Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm laughing that people still question our Recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

I'm laughing that people still question our Recruiting

Aug 24, 2017, 4:42 PM

we bring in elite talent...we also bring in Diamonds in the Rough and train them up. Grady Jarrett and Vic Beasley come to mind.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm laughing that people still question our Recruiting

Aug 24, 2017, 4:44 PM

Who are these people you speak of , besides the one post on the boards today?

I don't think we're exactly hurting recruiting-wise

Aug 24, 2017, 5:00 PM

But I would question why it seems like we're among the few teams that take such small classes so frequently. I think that can hurt us down the line, especially now that we're performing so well and giving underclassmen more prominence. If we have too much unforeseen attrition, you're not just going to be able to replace everybody with freshmen the very next year.

That said, we're not really reliant on those diamond in the rough guys anymore. We may end up with 4-5 of the best players in the country in this class, plus a bunch of guys ranked in the top 200 players.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think we're exactly hurting recruiting-wise

Aug 24, 2017, 5:34 PM

> But I would question why it seems like we're among
> the few teams that take such small classes so
> frequently. I think that can hurt us down the line,
> especially now that we're performing so well and
> giving underclassmen more prominence. If we have too
> much unforeseen attrition, you're not just going to
> be able to replace everybody with freshmen the very
> next year.
>
> That said, we're not really reliant on those diamond
> in the rough guys anymore. We may end up with 4-5 of
> the best players in the country in this class, plus a
> bunch of guys ranked in the top 200 players.

I disagree with almost all of this statement.

The biggest reason why we have such small classes is because we have so little attrition. If you take a look even down I-26 you'll see the Chickens are bringing in something like 35 new players. Wrap your head around that - 35! Some are freshmen, some are transfers...but whatever, they had to throw old players out at a wondrous rate to bring in that many. That kills...everything. Team chemistry. Trust in the process, trust in the staff. Your grad rates. It's a veritable mob of hostile strangers, for the most part, who are just after your job. And you know you'll get thrown out with the trash if you don't contribute, and right away. How is that in any way healthy?

We are indeed reliant on those "diamond in the rough" players. For every 5-star on the roster who turned out we have another guy who was a project or was developed over time. Look across the opening-day projected starters and I'll show you all manner of 3-stars, or 4-stars who took 2-3 years to develop. I'll show you a 5-star WR in Deon Cain...and right next to him is a walk-on in Hunter Renfrow. Running back? Feaster was a 4-star. CJ Fuller and Travis Etienne - who is a monster, by the way - were 3's. Tight end? Milan Richard was a 4-star. DJ Greenlee was a 2-star, Shadell Bell a 3 - you'll see all three guys this year.

D-line? It's loaded for bear with 4/5-star guys, granted. But there's still room on it for guys like Jabril Robinson - a low-end 3-star - to make his mark. We're probably starting a 5-star at one LB slot in Tre Lamar, alongside a local Belton product in former 3-star Kendall Joseph...and our strongside LB (and maybe the best player on the D per many this year) is Dorian O'Daniel, who was a 4-star per most services, though it really took him until this year to really start playing to his vast potential.

We're starting two former 3-stars at safety in Van Smith and Tanner Muse. We could also start with two more 3-stars (Carter and Edmonds) at CB if the 4-star kids like Trayvon Mullen, Mark Fields, and K'Von Wallace don't beat them out.

We got some 5-star monsters in this 2018 recruiting class. We may also have to grab some "diamonds in the rough", as some call them. It doesn't matter. They'll turn out, if history is any indicator. They'll get developed. They'll get coached up, they'll get the very best in nutrition and access to an insanely modern weightroom, they'll get access to the best film rooms and cutup boards young players can have.

And most importantly, they won't get run off if even it takes them a couple years to develop. If the talent's there, Dabo will get it out of them.

Teams across the country waste and marginalize a tremendous amount of talent every year because they're impatient. Clemson does not. Which is why we just won a national title even averaging the 13th overall recruiting class in the country over the last five years.

+1 You knocked it out of the park again.

Aug 24, 2017, 5:52 PM

If I could give more than one TU at a time I would do it in this instance.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dis poast needs moar pernts

Aug 24, 2017, 7:24 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't think we're exactly hurting recruiting-wise ]

Good post

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

REKTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Aug 25, 2017, 8:14 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't think we're exactly hurting recruiting-wise ]

C'mon, Quozzel...

Aug 25, 2017, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't think we're exactly hurting recruiting-wise ]

Don't go messing up his opinions with facts. ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Aug 25, 2017, 8:26 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't think we're exactly hurting recruiting-wise ]

+1 No one could have said it better. This is Clemson. We truly evaluate and develop talent. If you commit to Clemson, chances are you high that you develop into a great player, help create a culture of competition, comraderie and work ethic as well as provide great depth. Most importantly you will graduate with a degree and leave Clemson best prepared for your next chapter in life. That's why we are not like the others, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HE HAS A FAMILY, QUOZZEL***

Aug 25, 2017, 8:40 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't think we're exactly hurting recruiting-wise ]

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2017, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't think we're exactly hurting recruiting-wise ]

Aug 24, 2017, 5:46 PM [ in reply to I don't think we're exactly hurting recruiting-wise ]

You can only have 85 on scolly at a time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo likes to hand out 4 to 6 schollies to walk-ons

Aug 24, 2017, 5:52 PM [ in reply to I don't think we're exactly hurting recruiting-wise ]

and while we do have attrition to the NFL we also have a lot of legacy players that will stay all 4 years helping the team with depth but never really starting.

You mean Cootpeople? There's a difference.***

Aug 24, 2017, 5:39 PM

Re: I'm laughing that people still question our Recruiting

Aug 24, 2017, 5:47 PM

Win and national title, and I trust you. That's the way I roll. So I trust this staff.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic