Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I have watched Notre Dame versus USC,Pitt,and now North-
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

I have watched Notre Dame versus USC,Pitt,and now North-

Dec 26, 2018, 11:47 PM

western. Southern Cal has the 83 rd ranked offense in the country. They COULD have beaten Notre Dame by holding on to the ball. Fumbled on the Notre Dame 20 and the Notre Dame 12 and lost by 7,24-17. Pitt lost 19-14,(96th ranked offense), and Nortwestern lost 31-21 with the 105th ranked offense and the 63rd ranked defense(Plus they may have had a couple of zebras.They got some spots in that game that were incredible).

So, I just don't see them beating us. Those teams are slow. Their QB's are, to quote Walt, pedestrian. I don't see how that defense is going to stop us. The SoCal qb lobbed it to the sideline much like Kelly did for us,and they still picked up big yards. No sir,they are not going to stop us, unless we just turn it over.

I think we win by 2 touchdowns. I guess we will see.

Spud

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have watched Notre Dame versus USC,Pitt,and now North-

Dec 26, 2018, 11:56 PM

I was hoping for a 4 TD win Spud, can't you do a little better than 2 TD's!!!;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2018, 12:24 AM

Yeah
Go back and watch those games again and find us two more TDs

Dec 27, 2018, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Re: I have watched Notre Dame versus USC,Pitt,and now North- ]

How about Tigers by 3 TD's? !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2018, 1:14 AM

I agree we are a better and more complete team, although they are complete too they do things well but we do them on another level I’d rhar makes sense. But it’s a bigger game and I promise you that will have prepared more and will be giving us their best but luckily we have the best coaches in the land, this should be a tiger W! Also, FREE BIG DEX!

On the flip side....

Dec 27, 2018, 5:27 AM

they destroyed Syracuse who has the #16 total offense. I believe we still win, just don't think it's a fair comparison. Looking at the 3 common opponents, we beat them by an avg of 32. They beat those teams by an avg. of 22. I think this game is closer than most believe, but I think 2 TDs is in the neighborhood. Good guys by 10.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: On the flip side....

Dec 27, 2018, 6:16 AM

They destroyed Syracuse in ND without Dungey, who went out in the first quarter. Now, there is no guarantee Syracuse would have come back to win, but the 16th ranked offense went out the window when Dungey got hurt. Their back up is not exactly Chase Brice.

I too see a 2 TD point spread. I simply don't see ND being able to keep up, with or without big Dex.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's true

Dec 27, 2018, 6:45 AM

forgot about that.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In ND?

Dec 27, 2018, 8:28 AM [ in reply to Re: On the flip side.... ]

Not saying they didn't destroy Syracuse but the game was not a home game for them. It was in Yankee Stadium.

Plus it was after Syracuse had already played us

Dec 27, 2018, 8:55 AM

Any Clemson fan knows that Syracuse gives up on the season after they play Clemson.

Dec 27, 2018, 6:24 AM

ND's opponents have sucked. USC is terrible. That's why there is no excuse for us to lose. If we do, we were never that good. We should definitely win if we are who we think we are.

Dec 27, 2018, 6:49 AM

Well, I believe we are who we think we are.

Stacked from top to bottom and with lots of leadership on and off of the field. This team will go down as one of the best if not the best. I would take our defensive front with both skill, experience and depth over any other in the country! Go Tigers. Smack the Irish and go Take your rightful place in another CFP championship game!

Dec 27, 2018, 7:59 AM

The USC and Pitt games were not pretty. You have some good analysis here. The Northwestern win was a guality win.

I will add that of the 52 points those three scored:

-7 came on a kickoff return (Pittsburgh)
-7 came on a blocked punt taken back to our ten yard line (NW)
-7 came on a drive when our D softened with a 24-7 4Q lead (NW)
-7 came after an offsides on a punt return extended what was otherwise a 3 and out (NW)
-7 came against a prevent defense under a minute (USC)

We will have our hands full Saturday, as I've said on here a bunch. I think people are underestimating our defense and overrating our offense. Hot take: Syracuse's offense isn't very good and their D is actually decent. People have this reversed. Dungey had been replaced by their backup before (coach's decision), who brought them back against North Carolina

Regarding the ‘hot take’.....

Dec 27, 2018, 8:43 AM

Cuse had a good O with Dungey....he is a gamer who is tough as nails and is a true team leader....they weren’t world beaters on O, but were good with him. Yes, their backup did bring them back in the dome against unc...but unc had one of the worst defenses in all of football this season.
Agreed that their D was slightly underrated, although they lack depth.
Looking forward to the game Saturday and appreciate your in-depth analysis...refreshing compared to some of the other jargon on here.

Dec 27, 2018, 9:29 AM [ in reply to Re: I have watched Notre Dame versus USC,Pitt,and now North- ]

I'm certainly not underestimating ND's defense in the run game. I don't think we will have much success running inside, but we might be able to use speed to make some headway on the edges. We should be able to have success in the passing game, one of the suspended players (Galloway) is a Fr. TE who might have been one of our best surprise weapons in the middle.

As for ND's offense, I doubt they'll have much success running the ball inside or outside against Clemson, but I do expect them to find success with the TEs against our secondary and it could be bad news for us if we can't get our deep passing game going. If we do, it won't matter what ND does..... we'll blow them out of Texas.

Dec 27, 2018, 8:04 AM

Don't overlook that Pitt missed 2 FG's and lost by 5. The longest was ~45 yards, and they did not miss by much. If they had made just ONE of those FG's, then their late drive could have only required a FG instead of a TD. ND was LUCKY that day.

Dec 27, 2018, 8:36 AM

we just can't have ND getting lucky saturday.. and the only way they're gonna get lucky is if we hand that luck to them... like CDS has always said... it's not about them, it's about us.

Dec 27, 2018, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Re: I have watched Notre Dame versus USC,Pitt,and now North- ]

I leaned on TigerNet that luck has nothing to do with missed field goals and everything to do with being intimidated by the defense.

This was taught to me by TigerNet scholars when NC State missed a game winning FG against us a few years back.

As a result, ND was not lucky. Their defense cause those misses just as Clemson defense caused the NC State player to miss basically an extra point.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we are better and should win but you could probably

Dec 27, 2018, 9:38 AM

draw similar conclusions about Clemson if you were to only watch the A&M, Cuse, and South Carolina games.

Are you kidding me?***

Dec 27, 2018, 9:42 AM

About what?

Dec 27, 2018, 9:43 AM

Watching arguably the 3 worst games a team played all season and then drawing blanket conclusions from them?

The 3 worst? What great game did they have? Syracuse,

Dec 27, 2018, 2:35 PM

without Dungey. USC was their last game. Northwestern was fairly recent and Pitt was a common opponent.

Dec 27, 2018, 2:51 PM

I think you're right. Notre Dame would need quite a bit of help from us to beat us.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Dec 27, 2018, 2:57 PM

Unfortunately, this logic does not typically work, although the stats make you feel better about this game. For instance, who would have thought that in 2015, a 6 point win over Troy (way too close of a game) resulted in a National Championship team.
Preparation and the mental aspect are major factors in these Playoff games, which Dabo has a pretty good track record. Hopefully, we come out prepared like we did against Oklahoma and Ohio State (underdog and disrespect being the motivating factors in my opinion).

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic