Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Play Calling?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Play Calling?

Oct 21, 2013, 10:07 AM

Does anyone think that the offensive coaches, and by extension the team, panic when we get down quickly and early like we did? By that I mean start calling plays like it's midway through the 4th qtr and we're down by 14-17 not still the 1st? Not that we would have won that game, but mentality on the sideline and in play calling make a difference.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Play Calling?

Oct 21, 2013, 10:08 AM

It's been an issue for several years.

Why run the ball for 6 yards per carry when you can heave it into triple coverage on 3rd and 4?

Oct 21, 2013, 10:12 AM

Exactly - Coot game last year another prime example. And FSU last year after we got behind. And I'm sure there are more if I cared to think about it anymore.

Oct 21, 2013, 10:14 AM

We almost got our behind whooped by NC State last year, too by getting cute and not running the ball when it was working.

Luckily, they were so terrible that it didn't matter.

Tajh was ineffective Saturday night, why not substitute? A

Oct 21, 2013, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Play Calling? ]

few games ago, the right tackle was ineffective and there was a substitution made. We have an able backup. If the starter is ineffective and making poor decisions that are affecting the outcome of the game, why not make a move? We saw the same thing with Kyle Parker.

Yes. And the first thing to go are the quick hitches & draws

Oct 21, 2013, 10:11 AM

that worked well in the 1st qtr against both SCAR and FSU. They open up the run game, and thus the downfield passing game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Totally agree. We should have been throwing the short

Oct 21, 2013, 11:58 AM

routes and flats until they were forced to press, then the intermediate and longs have a chance. Do it till they stop it. +1.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We went into panic mode 3 minutes into the first qtr

Oct 21, 2013, 10:16 AM

and never recovered. That's why I'm convinced that fumble on the first play changed everything.

Just like Bama 08 and USuC 09.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

THIS...it was as if Morris chucked 1/2 of the playbook...

Oct 21, 2013, 10:17 AM

...after the 1st play.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

I agree. It seemed to take the wind out of us, espescially

Oct 21, 2013, 10:24 AM [ in reply to We went into panic mode 3 minutes into the first qtr ]

after such a good gain on the play. We had that vital 1st first down to get the drive going, but the fumble killed us. I believe we would've taken it down the field on the opening drive which certainly would've changed the complexion of the game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree completely - all of the sudden in the first half....

Oct 21, 2013, 10:18 AM

when we got behind we started playing some kind of "rushed" game instead of playing the offense we normally play. I especially thought after we scored our first TD the offense was going to start to click. Instead, we looking panicky the next time we had the ball - totally wasted the intercepted pass.

Everyone looked to be on a different page like they had no idea what they were supposed to do.

Decisions on the field....

Oct 21, 2013, 10:23 AM

I think that sometimes Boyd gets into this mentality that he has to hit a home run every pass, or makes up his mind before the play starts who he is going to throw to reguardless how the coverage is.
Have heard there are off-field issues whith his mom being very sick.I donno, but seems like his head isn't on right.
Maybe the coaching staff are granting too many interviews? If so, shouldn't be a problem now....

I find it pretty tough to second guess CCM.

Oct 21, 2013, 10:20 AM

Before this game, most of us were worried about losing him to a HC position somewhere. We didn't execute and turned the ball over. It doesn't matter what play he called, we were not executing. I understand what your saying and agree to an extent, but CCM has forgotten more about football than any of us have ever known. No disrespect to anyone on this board because many of us have a good understanding of the game. I'm just saying that none of us are making $1.3M a year to call our plays.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I find it pretty tough to second guess CCM.

Oct 21, 2013, 10:25 AM

I agree. No matter what the play, the team has to exicute. Not saying it's all the players fault, but I would hate for my paycheck to be determined by the performance of a bunch of 18-22 year-old guys.

Exacly!***

Oct 21, 2013, 10:27 AM

Re: I find it pretty tough to second guess CCM.

Oct 21, 2013, 11:53 AM [ in reply to I find it pretty tough to second guess CCM. ]

Agreed. The execution has been off the last two games. We aren't protecting the ball. Bryant can't catch a cold. Receivers are going one way, Tajh is throwing the other. We have made a living this year with dink and dunk plays to set up the big bombs. We got off of our game plan Saturday, and tried to force things all night.

Everything you said is true.

Oct 21, 2013, 12:01 PM [ in reply to I find it pretty tough to second guess CCM. ]

I'd still point out that CM has only been coaching against D1 coaches a few short years. Both he and Dabo are still 'becoming.'

That's not to second guess either for I think they are wonderful to have but we have to show them the patients. I'm hoping they learn from this and we all move on quickly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't say that but I can say...

Oct 21, 2013, 11:57 AM

I think our offense got pass happy when things got tough.

I think our defense was overmatched so we failed on both sides of the ball.

I'm not sure if panic was the problem but I think Chad has some maturing to do, if that's what you're getting at.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic