Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Well Spoken Young Man
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Well Spoken Young Man

Apr 26, 2012, 10:24 AM

this phrase is NEVER attached to white guys. I say that, as a white guy. Interesting that it's only applied to black athletes.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why do they always compare white basketball players

Apr 26, 2012, 10:26 AM

to other white basketball players? this seems racist to me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True! All good white bball players are

Apr 26, 2012, 10:27 AM

Larry Bird or Pete Merevich, or maybe John Stockton

Re: True! All good white bball players are

Apr 26, 2012, 10:28 AM

and they all "hustle" or have "high basketball IQ's"

Why are all white wide receivers compared to Wes

Apr 26, 2012, 10:29 AM

Welker?

This is some rampant racism going on here in this country.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Human nature.

Apr 26, 2012, 11:09 AM [ in reply to why do they always compare white basketball players ]

Black QB's always compare themseleves to other black QB's too.

White running backs are always compared to other white RB's.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

the same reason all black qbs get compared to each other.***

Apr 26, 2012, 1:11 PM [ in reply to why do they always compare white basketball players ]

White people are assumed to be well-spoken.

Apr 26, 2012, 10:29 AM

Duh.

that was a well-spoken post

Apr 26, 2012, 10:30 AM

you must be white

I hear that about a number of articulate young people.

Apr 26, 2012, 10:31 AM

Its generally applied to people that speak above their expected maturity level not really race. I've interviewed new college grads for jobs and one of the draw backs is when they "sound young" with a bunch of "you knows" or chuckles after making a point.

Re: I hear that about a number of articulate young people.

Apr 26, 2012, 10:55 AM

IPTAY, Your point takes nothing away from the original point. In your experiences that may be why you and those you know do it but to the original point as well as the others that followed, 100% true in my experiences. A black guy that is a great passer, rebounds well and is a very god shooter will NEVER be compared to Bird. A black left tacke in football is never compared to a white one, even if they have duplicate talents and strengths.

To the well spoken comment. NOT because of expected maturity level with respect to SPORTS. Unfortunately, in the past it SEEMS that many young black athletes do not speak well. This perception becomes reality so when you see a kid that defies PERCEPTION, it brings those comments. Sometimes innocently because depending on who's interviewed, we may see a lot of poorly spoken black kids in a short span of time creating the perception.

I understand your point

Apr 26, 2012, 12:29 PM

and agree that it does end up with expectations. But I don't see that the expectations boil down just to the race of the speaker.

I would say Donnovan McNabb was well spoken. I would say that Peyton Manning sounds like a blubbering horse when he talks.

I would say that RG3 is well spoken. I would say that Andrew Luck sounds like a 15 year old (at least in the segment with Gruden).

Sammy Watkins is well very articulate for an 18-22 year old. He knows what to say, how to say it and more importantly when to shut up. I would have sounded like a incoherent boob if I was on TV when I was 18. And athletic ability isn't the only thing we don't have in common if you know what I mean!

And I get that white WRs are called possession receivers and black QBs that can run are called Running QBs. A 300lb black guy is going to be tried on the defensive line and a 300lb white guy is going to be offense first. Back in the 90s Westside had a good black QB and a fast as lightening white WR. On recruiting trips the black guy was funneled to the WRs and the white guy was sent with the QBs. Trust me, I understand that.

Re: Well Spoken Young Man

Apr 26, 2012, 10:31 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkqwspFr3D8

Re: Well Spoken Young Man- you never hear this when

Apr 26, 2012, 10:46 AM

referring to mimes even though they all paint their faces white. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because lib journalists and lib politicians are hypocrites:

Apr 26, 2012, 11:16 AM

They complain about prejudice and discrimination while they're discriminating:

http://articles.cnn.com/2007-01-31/politics/biden.obama_1_braun-and-al-sharpton-african-american-presidential-candidates-delaware-democrat?_s=PM:POLITICS

When did people forget the word "articulate"? Never use

Apr 26, 2012, 11:18 AM

two words when one will do.

Re: When did people forget the word "articulate"? Never use

Apr 26, 2012, 2:21 PM

My views do not coincide with yours on this particular topic of discussion......

Clemson

NOT true

Apr 26, 2012, 11:19 AM

Had a boss say that about me once. So there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

In fact, most of Tnet thought Boyd was a Woody Dantzler

Apr 26, 2012, 11:21 AM

type scrambler. Black QB = scrambler. White QB = Elway

This country has a serious double standard issue***

Apr 26, 2012, 11:23 AM

Anybody ever watch "The League"

Apr 26, 2012, 11:52 AM

Stereotypes all sports reporters, analysts, or commentators like to use:

Class act: A term used by sports commentators and society to refer to the black coach, e.g., Tony Dungy.

Firecracker, spark plug: The Latino athlete, as referred to by the sports commentators or personalities

Gym rat, scrappy player: The white athlete, e.g., Wes Welker

Inscrutable player: The Asian athlete

Well, you know!***

Apr 26, 2012, 12:58 PM

You may be wrong.

Apr 26, 2012, 1:48 PM

If you ever heard comments about the Michigan St. QB (Cousins), that's one of the first things most people notice, and say. And I think that they're correct. And yes, he's caucasian.

"He was a handsome, athletic, well spoken,

Apr 26, 2012, 2:18 PM

delightfully polite and liked young man.

A law student, psychology major, very hardworking volunteer for the Republican Party and a possible future state candidate for Governor and even President."

Instant Messenger author, Benoit Akoa describing some white dude named Ted Bundy.

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very True And Ted Bundy

Apr 26, 2012, 11:49 PM

could charm the pants off of many women and he did -- just before he killed them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic