Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Happy Anniversary Dabo!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

New Story: Happy Anniversary Dabo!

Oct 12, 2017, 7:31 AM

Happy Anniversary Dabo!

On this date in 2008, wide receivers coach Dabo Swinney was back at home after a recruiting trip to North Carolina. As he played with his three sons, Swinney had no idea what the next few days would bring. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Happy Anniversary Dabo!

Oct 12, 2017, 7:45 AM

"Just live today. Just have a great day today. Just take one moment at a time. That’s what I try to do.”

Words for all of us to live by.
Thank You, Dabo!!!!

So true!***

Oct 12, 2017, 9:33 AM

I heard it first from Philpot

Oct 12, 2017, 7:50 AM

When rumors were swirling that CTB was on the way out, I remember Philpot saying that the WR coach, Swinney, was the likely interim replacement. He said Swinney was very popular with the team. I was only vaguely aware of him. I also remember an article on ESPN or CBS news about you never want to promote the popular assistant coach to head coach. Yeah, right.

Re: I heard it first from Philpot

Oct 12, 2017, 1:41 PM

Sometimes, popular people don't always get the respect they need to succeed as managers or coaches. In this case it worked out beautifully. Happy Anniversary, Dabo!

I remember having my reporters go with

Oct 12, 2017, 8:01 AM

The story early. I wasn’t even sure I believed it but our source was on the inside and assured me it was about to go down. So we went on air with it. I got calls from everyone calling us anything from stupid to absurd. 30 minutes later the school made it public and life would never be the same for us Tiger fans. Being in the press has its pros and cons but sometimes we get it right. And this time TDP definitely got it right!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Oct 12, 2017, 8:02 AM

Happy anniversary coach, and as a gift Syracuse is going to throw the kitchen sink at us. That i promise. But all those years ago, when they announced that Dabo was hired on the staff, I nor anyone else thought that one day you would build a dynasty here and do it the right way. You built something that everyone in the nation can look at and know , you can succeed without compromising. You're a class act.
GO TIGER'S!!!!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2017, 9:57 AM

THIS! +1 And. might I add, you can do it with players who earn their degrees and who provide a positive example. Clemson is so special!

Message was edited by: Dugatiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2017, 8:10 AM

Just goes to show us all, especially the self professed "experts" for the sports world, that they don't know it all (and never will), and that true wisdom for something like TDP did in embracing a WRs coach as interim HC goes way beyond conventional metrics and practices. It's there for any to use if one opens their mind to possibilities. Phillips saw the potential even if few else did and gave him the opportunity.

And boy did that planted seed germinate and produce a program that blossomed into maybe the finest example of college football in America.

It's been a journey that's been a joy to watch and participate in as a fan. I truly appreciate the gift Dabo's leaderership, vision, and wisdom have brought to me as a fellow Tiger and know he's done the same for countless others.

Happy anniversary Dabo. And may there be 20 more of them. Go Tigers.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo is a man sold out to the Lord, he would defer all

Oct 12, 2017, 8:25 AM

GLORY to his Savior and tell us all to stay humble. And its out there for the whole world to see! God is still in the miracle business!! The world would be a better place if we would all follow Dabo's lead. Thank you JESUS!

Go Tigers! POUND the orange

and never doubt that there wasn't some Devine Intervention

Oct 12, 2017, 8:29 AM

when TDP was contemplating that phone call! God loves us that much, to even use college football to spread the Gospel. Wow!

dial it back a notch***

Oct 12, 2017, 8:51 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: dial it back a notch***

Oct 12, 2017, 9:05 AM

Why?????

I think I understand your reasoning but also think we

Oct 12, 2017, 4:47 PM [ in reply to dial it back a notch*** ]

have been tooooo quiet for too long. Stated nothing but truth. Want the glory to placed where it belongs.

Devine? You mean this guy?

Oct 12, 2017, 9:17 AM [ in reply to and never doubt that there wasn't some Devine Intervention ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Oct 12, 2017, 8:48 AM

I just hope that next year on this weekend we can have a home game where all Tigers can celebrate 10 years with the best coach in college football together in Death Valley!!!

D. Rad- make it happen!!!!!

My Friend, you and I probably can come up with MILLIONS of

Oct 12, 2017, 9:14 AM

reasons why your wish will be Fulfilled! lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My Friend, you and I probably can come up with MILLIONS of

Oct 12, 2017, 10:37 AM

My wish is for the schedulers to give us a home game that weekend. Everything else needed for the celebration is in place....

Oct 12, 2017, 8:58 AM

:)

Bloom where you are planted.

Oct 12, 2017, 8:59 AM

He's certainly fulfilled that directive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What I know is this: there are a whole lot of programs

Oct 12, 2017, 9:26 AM

across this nation that wish they could be saying "Happy Anniversary" to Dabo.

If he were to depart tomorrow, I'd be grateful for the time we had him.

Re: What I know is this: there are a whole lot of programs

Oct 12, 2017, 10:02 AM

Me too, but I hope he stays a long time.

Happy to be wrong...

Oct 12, 2017, 9:30 AM

I was very skeptical about the Dabo hire back then. So glad I was wrong! Go Tigers!

Happy to be wrong...

Oct 12, 2017, 9:30 AM

I was very skeptical about the Dabo hire back then. So glad I was wrong! Go Tigers!

I’ll be honest, I had my doubts but he has done such a WONDERFUL job! Happy Anniversary!***

Oct 12, 2017, 9:33 AM

ABSOLUTELY!

Oct 12, 2017, 9:55 AM

Great hire and a great part of Clemson's rich and storied history. What a great example, both on the field and off, he provides. So proud he's ours!

Happy Anniversary Coach!

Oct 12, 2017, 10:09 AM

As someone who lived in SEC land, did not have cable, and did not have internet, I had no idea who you were. I figured you would be there until the end of the season and then they would find another coach. My parents who still live near Clemson told me to sit back and watch.....that they believed you could make a run for it given the chance.

I am so grateful that you were given that chance and that you are our Coach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Happy Anniversary Coach!

Oct 12, 2017, 2:41 PM

Just think, this was the same year Tennessee decided to hire Lane Kiffin as their head coach. The pundits & self-declared experts regarded it as a splashy hire, while so many of them laughed at Clemson for hiring Dabo Swinney.

What a mess the LK hire was....

Oct 12, 2017, 6:20 PM

I am not a TN fan but still really dislike that man.

I walked out of wake forest's stadium that night and thanked

Oct 12, 2017, 11:07 AM

Every person I could for ending 10 years of mediocrity. I remember the next weekend having some no it all NCSU fan tell me we'd made a mistake.

"Clemson has had zero 10 win seasons, championships, or division titles under Bowden."

Then defending him to other fans after Kyle Parkers injured sophomore 6-6 season.

Dabo has exceeded every expectation. Just wow.

Oct 12, 2017, 11:19 AM

Maryland Loss was at home not on the road. I was there when the fans gathered in the lower Southwest stands to yell at Bowden. Ugly sight.

Thank you Dabo for bringing football ( and much more )

Oct 12, 2017, 12:01 PM

back to Clemson University .

Oct 12, 2017, 12:24 PM

I thought his anniversary was on Oct 13?

Where's RazzMaTazz?

Oct 12, 2017, 12:51 PM

Haven't seen him post in a while. For a least the first 2 years of Dabo's tenure he posted daily multiple times calling the hire a mistake and claiming dabo had no idea what he was doing.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Forgot all about Razzy

Oct 12, 2017, 1:21 PM

What an insufferable loon.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2017, 1:58 PM

I’m very happy to wish Dabo a very Happy Anniversary! Who knew in 2008 what great things this man could do once he had control of the program. He turns out young men who can live productive lives and contribute to society. They learn how to be ‘real’ men who can love each other and not be afraid to show it. Whether or not they believe in God, they have at least seen examples of Him from their Coach. A fine man is Dabo Swinney!

Wake may have been Tommy's last loss but...

Oct 12, 2017, 1:59 PM

it was the Maryland game that sealed his fate. That one was the typical "Tommy Bowden let down" game. Fat Ralph Freidgen told his Terrepins to "hit Clemson in the mouth and they'll fold." He was right and they beat us in the valley. Tommy was not going to survive after that one. The loss to Wake merely sped up the process.

It's incredible to see how far this program has come.

I can say I always believed!

Oct 12, 2017, 3:02 PM

I remember where I was the moment I found out that Dabo Swinney would be our interim head coach. It was on the radio while I was driving between Rock Hill & Columbia that Monday morning after the Wake Forest game. Among family that evening I wondered out loud if this was the right move or not, but we were all in agreement that it was time for a change. None of us were ever in the camp of Bowden-detractors, but by then we were in year 10 of Coach Bowden's tenure with no ACC titles or national relevancy to show for it. In the 4th quarter of the South Carolina game we were all chanting "Dabo, Dabo" from the stands & we were all happy for him when he got the job permanently. He's been more successful than I ever dared to dream.

Irony - On coot radio today they said it was the 2-year

Oct 12, 2017, 4:57 PM

anniversary of Spurrier quitting. Priceless.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My son, who was a student at the time, called me at noon....

Oct 12, 2017, 5:56 PM

that day as I was pulling into the Flat Rock Grill in Asheville, NC for a lunch meeting to tell me that Tommy Bowden had resigned. The first words out of my mouth were "I hope Terry Don Phillips hires Dabo Swinney." How prophetic. I loved Terry Don's decision then and even more now. Dabo has taken the Clemson football program to heights it never experienced under Frank Howard, Charlie Pell or Danny Ford (I lived through the Hootie Ingram, Ken Hatfield and Tommy West years). Clemson's program is now one of the most respected in the country and the envy of all.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY DABO SWINNEY AND THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE FOR CLEMSON UNIVERSITY!

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic