Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I just don’t understand monte sometimes.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

I just don’t understand monte sometimes.

Apr 29, 2018, 4:15 PM

Heck a lot of times. First, why wouldn’t you have someone ready in the pen to start the eighth, knowing your reliever is already over extended. Then after you let miller walk the bases full you give him another hitter, who reaches on a vase hit. Then when Miller gets the hook, instead of bringing in one of your proven guys, you bring in marr? Give marr 2 batters to then yank him for one of your proven relievers, when you should have brought him in to begin with. Now it’s a 2 run game and they’re not done yet. Just scratching my head.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

like the Miami game, I don't think he thought we would lose

Apr 29, 2018, 4:17 PM

the game and wanted to see Miller work out of it, even if he gave up a couple of runs. It would have been a great learning and confidence building experience for Miller if it had worked out but this inning has turned into a huge mess.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I agree with you both I think Monte needs to

Apr 29, 2018, 4:23 PM

Learn, even after all these years, how quick it can get out of hand in college baseball.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I just don’t understand monte sometimes.

Apr 29, 2018, 4:43 PM

As hard as Conf games are to win , giving them away could cost a national seed and #1 overall in the ACC

Apr 29, 2018, 5:07 PM

You've laid it out pretty darn good. You saw it real time. I ......and everyone else did too. It's very disheartening that Lee didn't manage the pitching staff better.

Clemson was fortunate to win.

I have no doubt you don’t understand monte sometimes.***

Apr 29, 2018, 6:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

If you coached dive baseball, maybe you'd understand.***

Apr 29, 2018, 7:18 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Apr 29, 2018, 7:24 PM

Turns out they WERE done .

SMH

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Apr 29, 2018, 7:28 PM

Miller had definitely been overextended after pitching Tuesday,Friday and then three innings today. Probably should not have started eighth inning but certainly shouldn't have stayed in as long as he did.The Miami ###### should have been enough but he tried to duplicate it today.

Apr 29, 2018, 7:34 PM

We need a Barney Fife sitting by Monte. We've got to nip it!!!! Nip it in the bud !!!!!

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 29, 2018, 7:40 PM

didn't we win??

Yes but only 8 in a row***

Apr 29, 2018, 7:42 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 29, 2018, 10:19 PM [ in reply to Re: I just don’t understand monte sometimes. ]

The tribe of well qualified beer-gripper baseball coaches on TNet have decided that CML cannot coach , and makes sure that everyone else knows it too.
If we could hit and pitch in spite of our no-coaching coach maybe we'd be talking playoffs and winning a few games ... or something to that effect .

DB23

Apr 30, 2018, 8:51 AM

Not even close. Monte left him in too long for sure. Even he just said that on the radio in Columbia this morning that he was “out of gas”

The concern for some was that he didn’t seem to learn from the Miami game. That’s a reasonable take. Monte can coach and everybody knows it. Everybody makes mistakes

Yes but only because of an excellent tag on a close play at

Apr 30, 2018, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Re: I just don’t understand monte sometimes. ]

the plate! Were it not for that the game would've been tied with the bases still loaded and two outs in the bottom of the eighth. Sure a win is a win but just hate seeing what was almost another Miami debacle play out. 9-4 should be a comfortable lead with six outs to go but it wasn't. Recall after the game vs Miami it still seemed to cost us a couple of more losses because a loss like that can beat a team more than once.

Not every coaching decision is about winning the game.

Apr 30, 2018, 10:46 AM

Some of it is about prepping for the post-season. Developing game-ready depth is crucial to a post-season run.

Monte appears to have adjusted his priorities after two disappointing post-seasons in a row. He used to nearly 100% prioritize each game, now he seems to be thinking towards the post-season throughout the year.

That's my theory.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You make a good point!

Apr 30, 2018, 11:43 AM

I agree with you 100%

Re: Not every coaching decision is about winning the game.

Apr 30, 2018, 7:11 PM [ in reply to Not every coaching decision is about winning the game. ]

Why wouldn't every move be to win the game you are playing that day?

Because a post-season is coming.

May 1, 2018, 9:31 AM

Sometimes it is worth risking blowing a lead every once and a while if the result is you have 2 more reliable pitchers come tournament time.

No national champion ever went undefeated. In fact, the average number of losses for a national champion over the last 10 years is 19. If you don't coach the forest AND the trees, then you will never go all the way.

Now that we have made a habit of losing home playoff regionals, simply hosting clearly isn't the only recipe for success. Developing a playoff-ready squad sometimes involves risking W's during the regular season. It's a tough balance.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Because a post-season is coming.

May 1, 2018, 10:54 AM

It is baseball so the 1 loss won’t kill us and I do think Ryan Miller needed to throw a lot of pitches to get ready for a possible start or long relief appearance for postseason which plays to your point. I still would rather win the game and not use it as a postseason practice, but hey both happened Sunday. Miller threw a lot of pitches like he needed to and we still won. Win-Win

May 1, 2018, 11:05 AM

LOL SO THAT IS WHAT YOU GOT OUT OF THAT HUH. MONTE WAS PRACTICING FOR THE POST SEASON. SMFH. MAYBE IT WAS JUST THAT RYAN WAS CRUISING THEN A COUPLE OF CLOSE CALLS DID NOT GO HIS WAY AND HE KIND OF RAN OUT OF GAS. HE DID PITCH A HELLUVA FEW INNINGS ON FRIDAY SO HE GOT IN PLENTY OF WORK. BUT HEY, NICE TO KNOW MONTE WAS THINKING SO FAR AHEAD. THANKS.

May 1, 2018, 11:12 AM

I didn’t take that out of it. Completely solid orange had this theory. He said monte is looking more towards the postseason and doing things to get the team ready for that. So he didn’t say word for word that it was a “postseason practice” but to his point that is what he thinks it was. I agree that Miller was fine. Calm down deroberts. As much as you shake your head it’s gonna fall off man.

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Its-seems-Monte-is-hitting-on-a-lot-lately-with-his-1798124

May 1, 2018, 11:32 AM

LOL that sure is a grumpy old man.
I bet the kids in his neighborhood are scared
S hit less of him

May 1, 2018, 11:59 AM

WHAT DOES GRUMPY HAVE TO DO WITH RESPONDING TO STUPIDITY. BTW THE KIDS IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD LOVE ME. AND I AM ONLY OLD IN YEARS.

May 1, 2018, 12:55 PM

Tell me what was stupid?
I’m sorry we don’t all use all caps to make the words bigger for you to read them old man. Clearly you have a hard time comprehending the words on the screen in front of you. It’s like you just read each post one by one and don’t follow the actual conversation to get what people are saying. Im gonna abide by board rules u should to. Quit calling people stupid

May 1, 2018, 1:18 PM

UH DIDNT CALL YOU STUPID. WHAT YOU SAID OR ANYONE ELSE THAT SAID IT WAS A STUPID STATEMENT. KIND OF A DIFFERENCE. MAYBE YOU SHOULD CHECK YOUR READING COMPREHENSION.

May 1, 2018, 1:51 PM

Stupid statements come from stupid people right?

May 1, 2018, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Because a post-season is coming. ]

Only been back a day lol deroberts you're something else

May 1, 2018, 12:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Because a post-season is coming. ]

I just love how he doesn’t follow the conversation to actually understand I wasn’t the one who made the point about giving up regular-season games to focus on the postseason

May 1, 2018, 11:28 AM

Even though he has done a good job overall I have thought the same thing myself......it appears Monte waits too long sometimes to pull the trigger on pitchers having a tough time out there......making some of these games a lot closer than they should be even though we are winning most of these games......but that Miami loss was squarely on Monte.....Go Tigers!!!!!

May 1, 2018, 11:46 AM

I’m 50/50 on this debate. On one hand 1 game in baseball is meaningless and the pressure created in that situation will completely reflect the post season. Seeing how one of your best bullpen guys responds I’m ok with and it makes sense.

On the other hand, that scenario played itself out already at Miami and at some point learning experiences turn into repeated behavior and that definitely can’t happen in the post season. Look at it this way... at least we have the record where we can attempt these things to finalize a lineup and rotation as opposed to having to win now just to get into post season play.

May 1, 2018, 1:10 PM

There was a big difference in the 2 scenarios.
What made the Miami game inexcusable was that he left a RFr. Gobin in there when he had no business being there.
At least this game it was our best long reliever, he was missing close, 2 walks were at full counts. After the visit from See he walked the next guy to load the bases. That's when he could've pulled him. I thought he loaded the bases before See came to talk to him, but he didn't.
I guarantee we won't be complaining about any pitching changes moving forward. The best is yet to come for this team

May 1, 2018, 7:13 PM

deroberts -- 107.197.134.72, 107.197.134.72, 10.0.4.56 . . . . 10:01:30 PM
i see the diamond idiot is back on the board.

This was said last night in chat and said today’ golfer if you don’t think he is an idiot than I am one! Time to get him banned

May 1, 2018, 7:28 PM

Ok

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic