Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tithing????
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1,344

Tithing????

Sep 4, 2012, 9:58 PM

Is this a widespread christian belief or is this more denomination based? With all the talk of Perry Noble and tithing today I read up a little on it and some church's,
Perry Noble's included, say that you should tithe 10% of your income to the church. 10% sounds a little steep and a little crazy to me especially in our given economic situation. I read where southern baptist preacher Mac Brunson said that our current economic troubles are a result of God punishing our country because of non-tithing Christians. And, I also watched a video where Noble's said that and I quote " Maybe there would be less homosexuality in the world today if there were less greedy Christians who actually cared enough to tithe and spread the gospel." These comments just seem twisted to me and seems that they are playing on people's emotions on a topic to get them to give more money to their church.

Just curious how common this practice is. I grew up Methodist and while the offering plate was passed around there was never this kind of talk.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tithe is a biblical term meaning tenth. So yes, the bible

Sep 4, 2012, 10:01 PM

Says 10% of what you earn goes to God.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not biblical, just Middle English ...

Sep 4, 2012, 10:05 PM

... Bibles were written in Middle English and the most common example of tithing is to give money to a church, so in that sense it could be called "biblical".

But it simply means 1/10.

Re: Not biblical, just Middle English ...

Sep 4, 2012, 10:40 PM

Your post is completely false. The terminology rendered tithe or tenth in English comes from Hebrew a couple thousand years before middle English.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not biblical, just Middle English ...

Sep 5, 2012, 8:31 AM

Yeah, I guess the dictionaries are wrong about the origins of a word, the word is Middle English, the idea itself is probably not.

The idea of giving 1/10th is from the Old Testament, but I always felt that rather than 1/10th of your salary, it meant 1/10th of what you produce to help foster a community, rather than financially support preachers. There are plenty of ways to give 1/10th of yourself to the church community that don't include your money. Regardless, it is to go to the church, and the church community, not to enrich those who preach the bible.

tithe (t)
n.
a. A tenth part of one's annual income contributed voluntarily or due as a tax, especially for the support of the clergy or church.
b. The institution or obligation of paying tithes.
2. A tax or assessment of one tenth.
a. A tenth part.
b. A very small part.
v. tithed, tith·ing, tithes
v.tr.
1. To contribute or pay a tenth part of (one's annual income).
2. To levy a tithe on.
v.intr.
To pay a tithe.
[Middle English, from Old English totha; see dek in Indo-European roots.]
titha·ble (t-bl) adj.
tither n.
Word History: A tithe is a tenth, etymologically speaking; in fact, tithe is the old ordinal numeral in English. Sound changes in the prehistory of English are responsible for its looking so different from the word ten. Tithe goes back to a prehistoric West Germanic form *tehuntha-, formed from the cardinal numeral *tehun, "ten," and the same ordinal suffix that survives in Modern English as -th. The n disappeared before the th in the West Germanic dialect area that gave rise to English, and eventually yielded the Old English form tothe, "tenth," still not too different from the cardinal numeral ten. But over time, as the former became tithe and the latter ten, and as tithe developed the specialized meaning "a tenth part paid as a tax," it grew harder to perceive a relationship between the two. The result was that speakers of English created a new word for the ordinal, tenth, built with the cardinal numeral ten on the pattern of the other regularly-formed ordinal numerals like sixth or seventh.

If you're going to put this under football

Sep 4, 2012, 10:07 PM

At least ask if the price of the tickets hurts your ability to tithe or something
Come on now tie it in someway.

Re: If you're going to put this under football

Sep 4, 2012, 10:11 PM

> At least ask if the price of the tickets hurts your
> ability to tithe or something
> Come on now tie it in someway.

oops...sorry! Didn't mean to post this on football board.

Which is the appropriate board in which to post

Sep 4, 2012, 10:40 PM

this topic? Just askin'.

Probably the one with religion in the title?

Sep 4, 2012, 10:43 PM

Just guessing

Well.... you made me look and I didn't

Sep 4, 2012, 10:46 PM

find that one on here, so I'm still confused.

Front Page » TigerNet Forums » General Boards » Politics & Religion

Sep 4, 2012, 10:59 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Tithing is first mentioned in Genesis 14:20

Sep 4, 2012, 10:12 PM

when Abram tithes to the priest of the Most High God Melchizedek. Jacob tithes in Genesis 28:20. It becomes part of the Mosaic Law to the Jews. It has been God's standard for initial giving for most of the bible. And since God says, I am the Lord, I do not change," this principal of giving would seem to apply today as well. Since all we have is from God, He asks for a tenth in return, to begin with.

Re: Tithing is first mentioned in Genesis 14:20

Sep 4, 2012, 10:30 PM

> when Abram tithes to the priest of the Most High God
> Melchizedek. Jacob tithes in Genesis 28:20. It
> becomes part of the Mosaic Law to the Jews. It has
> been God's standard for initial giving for most of
> the bible. And since God says, I am the Lord, I do
> not change," this principal of giving would seem to
> apply today as well. Since all we have is from God,
> He asks for a tenth in return, to begin with.

It's not that I see giving money to the church a bad thing if that's what you believe. It's the comments from these church leaders that I find more disgusting and more of a horrible way to get people to give. Instead of saying crazy things why can't they talk about the good the church will do with the money they receive?

any preacher or church that is focused on money is not

Sep 4, 2012, 10:45 PM

focused on God. Preaching on stewardship is necessary, but should not be the main thing. You are correct however when you say far to many seem obsessed with money over more important things. I believe scripture teaches the tithe then whatever else we can give. Giving should be a sacrifice to honor the sacrifice Christ made for us. But money hungry prosperity preachers have been around forever. Anyone who tell someone to "sow there seed' and send money is teaching a false doctrine. The only seed sown in the bible is the word of God

The 10th is just a starting point! You cannot out give GOD***

Sep 4, 2012, 10:37 PM

I give 35% to Sallie Mae

Sep 4, 2012, 10:38 PM

Aint no one getting anymore.

Re: I give 35% to Sallie Mae

Sep 4, 2012, 10:46 PM

tithing is Old Testament law to support the Levitical priests. The poor did not tithe, thus Jesus and His desciples did not tithe. No mention of them tithing, just paying tax.
New Testament hardly mentions tithing due to no longer a need for Levitical priests. We have all become priests with one High Priest.

Just saying

I question Noble.

Sep 4, 2012, 10:49 PM

Don't like him and def don't trust him. I do believe the players can be saved at his church because that is the Holy Spirit working, not Noble. Plus, think about how many undesireables God has chosen to accomplish His will on earth. When these people advance the Kingdom, it emphasizes the weakness of man, that only God is worthy of praise and glory.

I don't usually 'get preachy' but since we now get updates on players getting saved and baptisms I thought it ok.

Re: I question Noble.

Sep 4, 2012, 10:55 PM

I think Noble is fine. However, when it comes to what WE do and how good WE are then it is wrong. It is about what was done 2000 years ago when we did not deserve it. Even good men and , yes, preachers lose sight of this fact.

if that's true, then the Methodists have really fallen far

Sep 4, 2012, 11:28 PM

Tithing is recognized as a duty in every Christian denomination.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Got to build those Mega Churchs

Sep 4, 2012, 11:56 PM

You know, because it's important to have a jumbo tron, it's in the bible, look it up.

does that mean no church should have one?

Sep 5, 2012, 10:57 AM

I might agree that it's garish, but I don't think it's sacrilegious. Churches can do any number of things with the money offered, and a house of worship that is able to accomodate as many people as possible seems like an awfully important thing to do.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Im not a big church fan

Sep 5, 2012, 10:59 AM

but I do understand how dumb it is to be a christian and think church growth is bad

Mormons are HUGE on tithing

Sep 5, 2012, 1:57 AM

Lot's of speculation on Mitt is that's why he won't
release his tax returns

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Corporations are people. So is Soylent Green.

Nice tie-back.

Sep 5, 2012, 11:13 AM

Good job keeping on message.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1,344
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic