Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I just watched the 1977 Clemson SCAR game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

I just watched the 1977 Clemson SCAR game

Aug 26, 2018, 10:41 PM

and I feel really bad for you old timers. First off the picture quality was terrible, you could barely read the numbers let alone tell who had the football. Also, the picture was square and cropped off, that was annoying. And if that was not enough, the game was really boring right until the end when they actually completed some down field passes. Otherwise, they pretty much ran on every down and that gets old.
I also did not see one player on EITHER team that would start for us now and most of the linemen weighed about 250 lbs. I mean if they played the 2018 Clemson team they would get destroyed. It would not even be close.

What passed for Division 1 football back then just does not cut mustard if you ask me.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No cigars today.***

Aug 26, 2018, 10:44 PM

Message was edited by: NorthwestPurple®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We were lucky to have 5 or 6 gameon TV each year

Aug 27, 2018, 6:31 AM

Our Rabbit ears pick up a pretty good signal... sometimes had to put one antenna down at a 45 degree angle... hold on to it and raise your other hand as high as you could.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I just watched the 1977 Clemson SCAR game

Aug 26, 2018, 10:45 PM

The game sure has changed since then but one thing remains true. The coots sucked then and they suck now.

Go Tigers!

Aug 26, 2018, 10:47 PM

don't even get me started on that kicker for Clemson

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obed!***

Aug 27, 2018, 6:36 AM

... and then Iggy!***

Aug 27, 2018, 6:46 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How did they play without the yellow first down line?***

Aug 26, 2018, 11:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That WR Quick at Lewisville woulda had...

Aug 26, 2018, 11:57 PM

A brain aneurysm trying to calculate all them big numbers needed to make first downs.

Luckily, he didn’t play in that era.

~JKB

Re: How did they play without the yellow first down line?***

Aug 27, 2018, 6:55 AM [ in reply to How did they play without the yellow first down line?*** ]

You from louyville? Must be louyville.

Aug 26, 2018, 11:52 PM

We didn't know it was so poor quality. We didn't know there was better quality. We didn't realize that we should be able to id the players. If I got to see a game there was reception snow. We didn't know about all the passing and smoking mirrors. We thought they were suppose to run the ball up the middle. We also thought them 250 lb men were big. Also the tv screen was very little. If we got to watch a game (who around us actually attended them) we would read the details in the Greenville news.

Aug 27, 2018, 12:52 AM

Excellent post.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My first live college game... Night I became a Clemson fan.***

Aug 27, 2018, 5:55 AM

Same here... 11 yrs old... just moved back from England.***

Aug 27, 2018, 6:21 AM

Aug 27, 2018, 6:16 AM

If you had been a Clemson fan in 1977, you would not have had a clue that today's game of college football could or would one day exist. And the GREAT news of that era...nobody affiliated with any other college team would have or could have either. All teams were all at the same level you describe. That 1977 Clemson team was a top 20 team, and that Steve Fuller led team came back in 1978 to finish #6 in the country. Three years later an average 250 lb. line won the national title. Would you like to rethink your position?

Aug 27, 2018, 6:24 AM

Before cable TV and the internet, they were just three channels and you very rarely got the opportunity to see the Tigers on TV. I grew up sitting around the kitchen table listening to Jim Phillips call the games.

Aug 27, 2018, 6:29 AM

I was there. I thought it was a great win.

I was a "road warrior" back then, traveling to most every game.

It was a really fun time to be following our Tigers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jerry Butler could start for us now.***

Aug 27, 2018, 6:25 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2018, 6:54 AM

Marvin Sims is better than any fullback on the current roster.

Obed would start today.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dwight Clark...?***

Aug 27, 2018, 7:05 AM

Re: Dwight Clark...?***

Aug 27, 2018, 7:40 AM

I think the Bostics (Joe & Jeff) would likely both start today as well. Both had long NFL careers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you think that was bad you should watch a UGA game

Aug 27, 2018, 6:58 AM

from 1980. Luckily, football, as the world knows it today, started in 1981.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: If you think that was bad you should watch a UGA game

Aug 27, 2018, 7:41 AM

Just off my memory, we lost a close game (like 12-7, maybe?) due to NUMEROUS fumbles.

TBalm, Based on your

Aug 27, 2018, 7:40 AM

Profile pic, you're a cheeky one calling the rest of us old-timers. I'm guessing that's not your dad that's styling that 'stache and those locks. ;)

I'm also gonna guess 'Smoke on the Water' meant something, too....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic