recall

Oct 25, 2018, 6:34 AM

I don't know details, but I've heard many times that it was between us and UF.

Re: We were also real close to signing Emmitt Smith, if i recall

Oct 25, 2018, 9:28 AM

A few years later we signed his brother as a fullback.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We were also real close to signing Emmitt Smith, if i recall

Oct 29, 2018, 6:52 AM

Yep, that was during my time as a student. Emory was one of my sentimental favorites for just that reason. I got within 50 feet of Emmitt (at the infamous 0-57 drubbing by FSU), who is one of my favorite NFL players ever, thanks to Emory being on the team. Mike Bays (who was the Tiger in the mid-90's) was on Tiger Band staff that year and got a photo on the sidelines with Emmitt, which I will always be jealous of. Sadly I was on the other sideline at the time lining up to march the halftime show.

A friend of mine knew Emory pretty well and I kept begging her to get his autograph for me, but no dice. But I always loved watching him play. There was one game vs. Georgia Tech where they fed him the ball several times in a row and I can remember him dragging defenders down the field like they were made of styrofoam.

Here's the way I heard it ...

Oct 25, 2018, 7:10 AM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Interesting-story-from-former-Clemson-coach-Chuck-Reedy-719137

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

We speculate about a lot but one thing we know for sure...

Oct 25, 2018, 7:24 AM

UGA gave HW's sister a scholarship for one of their women's sports. Track comes to mind.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is one of the MAJOR factors. Started women's track

Oct 25, 2018, 9:01 AM

and his sister was one of the first top recruits for the program. I have had the pleasure to meet Herschel on 4-5 different occasions. Real humble guy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My cuz has worked in the broadcasting industry

Oct 25, 2018, 7:56 AM

Behind the scenes on the pro and college level for over 25 years. Tiger grad....She has met and worked with MLB, ESPN, TBS, and Raycom when they are in ATL area as well as in Minneapolis, and DC area. She says the majority of the on air talent are funny, nice, and are pros. However, she says the most pompous, phony, shady, and creepy one she has ever dealt with was Vince Dooley, hands down. She goes on and on about that guy. No surprise...

Message was edited by: orngpurple®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2018, 7:56 AM

There’s a great documentary about him...can’t remember if it’s a 30 for 30. Anyway, he wanted to go military, but his mother convinced him not to. Herschel said he loved Clemson, and decided to flip a coin between us and UGA. The 1st flip landed UGA, but he still wasn’t convinced, and flipped it a 2nd time...Dawgs again. We were that close.

Oct 25, 2018, 8:12 AM

https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Article/So-Herschel-Wanted-to-be-a-Tiger-104332443/

Re: Still have a recruiting publication about his signing

Oct 25, 2018, 8:15 AM

One of the few people putting out recruiting news in those days was a guy named Joe Teranova. He did not give the details about illegal activities but I remember stories about recruiters spending the night to be instantly available and to track others recruiting him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Still have a recruiting publication about his signing

Oct 29, 2018, 8:13 AM

You have to remember recruiting was very different back then. I heard from a former Ford assistant that the price was to high and got outbid by UGaY.

Recruiting used to be crazy -

Oct 25, 2018, 8:19 AM

UGA hid him away with a coach "guarding" him so our staff couldn't find him in the days leading up to signing day. We did return the favor a few years later with John Johnson in similar fashion.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water the Point Tree

Rumor Was.....

Oct 25, 2018, 8:24 AM

Vince Dooley found a Trans-AM with T-tops before we could.

Oct 25, 2018, 8:31 AM

A real shame, if he had come to Clemson, at least he would have scored in Death Valley.

Oct 25, 2018, 9:37 AM

I believe only one of his personalities wanted to be a Tiger, and one wanted to be a dawg. The other 3 were undecided. A vote was taken.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2018, 7:22 AM

A few sidebars that i remember: Dooley was throwing Pixie Dust, saying Hershel would not play until he got used to the College Game..I THINK the first game was Tennessee and it was not going well for the Dogs and then Larry Munson got all excited about Hershel coming onto the field and he turned the game around and the rest is history... I think it was the next year and Hershel had injured his right hand and Dooley gave the impression that Hershel would be lucky if he were not dead by Saturday... Danny see him before the game and went to shake hands using his left to not squeeze the injured hand.. Hershel stuck out his right and Danny knew then that he was gonna play....
Donald Trump owned the USFL NY Generals (i think) and he lured Hershel away with the $$$$$ and newspapers were going "...HERSHEL!!!! Say it isn't so!!!" But it was...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2018, 7:38 AM

As I remember it was Kentucky, could be wrong.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic