Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
After a couple months of doing nothing significant...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 267

After a couple months of doing nothing significant...

Nov 21, 2019, 9:18 AM

I actually did something productive yesterday. My back let me know and I slept well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJqjlFGZxtE

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a pretty fluid weekend coming up.

Nov 21, 2019, 9:19 AM

Specifically Land Rover brake, power steering, transmission and diff fluid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have a pretty fluid weekend coming up.

Nov 21, 2019, 9:23 AM

I strongly suggest you remove the refill plug before you remove the drain plug in the differential. But I know you know that, I just wanted to make sure you know that I know. :)

I kinda enjoy brakes. I work on a mudbucket most of the time with all four corners of the vehicle on tall heavy duty jackstands.

I can't imagine doing brakes on a lift. I reckon that's what heaven is going to be.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

amen on the brakes and the lift.

Nov 21, 2019, 9:28 AM

Nothing better than opening that bleeder valve and watching dirty nasty fluid turn clean, shiny, and bubble free.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And nothing worse than

Nov 21, 2019, 9:30 AM

doing a coolant flush. I'd love to find a neat and tidy way to do it.

Speaking of flushing coolant systems.

Nov 21, 2019, 9:44 AM

I plan to buy a sump pump for that. I'm going to hook it to the return from the heater coil, remove the thermostat (maybe gut the ole one) and let it run for 24 hrs. The pump will sit on a brick in the bottom of a 5 gal bucket and pump a 10% citric acid solution through the system.

I've already removed the block plug and rinsed it and the radiator with clear water. MB swears by the citric acid but recommends that you drive the car about 100 miles running that solution. I suppose heat from the engine plays a part of the process but that's not how I'm doing it.

Those who have used this method assure me that the sludge all breaks loose and ends up in the bottom of the bucket when you do the final flush with distilled water. I don't expect to live long enough to need to do this again.

On power steering.

Nov 21, 2019, 9:36 AM [ in reply to Re: I have a pretty fluid weekend coming up. ]

When I changed the engine out for the diesel I should have rebuilt the PS gear while the engine bay was empty. Since I didn't catch that until the engine was in place I flushed the system using a return into a bucket, a cordless variable speed drill to turn the pump and some cheap fluid to purge the trash.

Still, when I removed the gear and tore it down I found residue of seals in the bottom of the gear casing. I installed seals, set rotational friction on everything within it and pumped the system full of FEBI PS fluid after installing a new filter in the pump.

I was so insecure rebuilding a PS gear that I did two. The first one I set the rotational friction on the main shaft three times to make sure it landed between 5 ncm and 12 ncm. WTPH is a Ncm anyway, right? I had to return to basic physics and do some maff to be able to measure such horsechit specifications.

I build the tool using a yardstick centered on a knife blade and marked cm increments in both directions and use the ole mass times distance equation to determine how tight to get a 26mm (I think) nut.

Only a sick mo fo would go to that lengths to do something and only a compulsive obsessive would do it twice. I'm long gone here, Obed. I'm fit for a straight jacket. Who needs two rebuilt PS gearboxes?

I appreciate the effort, but I gotta be honest,

Nov 21, 2019, 9:42 AM

I'm not sure at this point in my life whether I'll regret or look forward to having that much free time. I'll be there though as well.

I love sheetrock work.

Nov 21, 2019, 9:51 AM

I entered and graduated from Clemson to get away from sheetrock work but only had one job which seemed as satisfying as just driving nails and making rock smooth enough to paint. I was a perfectionist with a good handle on diminishing returns.

The greatest compliment I ever got was from a really old painter who declared I was the first finisher he's seen who wasn't blind. Nothing satisfied me like stunning painters and I made a ton of money working for people who wanted work done right.

Working on this car has returned me to that feeling. I thought it was lost forever and even when I built houses after retirement and did stunning trim work unseen by most it didn't satisfy my need to accomplish. I might be the most ###### up person I know. I think I am just feeding my ego.

Bless me, Father, for I have sinned.

Replies: 8
| visibility 267
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic