Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Club sports field crisis & Clemson Rugby
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Club sports field crisis & Clemson Rugby

Mar 18, 2016, 10:57 AM

The Field Crisis

A crisis of monster proportions has overtaken Clemson Rugby at the very moment we have an excellent undergraduates and great coaches (Steve Lynch for the men’s club and Frank Graziano for the women’s). There is no rugby pitch at Clemson anymore and the university has not communicated concrete plans to provide one, beyond, “The next one will not be for Rugby”. Right now, we cannot schedule home matches at all (The artificial turf pitch isn’t allowed by the league because we can’t have fixed goal posts and the lines are a mess). All games must be on the road until a field is built which, none are in process.

When the crisis began, it seemed like a temporary thing. It poured rain the weekend of the Notre Dame football game. Football fans parked on all the intramural and club sports fields and ruined them—to the point that they were dangerous had had to be closed out of fear of broken legs and lawsuits. The assumption was that spring would come, the fields would be re-graded and re-seeded, and all would go back to normal.

Rugby was already in the process of moving out to the old Y Beach along with other club sports. An elaborate complex was planned out there that included dedicated fields two of which were committed to be suitable as rugby pitches. A diagram of this was published in the Clemson World last fall and shared with all Clemson Rugby supporters. Only one of those fields, the LoConte Field, built by an endowment from the LoConte family, is completed at present. It is lined for intramural flag football, , soccer and I think field hockey—a maze of cross-hatches. The construction drawings listed and showed orange lines for rugby but, they were not included when the field was installed for some reason. There is considerable dispute over whether the LoConte endowment was intended for club sports only or for intramurals as well. The University’s Recreation Office has dedicated its use for mostly intramurals. There is no money budgeted for the other fields yet. That’s why rugby and many other club sport students have nowhere to play.

What Can I do?

There is to be a meeting at 10 a.m. in Sikes Hall on March 30th, with Almeda Jacks, the VP of Student Affairs, and various other officials who oversee the Campus Recreation Office. It would be nice if you could attend. Just a physical presence could have a big impact. But knowing that most of you live far from campus, it would be nice to present the Administration with letters of testimony from alumni, faculty, parents, current players and just plain friends of rugby. These letters should address how much club sports and student-life has meant to you in terms of preparing you for life and how it will forever be much of your personal connection to Clemson. These don’t need to be long but should make a strong positive point. This isn't about wins and trophies but the experience and memories that shaped your impression of Clemson. It is about supporting the current students at Clemson and future students.

Address these positive tone letters about the opportunity to Vice President of Student Affairs, Almeda Jacks 202 Sikes Hall, Clemson, SC 29634. Send them directly if you wish, or send them to me, Rich Saunders, and I will assemble them in a packet to present at the March 30th meeting.

Paper letters can go to Richard Saunders, Department of History, Hardin Hall, Clemson SC 29634-0527. Or send e-mails to airedal@clemson.edu (like an Airedale dog without the final e). He will get them printed out so hopefully this will be one big packet of testimonials.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Rugby is back on top.
Dailypaul.com

Re: Club sports field crisis & Clemson Rugby

Mar 18, 2016, 11:04 AM

??
It's a big issue at Clemson and it pains me to see the people on here who think tailgating is king over everything else at the university. I hate that my friends can't play games here at Clemson where we can go watch. I hope it gets fixed soon and isn't allowed to happen again. Intramural fields are used for more than parking a few Saturday's a year. They're used daily by students and athletes.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The issue was exacerbated....

Mar 18, 2016, 11:12 AM

when the Athletic Department made the decision to construct a soccer practice/training facility on the site of the old rugby field. That decision impacted both the rugby teams and parking for football games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The issue was exacerbated....

Mar 18, 2016, 11:24 AM

Forgive my ignorance but where are you talking about? Is that the indoor facility between Riggs field and the tennis center?
Good point though.

I just hate to see clemson's fields trashed and unusable.

The old rugby field behind Beautiful Tiger Field....

Mar 18, 2016, 11:26 AM

Also knows as Area Lot 13.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The old rugby field behind Beautiful Tiger Field....

Mar 18, 2016, 12:35 PM

The club fields? That's all there and we call it the club fields bc that's usually where they play club sports. Where is the soccer facility?

Huh maybe I need to take a run over there when we get back next week and explore. Guess I haven't really been past the back of the baseball stadium and the golf facility

Yes...the club fields...

Mar 18, 2016, 2:42 PM

The new soccer facility is being built where the club fields were. In fact, it is currently under construction.

http://www.clemson.edu/webcams/#

Dang, Dr. Saunders hasn't retired yet? I had him for

Mar 18, 2016, 11:08 AM

several history classes in 77 or 78. I used to run into him at rugby parties also. Great guy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dang, Dr. Saunders hasn't retired yet? I had him for

Mar 18, 2016, 11:09 AM

He retired last year I believe. Please consider writing a letter of support for him to print out and give to the University.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Rugby is back on top.
Dailypaul.com

Re: Dang, Dr. Saunders hasn't retired yet? I had him for

Mar 18, 2016, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Dang, Dr. Saunders hasn't retired yet? I had him for ]

Saunders was great. Except for this book reports. Those were tedious.

I had him for American History in 1982***

Mar 18, 2016, 11:29 AM [ in reply to Dang, Dr. Saunders hasn't retired yet? I had him for ]

I had him for History of the 60s and for a couple of more

Mar 18, 2016, 11:42 AM

I don't remember.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I had him for American History in 1982***

Mar 18, 2016, 12:42 PM [ in reply to I had him for American History in 1982*** ]

Choo Choo Saunders, the railroad according to Saunders was what drove american history. You could pass his class if you work the train into any answer to one of history exams.

Re: I had him for American History in 1982***

Mar 18, 2016, 12:42 PM [ in reply to I had him for American History in 1982*** ]

Choo Choo Saunders, the railroad according to Saunders was what drove american history. You could pass his class if you work the train into any answer to one of history exams.

Mar 18, 2016, 11:16 AM

Good luck to you guys. I had a few friends who played Rugby at Clemson this needs to be fixed.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Mar 18, 2016, 11:26 AM

Soccer geeks taking over way too much property at CU

You mean the program that has finished....

Mar 18, 2016, 11:43 AM

ranked in the top three of the national polls and played for more national championships than any other sport in Clemson history?

Yes, that one***

Mar 18, 2016, 12:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: You mean the program that has finished....

Mar 18, 2016, 12:08 PM [ in reply to You mean the program that has finished.... ]

You make a good point. And my Iptay donation for the last 40 years supports soccer. I hope that soccer fans at Clemson give also.
Also I think that Riggs has been great re purpose . No good answers up there on space. With all the property at Clemson everyone wants to be in the same place. The core campus deal seemed to be the start. I wish that the old buildings like the shoe boxes could have been torn down for that.
I have been moved all over for parking and am frustrated about that also with some of the decisions by sports that actually generate money.

But I will agree that soccer has its place but also think that it has already taken a prime spot.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic