Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FFRF Question & "Public" vs. "Private" Schools
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 301

FFRF Question & "Public" vs. "Private" Schools

May 1, 2014, 8:44 PM

I was hoping someone could help me with a question.

Given the paltry funding Clemson receives from the state, I'm certain many private schools receive as much or more government funding than Clemson does. So, can a private school be sued for a similar issue as Clemson faces given their mutual dependence on government grants for research, Pell grants for tuition, etc? In the case of increasingly aggressive demands for Christians to vacate the public square, are private schools therefore ultimately "at risk," too, unless they renounce such funding?

I apologize if this question has already been asked/answered. Has a court addressed this question somewhere? I know it SEEMS obvious that "private" schools would be immune from similar legal pressure, but it seems to me that virtually all higher education is propped up by the government, and thus that the public/private distinction is artificial at best.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FFRF Question & "Public" vs. "Private" Schools

May 1, 2014, 8:49 PM

private schools receive no public funding. The grant or aide agreement is between the borrower and the government, and not the school.
FFRF is making an issue out of a non-issue, nothing will ever come of it.

+

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I follow, but I can't help wondering how "safe" that

May 1, 2014, 8:55 PM

distinction is in the future!

Re: I follow, but I can't help wondering how "safe" that

May 1, 2014, 8:58 PM

same as it has been since the supreme court defined it in 1971.

Established the three part test for determining if an action of government violates First Amendment's separation of church and state:
1) the government action must have a secular purpose;
2) its primary purpose must not be to inhibit or to advance religion;
3) there must be no excessive entanglement between government and religion.

No where do I see where swinney's actions fall under any of these categories as a state employee.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As safe as our 21 year old drinking age, our 55 mph speed

May 1, 2014, 8:59 PM [ in reply to Re: I follow, but I can't help wondering how "safe" that ]

limits, etc. Both of those laws came about when states were given huge highway bill funding. If they played along and changed their laws, they got the money. If not, they lost it. This process has not started in earnest in education, but it will if the Dept of Education is given enough $$$.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good points, thanks all.***

May 3, 2014, 12:05 PM

Re: I guess this explains why Wofford and PC aren't at issue

May 3, 2014, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Re: FFRF Question & "Public" vs. "Private" Schools ]

for the LIFE scholarships their students receive from the state. I was thinking maybe the Clemson football program was just doing a better job spreading the Word than these private, church-affiliated schools.

Good lesson in life....

May 1, 2014, 8:51 PM

Never take someone's money if there are strings attached. Actually, never take someone's money period to be safe. It doesn't matter if it's your parents or the government, just don't do it. There is nothing more freeing than not depending on someone else for money because you pull the strings and you call the shots.

Now as paltry as the money is that the state gives to Clemson, it's still a lot. It's a small percentage of Clemson's budget, but a much larger part of SC's state budget for education. Personally, as much as tuition has been increasing, it would be nice to put the breaks on things for a few years, and raise tuition as it has been going up with less spending. That would wean Clemson from undue influence and we wouldn't be worrying about this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 301
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic