Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I hope we go to Peake more often this year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

I hope we go to Peake more often this year

Jul 13, 2015, 6:21 AM

He was really looking in fine form at the end of last season. In fact, I would rate him over Williams (and that's saying a lot) as our #1 WR. I don't expect many defenders to be able to cover this guy.

Of course, I'm discounting those 6-inch passes to Scott that go 70 yards and count as receptions. :) I was really talking about those reception beyond the LOS.

Scott will still be our biggest yardage guy as he is almost impossible to stop.

Now if Watson can just stay healthy, we're going to see some greatness on this team in 2015.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hope we go to Peake more often this year

Jul 13, 2015, 7:32 AM

Scott is a great portion of our running game. I know the numbers count toward receiving and yards after catch.

I agree about Peake. He may not actually be better than Williams but that doesn't matter for Mike will likely draw a team's best defender. For defenses it will be pick your poison.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2015, 8:35 AM

'Boundary' confuses a lot of people. It isn't about "best receiver" more so than about hands and length. Mike Williams gets you that. You are asking a 5'10" - 6'0" guy to defend a 6'4" WR. Which is why Martavius Bryant was so devastating at the "9". Sammy did great at the "9" as well but was more suitable at the "2" (short side) and the "5" (slot). His height and speed made it impossible to slow down.

What we have now is a problem...for defenses. Williams, Scott, and Peake are interchangeable part. Scott plays taller than 6'0", he fast and he has power. Go back and check the TD from the UNC game. Which means he sheds the first tackler well and I hope he has gotten stronger.

Peake is sheer speed and hands. DB coaches have to ask do we jam him and hope he doesn't get behind us (a la Georgia and the amazing throw from Watson) or do we play off and stop him after the catch. And at 6'2" - 6'3" he is a cover problem for most "nickel" rovers.

Then there is Williams. He doesn't have the speed of Peake and Scott. But he has the stride to be dangerous deep. Add in he is 6'4", great hands. You can't play over the top coverage without burning up the other side.

Then you have Gallman as an option and Watson slinging it. Tell me, exactly who will want to play against us?

Jul 13, 2015, 8:37 AM

i hope we have the opportunity to go to peake more often. hence that means he will be healthy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2015, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Re: I hope we go to Peake more often this year ]

Not only Gallman, but you have Dye in top condition and Brooks as well, all who are proven receivers out of the backfield. Add in RRMIII and we can do a lot out of the backfield. Not to mention Choice and Cain, both of whom have played QB and we present a lot of options. That's why confident our coaches are smart enough to have a different approach to the offense, and I'm sure we see Watson as more of a game manager this year, instead of the read option runner. We have interchangeable guys that can do that work for us without compromising The Prophet.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Peake's been the 5. Morris/Boyd didn't throw there much

Jul 13, 2015, 8:54 AM

The 5 position in generally has been a bit of a lost spot in our offense during the Morris/ Boyd era. The 9 and 2 position get almost all the balls. I don't know if it's because Morris never called plays to go there, if he wasn't comfortable with Boyd making throws there, or if Boyd himself wasn't comfortable making throws there. Jaron Brown was fairly successful at the 5, but he also got limited opportunities. Hopefully, this is something the new OCs will improve on with Watson. If things don't change, healthy or not, Peake won't see many balls and his talent gets wasted IMO.

Re: Peake's been the 5. Morris/Boyd didn't throw there much

Jul 13, 2015, 2:30 PM

Our 5 was Humphries. And Boyd went to him on third and manageable because Humphries had great hands. Also, Peake started in the 2 at the beginning of the 2014 season until he tore his ACL in practice and it open up the spots for Bryant and Williams and interchanging Watkins and Bryant.

Reading these posts makes me pretty excited, and no one

Jul 13, 2015, 9:11 AM

mentioned TE, which ought to be improved if Leggett or Richard (or someone else) lives up to potential. We would potentially destroy people on offense.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Reading these posts makes me pretty excited, and no one

Jul 13, 2015, 9:19 AM

I just don't have a good feeling about TE. I hope I'm wrong. Leggett needs to live up to his potential. He's a junior now, so now or never to turn it on.

We need a tight end to step up ASAP.***

Jul 13, 2015, 9:43 AM [ in reply to Reading these posts makes me pretty excited, and no one ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: We need a tight end to step up ASAP.***

Jul 13, 2015, 9:50 AM

Could you imagine if Dwayne Allen was on this team. Talk about National Championship.

Need a bad ### oline.***

Jul 13, 2015, 9:57 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's got to prove that he's number one. Right now:

Jul 13, 2015, 9:42 AM

1. Williams
2. Scott
3. Peake

Jul 13, 2015, 10:01 AM

Did you really just say you would rank Peake over Williams? I get it, the guy has potential and perhaps could have been our #1 had he not been injured, but it happened. To me, if we're evaluating based on past performance as well as potential, Peake should be battling Deon Cain and Hopper for the #3 spot behind Williams and Scott. As far as comparing the two directly, Williams has 77 receptions over his career for a total of 1346 yards, bring his average to 17.5 ypc. Peake on the other hand has 49 receptions for 456 yards, an average of 9.3 ypc. I'm tired of hearing about how good Peake was coming out of high school. If that doesn't translate to performance in college, then it doesn't matter if he was ranked #1 or #1000. I wish him the best and hope he turns out to be everything we thought he would be, because there is still time, but the #1 spot is earned not given.

And how do you think Peake was in "fine form" at the end of last season? Over our last 4 games, he totaled 4 receptions for 49 yards. Thanks, but I'll take the guy who is the single season all-time leader in receiving yards by a sophomore at WRU.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic