Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Jason Collins comes out
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

Jason Collins comes out

Apr 30, 2013, 10:01 AM

and while reading about it on a website yesterday the author pointed out Kerry Rhodes (NFL player) "may have been outed". I googled around and have to say: dude just needs to come clean.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When will folks realize that nobody gives a crap if they are gay?

Apr 30, 2013, 10:19 AM

Make your millions and just shut up because you are not special !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly.....

Apr 30, 2013, 10:22 AM

No one gives a crap (pun intended) if someone has skid marks on the front of their underwear.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Actually, a lot of people care.

Apr 30, 2013, 10:58 AM [ in reply to When will folks realize that nobody gives a crap if they are gay? ]

Which is why they feel the need to hide it in the first place.

If people weren't so judgmental about it, it'd be a non-story. But they are. So that's why it's a story.

The funny flip side of that... No one bashing Collins about

Apr 30, 2013, 2:20 PM

the gay thing...

But a guy gets ASKED his opinion on the situation and explains how, by the clear direction in the book that his religion is based on, he disagrees with that lifestyle choice, and everyone flames and hates him for it. But HE'S the bigot?

Bass ackwards.

Re: The funny flip side of that... No one bashing Collins about

Apr 30, 2013, 4:19 PM

It's not a lifestyle choice, just like I didn't choose to be straight. That's like saying being black is a lifestyle choice that you don't approve of.

The desire is not a choice. The decision to act on it is.

Apr 30, 2013, 5:38 PM

Just like the desire to have premarital sex is natural, but sinful according to the the guys on ESPN's religion teaches.

Apr 30, 2013, 6:38 PM [ in reply to Re: The funny flip side of that... No one bashing Collins about ]

I'll call bullcrap on that one! With all of the political, Hollywood, entertainment media and other liberal dollars trying to find a way, no real reputable scientific research has been able to prove or even link homosexuality with heredity. However the Bible is clear in its opinion of this behavior.

May 1, 2013, 8:59 AM

Are you one of those nutjobs that believes homosexuality is a disease that can be cured?

A temptation that should be controlled.***

May 1, 2013, 9:24 AM

Re: A temptation that should be controlled.***

May 1, 2013, 9:30 AM

So it's ok for straight people to give into their temptations, but gay people should not give into theirs? That makes sense and seems fair.

No

May 3, 2013, 9:16 AM

It's not OK for straight people to give into their temptations. Sex outside of marriage is an example not to mention things like parental disobedience, losing ones temper, gossiping, and arrogance. We all are tempted towards evil and we all give into it from time to time. I'm not trying to say I'm better than anybody else, because I do wrong all the time. Still it doesn't change the fact that one wrong thing some people are tempted towards is men having sex with other men.

Re: No

May 3, 2013, 9:19 AM

There's nothing wrong with sex outside of marriage. It's 2013 for crying out loud.

Actually there is...

May 3, 2013, 9:23 AM

I have done it. I was wrong.

Being born with the desire to do something doesn't make it right.

Chris Brousard isn't a bigot just a religious fundamentalist***

Apr 30, 2013, 6:59 PM [ in reply to The funny flip side of that... No one bashing Collins about ]

If by religious fundamentalist you mean...

Apr 30, 2013, 7:10 PM

has read the bible, then yes.

So what about the rest of Leviticus?

Apr 30, 2013, 9:19 PM

Or does that not count?

Old testament. Jewish law was no longer relevant

Apr 30, 2013, 9:58 PM

when the new covenant came about through Jesus living on earth. Paul in the new testament addresses homosexuality in a section about sexual immorality. so the issue is not really about leviticus. Common mistake though.

I'd be interested to hear Trevor Booker's response

Apr 30, 2013, 10:44 AM

He and Collins play on the same team. Hopefully he's mature about it.

Trevor is a team guy, bet he has his back...***

Apr 30, 2013, 4:17 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's a joke here somewhere ....***

Apr 30, 2013, 6:18 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Collins is actually a free agent now***

Apr 30, 2013, 6:59 PM [ in reply to I'd be interested to hear Trevor Booker's response ]

Re: Jason Collins comes out

Apr 30, 2013, 10:55 AM

good lowered - nobody freaking cares.

And no - we don't care that you're missing out - and it's less competition for the rest of us. :)

he just needs to go play basketball. keep this

Apr 30, 2013, 10:58 AM

crap to yourself. no one really cares

Re: he just needs to go play basketball. keep this

Apr 30, 2013, 11:06 AM

I think a lot of people care

I don't see why he should have to hide it

Apr 30, 2013, 11:15 AM [ in reply to he just needs to go play basketball. keep this ]

I'm also ready for the point in time when stuff like this isn't news and doesn't require a press conference.

Anderson Cooper never had to officially come out, it was just always kind of a given.

who says he was hiding it?***

Apr 30, 2013, 11:21 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: who says he was hiding it?***

Apr 30, 2013, 11:39 AM

Several of his former teammates have said they were surprised. If you're not hiding it, it's not likely to be a surprise.

I guess I'm wondering why he needed to make it known

Apr 30, 2013, 3:04 PM

if he wanted to tell them, fine. If he didn't want to tell them, fine. If they were close enough to him, they would've known anyway. I don't think that you can assume he was hiding it just because he wasn't shouting it from the rooftops.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I guess I'm wondering why he needed to make it known

Apr 30, 2013, 3:07 PM

Maybe by coming out publicly it will allow other gay athletes to feel comfortable in coming out themselves. I don't think nor want all gay athletes to have public coming out announcements, but if this announcement gives others the strength to come out and be themselves around their teammates and fans, then it seems like a good thing.

Re: I guess I'm wondering why he needed to make it known

Apr 30, 2013, 7:07 PM [ in reply to I guess I'm wondering why he needed to make it known ]

His twin brother did not even know until last summer so i would say he was hiding it

Well, he did.***

Apr 30, 2013, 12:21 PM [ in reply to who says he was hiding it?*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

he had a female fiance not too long ago, that's hiding it***

Apr 30, 2013, 7:00 PM [ in reply to who says he was hiding it?*** ]

should golfers who hug their wives after winning

Apr 30, 2013, 1:07 PM [ in reply to he just needs to go play basketball. keep this ]

keep that crap to themselves to?

Depends on how hot she is?

Apr 30, 2013, 1:14 PM

I don't care to see a golfer hug some cow :)

what business is it of yours, really?

Apr 30, 2013, 11:20 AM

If he wants to say he's gay, then let him say that.

None I guess

Apr 30, 2013, 11:30 AM

thanks for setting me straight. After all message boards usually frown upon posting ones opinion.

Apr 30, 2013, 1:15 PM

Really? Huh, hadn't heard anyone say a thing about it.

P.S. please turn sarcasm meters on before replying

Apr 30, 2013, 1:32 PM

I for one dont give a #### if someone is gay or not. I dont understand the big hoopla over this thing.

null

Apr 30, 2013, 1:58 PM

exactly and for those who are comparing him to Jackie Robinson, remind me again how many gays were enslaved and/or held back due to the color of their skin? gay people have been participating in pro sports forever. I for one do not care if a person is gay or straight but I seriously do not think a person's sexual orientation should be discussed in the workplace. Now his current and future teammates will be forced to answer questions about HIS sexuality.

does that apply for straight people as well?***

Apr 30, 2013, 2:00 PM

Re: does that apply for straight people as well?***

Apr 30, 2013, 2:11 PM

yes

Re: does that apply for straight people as well?***

Apr 30, 2013, 2:29 PM

I agree that the gay vs. slavery comparison is silly, but to deny that our society (maybe not you and I) had treated homosexuals poorly would be wrong. And if by coming out publicly Jason Collins will allow other gay athletes to be more comfortable being themselves in their working environment and just in their every day life, I can't see how that's a negative. Sure we've heard about it a lot in the last 24 hours, but hopefully this will lead to this becoming a normal thing and thus we won't have to hear about sexuality anymore.

Why does Kerry owe anybody an explanation?***

Apr 30, 2013, 3:08 PM

Because I said so.***

Apr 30, 2013, 6:39 PM

THIS HAS NO BUSINESS IN TIGER FOOTBALL!!!!********

Apr 30, 2013, 4:24 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

NBA .... LOL!!! Who cares about NBA?***

Apr 30, 2013, 5:47 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Kerry Rhodes was in a Lady Gaga video…..

Apr 30, 2013, 6:57 PM

so that pretty much is a big clue of who he really is. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But there are too many pics of Kerry Rhodes, that make it obvious he is gay.

Re: Kerry Rhodes was in a Lady Gaga video…..

Apr 30, 2013, 7:49 PM

And don't forget the secret handshake.

My point exactly.***

May 1, 2013, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Kerry Rhodes was in a Lady Gaga video….. ]

Fundamentalism

Apr 30, 2013, 7:16 PM

Those with a belief system should never take a stand against someone being different from themselves..but they always do. Read the bible , believe what you want to...but dont go proclaiming truth in an unknown...a belief system not shared by everyone. Just reading a book and proclaiming your belief in its doctrine doesnt make it a fact...period.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Fundamentalism

Apr 30, 2013, 8:21 PM

Those with a belief system should never take a stand against someone being different from themselves..but they always do. Read the bible , believe what you want to...but dont go proclaiming truth in an unknown...a belief system not shared by everyone. Just reading a book and proclaiming your belief in its doctrine doesnt make it a fact...period.

And your claim that it's not true doesn't make it so, either. Period.

Why is this guy's coming out such big news, anyway? He's called "courageous" for hiding his very excellent and free choice for his whole life? Where's the courage in hiding who you are if your orientation is so great? Oh, right, he wasn't looking for tolerance, he was looking for acceptance.

For crying out loud, the guy didn't cure cancer. He just admitted to the world that he likes sex with men. So? We're supposed to be proud of him because now he's told everyone? I don't get it.

This post is literally too stupid to insult.***

Apr 30, 2013, 9:21 PM

May 1, 2013, 9:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Fundamentalism ]

It's not that hard to get. He's hoping to open the door for other gay athletes to live comfortably as themselves, and not in fear of backlash, rejection, negativity, discrimination that our society has been well known to direct towards gay people.

Was that hard?

May 1, 2013, 11:44 AM

Not that hard to get? Why is it that if a person views homosexuality in a disapproving way, they should "stay out of our bedrooms!", but the homosexual lobby is constantly trying to tell us to accept what goes on in their bedrooms? It's a rhetorical question, but I'll answer it anyway: the goal is not tolerance, it's acceptance. I sure wish the enlightened among us would accept us know-nothing Neanderthals. ;)

Does anyone really care?***

Apr 30, 2013, 8:20 PM

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic