Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Tigers find no rhythm in a city known for music
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

New Story: Tigers find no rhythm in a city known for music

Jan 3, 2018, 1:50 PM

Tigers find no rhythm in a city known for music

Clemson’s beleaguered offense never found a rhythm in Monday’s Sugar Bowl. Wide receiver Hunter Renfrow stood at his locker and wondered when was the last time the Tigers failed to score a touchdown (it was in 2014 at Georgia Tech). In a city known for its music, the rhythm was lacking. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Tigers find no rhythm in a city known for music

Jan 3, 2018, 1:54 PM

Tru dat

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope in 2018 we let the RB run the football.

Jan 3, 2018, 1:57 PM

Too many QB designed run plays. We have excellent backs and only 13 total carries. Come on man!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hope in 2018 we let the RB run the football.

Jan 3, 2018, 2:28 PM

maybe read the article and you'd understand, there were no holes for the running backs. So you run the QB to expand options and hopefully open those holes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Jan 3, 2018, 3:17 PM

I agree. Remember Leonard Forget and LSU a couple of years ago? Same story. No blocking, no running. The Tigers could have had Herschel Walker and Jim Brown in their prime college years in there Monday night and it would not have mattered.

Jan 7, 2018, 1:02 PM

> I agree. Remember Leonard Forget and LSU a couple of
> years ago? Same story. No blocking, no running. The
> Tigers could have had Herschel Walker and Jim Brown
> in their prime college years in there Monday night
> and it would not have mattered.

This!

Exactly. No rythym equals minimal rushes.***

Jan 3, 2018, 4:19 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope in 2018 we let the RB run the football. ]

Jan 3, 2018, 10:52 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope in 2018 we let the RB run the football. ]

When you can't block anyone, it's going to be hard to find a "rhythm." BS. We just got overpowered.

Jan 7, 2018, 8:25 AM [ in reply to I hope in 2018 we let the RB run the football. ]

Many of those QB carries weren't designed at all. They were zone reads where the DE came in unblocked. Bryant had no choice but to eat it. (Which is why you shouldn't run zone reads against athletic fronts. We should have learned this against FSU.)

Jan 7, 2018, 9:58 AM

I somewhat disagree. KB made some awful reads on a lot of zone reads...not only during the game but during the season...that left me wondering if he was even trying to read them correctly.

An example would be on one he kept and got a loss of 3yds...if he would have given it to Feaster...Feaster would have ran at least 5yds before being touched.

Another issue I had was Bama realized something very obvious. KB trust his legs to make a play over his arm....so they knew the RPO packages were really only Run Options instead.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2018, 2:32 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Tigers find no rhythm in a city known for music ]

We must be able to present much better on offense against this level of defense.

We've shown we can do it.

Jan 3, 2018, 4:23 PM

Can talk about all the factors as to why we didn't see it Monday, but you can't argue with the fact we've shown the capability to do it against teams like Alabama. A thousand yards (+) in the previous two years speaks volumes.

Re: We've shown we can do it.

Jan 4, 2018, 9:00 AM

We had a WB who really could complete passes before. While I think BB is a great athlete, he became one dimensional. AL knew it. We should have, too. We had seen it all year. Also, receivers can’t drop the ball. While Cain is an unbelievable athlete, he is careless. We must be able to complete passes. Also, the right side of our OL has been lackluster for years. That needs to be a priority.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A New Year's Egg!

Jan 3, 2018, 5:10 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Tigers find no rhythm in a city known for music ]

After letting the game settle... it was obvious that their defensive ends were rushing free much of the night. WHY didn't the off. coaches put in additional blockers in the back field to keep them from just coming in??? Many times, they weren't even touched... straight to the QB. Heck anyone can tackle a QB like that.
Secondly, Watson would have punished them from rushing by a quick throw over the middle or flat. Where were the throws to the tight end over the middle in-stride???
Lastly, just poor adjustments to the rush by the coaches. What were they thinking the whole game... just watching the same thing happen over and over again!
Yes, this team won more than many thought, but there has been an gnawing sensation all year except for the first 2 or 3 games that this offensive team couldn't finish the 2nd half. Something was wrong with it... NO dynamics, NO consistency, NO killer instincts... Watson was a WINNER...
HE WOULD DO WHATEVER HE HAD TO. I just don't get that from Bryant or Cooper. Cooper stated after the game with Syracuse... well, you win some, you lose some... Hopefully, the QB next year will have some fire.
I am glad the team won 12-2, but I wish they would have stayed home for the playoffs rather than lay an egg in it. Coaches, be ready or stay home!

Re: A New Year's Egg!

Jan 3, 2018, 7:24 PM

Marilee. You really said that. Lol. I was at the Clemson / Bama game in 1975,,,,,you have no idea how far we have come...Bama beat us 56 to 0 and it could have been 100. Go back where you came from.. I will gladly be in the top 4 every year""..

Jan 6, 2018, 2:17 PM

Hey beta... I am a lover of Clemson football, but my love is for the WAY the game is played, NOT like the bandboys like yourself. Who cares about being #4, which is unrealistic after how the offense played? To me, it is HOW the game is played. Who remembers #4 anyway? I really don't mind losing as long as the team plays a solid game... like the last two years finals. Just don't lay down and expect praise for finishing badly..

Jan 7, 2018, 8:54 AM [ in reply to Re: A New Year's Egg! ]

This wasn't even the 2008 game.

This was a defensive struggle that was decided on field position and a couple of tipped balls that went right into the hands of Bama defenders. If the first INT falls to the ground and the drive had continued, who knows?

Disappointed about the outcome, but making the playoffs with only 6 scholarship seniors is a sign that the program is in pretty good shape.

Jan 3, 2018, 10:56 PM [ in reply to A New Year's Egg! ]

You nailed it. No excuses. Terrible all around. Nope, we're not up there with Alabama.

Jan 4, 2018, 10:21 AM [ in reply to A New Year's Egg! ]

FIRE TONY ELLIOT !!!!###

Jan 7, 2018, 8:34 AM [ in reply to A New Year's Egg! ]

Yes, we needed better blocking in the backfield, throws to the TE over the middle, and a deep threat. We had:

No Wayne Gallman blocking in the backfield.
No Jordan Leggett over the middle.
No Mike Williams or Charone Peake downfield. Tee Higgins left with an injury early. Deon Cain had two big drops and got abused on the 2nd interception. And we weren't getting any PI calls either.

KB did all he could, but we could have had Tom Brady under center and it wouldn't have made a difference.

The coaches were playing it like the Auburn or BC game. Keep it close, avoid disasters, and let the defense win it. That didn't work this time.

Jan 3, 2018, 2:10 PM

This is all good, but tell the fans how they are going to get their groove back for the fans! The fans need to know! What are they going to do from here on out? First start with themselves, keep grinding and pushing each other on the field. Protect the QB at all cost! Attack, attack, attack!!!!! This can never ever happen again, team work guys, teamwork, get it together, watch each others back, play assignment football, be Clemson, do what Clemson do best and that is to WIN! Each player needs to promise to do the unthinkable and that is to deliver and have a better outcome. May the force be with them! Go Tigers!

Jan 3, 2018, 2:23 PM

I wish you had not used the phrase "never again."

Jan 3, 2018, 2:35 PM

Oops, I am soooooo sorry! The Coots, I forgot!

Jan 3, 2018, 2:31 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Tigers find no rhythm in a city known for music ]

Delivering a better outcome is unthinkable?

Jan 3, 2018, 2:47 PM

I don't know if bama's defense just shut us down or our game plan and execution was just anemic

It was a little bit of both...

Jan 3, 2018, 3:04 PM

We had a golden opportunity to turn it around when we got the turnover to start the 2nd half... and what did we do? The offense came onto the field looking like it wasn't ready to be there... looking to the sideline like "what do we do now?"... and the sideline responded with anemic play calls... the result? Three plays for -5 yards, kick...

At that point, it was pretty evident that we had squandered our opportunity to get back into the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It was a little bit of both...

Jan 3, 2018, 3:58 PM

We still had a massive opportunity after that, driving to take the lead in 'Bama territory. And then...

Answer:

Jan 3, 2018, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Tigers find no rhythm in a city known for music ]

Most of the credit goes to Bama. We shot ourselves in the foot many times ( execution), but the plan was there.

Hats off to the juiced-up savages.

Jan 3, 2018, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Tigers find no rhythm in a city known for music ]

A bit of both. But I think this perhaps our worst game of the year. Never been sold on our offense this year.

Jan 3, 2018, 4:58 PM

We looked like Rocky in his first match with Clubber Lane. Completely outmatched and deflated. I know these guys put the time in and then some, and they’ll be the first to admit that performance was ugly but I expected to at least put a touchdown on the board? Offense was not prepared/ready. Deon has dropped too many balls this year atkey moments. He gives me the impression that he thinks he’s better than what he is. Kelly does not have a good sense of pressure from his back side nor a quick trigger. Vanilla play calling....I know we were spoiled with Deshaun but I think Trevor will be a better fit next year. I’ll be interested to watch this QB competition play out. Thank got for the defense who did a phenomenal job given the cards they were dealt the entire night.

Jan 28, 2024, 10:54 PM

I agree. The defense played well, given the fact that they had no help whatever from the offense.

oh how your irony does cut so deep.

Jan 26, 2024, 6:03 AM

Mercy I say!

What I took from the game

Jan 3, 2018, 6:19 PM

NOT from the season, "the game".
And I think most people would agree, but we need an upgrade at OL

Re: What I took from the game

Jan 3, 2018, 11:02 PM

Yep!

After Georgia Beats Bama

Jan 3, 2018, 8:16 PM

It will prove to Dabo that you can beat Bama with a good defense and a decent quarterback.

Our defense is the only reason we had the record we had this year. Bama only scored 10 points on us.

KB gave them 14 points just like Stoudt gave GT 14 points back in 2014

Re: After Georgia Beats Bama

Jan 7, 2018, 8:58 AM

Those picks weren't KBs fault.

The first was on Anchrum and Etienne failing to block the DE.
The second was Cain getting outplayed by the DB.

TNet would defend any garbage that DW4 threw into triple coverage, yet a hit-as-he-threw interception proves KB is the next Cole Stoudt.

Jan 3, 2018, 9:31 PM

Looking back on it, I might have seen that one coming. The team should be proud for winning 12 games and earning a spot in the playoffs. However, this was the weakest team we've fielded in the past 6 seasons. They shouldn't hang their heads. They overachieved this season but certainly weren't ready to play Bama. I hate to send players out on a loss like that, but a lot of younger players learned a painful lesson and we have a wealth of talent coming in. We will be back. Hats off to Bama. They played a dxmn fine game.

Jan 4, 2018, 10:19 AM

FIRE TONY ELLIOT !!!!###

We’ve just got to learn from it and get better!***

Jan 4, 2018, 5:23 PM

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic