Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I don’t understand those of you that think the season should be cancelled
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

I don’t understand those of you that think the season should be cancelled

Aug 8, 2020, 12:15 PM

As well as in person school. What do you expect everyone to do? Stay home and never go out until there’s a vaccine? Chances are majority of people are going to get the virus no matter what. And most wont even get sick from it. So why stop everything. Kids are still gonna be kids and not stay home. Teachers and staff will still go to grocery stores and public places and likely get it since it’s “so contagious”. Why make everything even worse by shutting down our economy and businesses. What’s the difference in having covid breakouts at schools that are shown all over the news, and the same people getting it privately by “staying home” and no one ever knowing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thats the thing

Aug 8, 2020, 12:43 PM

if we knew a vaccine was near id be for canceling ..but heck they may never be a vaccine.

Re: thats the thing

Aug 8, 2020, 1:59 PM

Astrazeneca's vaccine candidate has looked promising in Phase 3 trials and Oxford believes it could have a form of regulatory approval by mid-september.

Re: thats the thing

Aug 9, 2020, 9:32 AM [ in reply to thats the thing ]

I don't understand your logic - if a vaccine is in our near future - cancel the season ? The vaccine being available soon does nothing to mitigate the dangers involved with playing the season. And cancelling THIS season has nothing to do with next season - the negative effects of which MIGHT be mitigated by an effective vaccine.

Re: I don’t understand those of you that think the season should be cancelled

Aug 8, 2020, 12:50 PM

You can always tell who is getting paid in full to sit at home on their couch. Cut off their paychecks and watch their opinions change. They have no problem with cops, doctors, nurses, firemen,, power comoany, cable company, and nearly all retail employees working so their life of getting paid to sit on their couch can continue indefinitely. You see this is actually a great little six month (and counting) semi vacation for them. They don't want football because football may mean their current reality is about to change. If guys can play football, of all things, they can certainly be forced to teach a class or drive to wherever else they work. They just pretend to be scared to death for cover, or because they're morons since every other group listed above (and many others) has successfully worked in public this entire time without any major issues.

Aug 8, 2020, 12:58 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head. It is easy fro those who do not have to work or are being paid to work at home to push for not opening up, but there are those whose work depends on getting out of the house.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 8, 2020, 1:06 PM

One thing for sure you cancel sports at schools, you better continue viral learning and no on campus students. Doing the opposite would show the double standard. You can pack dorms and lecture halls but you can't have football?!?

Aug 9, 2020, 9:34 AM

nctigs,

What about the opposite ? I think there is more pressure to play football, despite not having classes in person.

Aug 9, 2020, 11:20 PM [ in reply to Re: I don’t understand those of you that think the season should be cancelled ]

Wow, this is so backwards that I’m not sure where to begin. This is my first semester at Clemson. I’ve worked incredibly hard to be here, in the private sector and more recently in the classroom. Imagine paying out of state tuition and getting to do online orientation, online advising, online classes for at least the first month all the while the football team is on campus. I love Clemson athletics, I’ve been a tiger fan for about 30 years, but if the students can’t learn on campus then there shouldn’t be extracurricular events happening on campus either.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s amazing how many people here want football at all costs.

Aug 9, 2020, 11:36 PM

They prioritize it over the university, and even the health of players, coaches, and staff.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: It’s amazing how many people here want football at all costs.

Aug 9, 2020, 11:51 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I want football too, but Clemson is a university first and foremost.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 8, 2020, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Re: I don’t understand those of you that think the season should be cancelled ]

You are an “enlightened one”. See if you can pass your intelligence on to others!

Aug 8, 2020, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Re: I don’t understand those of you that think the season should be cancelled ]

It would help if they would stop politicians’ paychecks when they order shutdowns. They say “we’re all in this together,” well, let them experience the impact of their decisions.

But, of course, the Elite are always exempt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

politicians don't rely on their silly government paychecks***

Aug 9, 2020, 3:33 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Aug 8, 2020, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Re: I don’t understand those of you that think the season should be cancelled ]

Yep.

Aug 8, 2020, 1:37 PM [ in reply to Re: I don’t understand those of you that think the season should be cancelled ]

I disagree on only 1 point. The ones at home on the couch do seem to have a problem with cops working.

Okay, so the season is played as usual.

Aug 8, 2020, 1:19 PM

Let’s assume that there are many thousands of new COVID cases and hundreds if not thousands of new deaths as a result. Are you good with that?

If not, do you have a threshold of new cases/deaths from having a football season that would justify canceling it in your mind?

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Okay, so the season is played as usual.

Aug 8, 2020, 2:01 PM

So Judge, why are you “OK” with 50,000+ deaths per year from influenza? Wouldn’t the humanitarian thing to do be shut down the country every fall to minimize flu deaths? Why single out COVID deaths as somehow “special?” Every life is precious. But life goes on. The truth is, we’ve allowed a liberal media with a political agenda to traumatize us. It’s time to recognize COVID is here to stay. We should do our best to practice social distancing and excellent hygiene, and get back to living. Those with compromised immunity need to take extreme precautions, which may include extended isolation. That’s unfortunate but you cannot destroy the worlds largest economy because some of our citizens are vulnerable. And before labeling me “insensitive,” I am 67 years old and I currently have COVID 19. It’s not fun, for sure. But I am managing and am looking forward to another National Championship for our Tigers. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t think this is comparable to the flu.

Aug 9, 2020, 10:01 AM

The contagiousness of COVID, the complications due to COVID, and the death rate from COVID are all more significant than the flu.

I’m sorry you have COVID, and pray that you feel better soon and get it behind you.

This is ridiculous hyperbole...

Aug 8, 2020, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Okay, so the season is played as usual. ]

Hundreds or thousands of deaths? Are we talking about the same disease?

I didn't see any headline saying smallpox was back.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is entirely possible that a football season could generate

Aug 9, 2020, 10:05 AM

thousands of deaths from COVID. Hundreds of people on one team x hundreds of teams, plus reporters, broadcast teams, travel, etc., and the possibility is absolutely there.

Of course it might not be that bad, but my point stands. Do you have a cutoff at which point you would want to cancel the season?

Re: It is entirely possible that a football season could generate

Aug 9, 2020, 1:04 PM

I hope they have a season. We could all use a distraction from the media and ridiculousness that is American politics in 2020.

Unfortunately, I don’t see how they can have a season if they have any regard for players safety. Most schools saying in person class not OK for students but they are trying to say physical competition is safe for student- athletes. I don’t see that sticking. Opens ncaa and schools up for too much liability if things go sideways.

I think it’s obvious the only reason the season hasn’t been canceled is because of money. If it was about student-athletes safety it’s a no brainer for any administration.

Go tigers

Re: It is entirely possible that a football season could generate

Aug 9, 2020, 3:40 PM [ in reply to It is entirely possible that a football season could generate ]

If players/staff members start going to the hospital left and right they should cancel the season but not just from positive test results. Who know if the results are accurate and even if they are if people are asymptomatic it doesn't really mean much if you have it.

Re: Okay, so the season is played as usual.

Aug 9, 2020, 11:25 PM [ in reply to Okay, so the season is played as usual. ]

Since you’re playing hypotheticals, are you ok with cancelling football and the infections don’t decrease but stay the same way had we had a season? Would you still stand in front of T Lawrence’s final year and tell him it was worth it?

Yes, I’m okay canceling the season.

Aug 9, 2020, 11:38 PM

In fact, I posted several weeks ago that Clemson should announce it is canceling. It isn’t worth the safety risk or the PR backlash.

Aug 8, 2020, 1:24 PM

Turn it. Why is in person football so important? Tens of millions of people watch games on television and have never been to a game.

Aug 8, 2020, 1:36 PM

I can’t believe what I read on tnet at times!

Aug 8, 2020, 1:57 PM

I'm only saying that I would be just fine if it was canceled. I want college FB, just not if there is a real risk of someones life!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This guy's xyz theory suggests it probably shouldn't be

Aug 8, 2020, 2:11 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoTGl2mggMo

Aug 9, 2020, 3:07 PM

not popular opinion but yea....2020 is cancelled....if it was this time next year no thing would have to be back to basic normal whatever that will be....its about preserving life....one year off isnt gonna kill you....my dad spent a year in korea picking up wounded bodies....want to trade....treatments will be better in a year....some sort of vaccine will be around which if nothing else will lessen the blow if you get it.....i dont believe will have college football....maybe spring....

Aug 9, 2020, 3:42 PM

I am not seeing people dying in the MLB right now. Not sure how not playing is preserving life.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic