Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Joyner at USux. It’s obvious he made a big mistake going
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Joyner at USux. It’s obvious he made a big mistake going

Aug 20, 2019, 6:37 PM

there. He wanted to play QB and they said he could. We wanted him but were up front from the beginning telling him he would not be a QB at Clemson. I really admire Dabo and his staff for their honesty, knowing we would probably lose him. My question is this, I know Dabo is very anti accepting transfers, but, if Joyner approached us and said he wanted to transfer and would be willing to play another position, do you think we would take him? My answer is that although we would love to have him, Dabo would say no.

Your thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Joyner at USux. It’s obvious he made a big mistake going

Aug 20, 2019, 6:47 PM

I think it would depend on variables, depth at the position, incoming recruits, probably not but never say never, who'da thunk we would have to ask Renfrow to sit in QB meetings last season for a short time?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2019, 6:56 PM

Isn't he a SC guy, if so I think that Dabo would give him a butt hurting speech, and most likely let him join the team, but he would have to work his butt of before he ever saw the field in a game!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2019, 7:02 PM

I feel bad for him. I watched his recruitment closely when he was a potential tiger and understood his dream to play QB. Such a shame it didn't pan out for him. I had a bad feeling this would happen because Hillsinki is supposed to be pretty good.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^I'm with you...

Aug 20, 2019, 7:12 PM

I feel bad for him. High schools are chock full of QB's who look great in HS, but are really best suited for FCS or lower. It was relatively easy for Clemson to tell him QB wouldn't happen, but your athleticism is legit and can help in 'Ring Season'. Sadly, Muss wasn't of the same mindset...shame on him.

Whether Dabo would accept him...he'd probably put it before the team leadership. There aren't enough data points for me to question any decision Dabo & Staff make, so I'll go with them, gladly. The 'Jewelry Shop' and 'Trophy Case' validate their knowledge!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^I'm with you...

Aug 20, 2019, 8:51 PM

I remember his recruitment fairly well too. He was respected for his athleticism, but his desire to play QB led him to scar. I’m afraid they sold him a bill of goods just to steal what probably would have been a contributor to a NC winning Clemson program. Sadly, integrity knows no bounds for some in the business of collegiate sports. Kids me ######... and all that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^I'm with you...

Aug 21, 2019, 8:14 AM

It's like this, as a HC Dabo has brought some of the best HS QBs to Clemson that could/can play for the top 10 college programs in the country, even some of our Backup QBs. And when Dabo told Joyne­r he couldn't bring him to Clemson as a D-1 QB, somebody in the kids life that loves or actually cares about him should have set him down and explained to him that Dabo/staff was honest with about his abilities as a college QB, and to try and get to Clemson in whatever position our coaches thought he would better serve in and better help his position at advancing his career in FB if that is what he wanted. But now he has had to learn that the bull chitters in the business will say anything to sign a player under totally false pretences, and he ends up learning that from a loser program like usuc that had no intentions of ever using him as a QB. And yes I feel for the kid bc he was sold a dirty bill of goods by one of the dirtiest salesman in Muschamp just to improve his recruiting position with a 4 star athlete that he knew would never be more than a backup if that, and that's all it was to the Joyner recruitment. I'm sure Muschamp will encourage Joyner to exercise his right to the transfer portal before he pulls his scholarship!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2019, 7:30 PM

I think he would make either a great DB or a slot guy. I would sure take him.

if he wanted to play QB shoulda gone to Wofford...

Aug 20, 2019, 8:41 PM

if he wants to play past college shoulda listened to the guys that get them there...

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Joyner at moUSC...

Aug 20, 2019, 9:01 PM

Dabo has made it clear that he hates the portal. I don't think he would take anyone from it. Why bring in someone else's problem.
Just sayin...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Aug 21, 2019, 8:25 AM

Hate is a pretty strong word. But I understand it is directed to the portal situation, and Coach does not like that at all. Mainly because so many kids get bad advice. However, on the transfer side of it. He never said no he just prefers to grow up his program from within and not splash it with "outsiders"

Considering the Belk and Feaster situations....would Dabo take Joyner. If he did it would have nothing to do with Belk and Feaster. Dabo would make a decision based on personal situation for Joyner and the team and his program. We can never guess at an outcome of that.

In my opinion he would say, No, because that is in the rear view mirror. Besides I am sure there is some other player just as good or better and athletic that we are recruiting to join the program.

I like that he has a consistent process that mostly keeps the program standards high athletically and ethically.

Aug 21, 2019, 8:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Joyner at moUSC... ]

I don't think that bc a kid has a dream of playing QB at a D-1 college program makes him a problem. I think it makes him a victim of false promises by a lying HC at a loser program badly needing his recruiting ratings bolstered to help support that he's a good recruiter that could help save his employment for a couple more years. Joyner was a 4 star recruit that do help recruiting ratings!!!

Joyner should transfer to Clemson and help win NATTYS

Aug 20, 2019, 9:02 PM

He could get a few INTs from Hilinski.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t think Dabo would take him

Aug 20, 2019, 9:23 PM

As he has publicly stated many times he would prefer getting high school players. There’s also nothing I’ve seen indicating Joyner is actually switching positions or was asked to by the staff, just that he was listed 3rd on the depth chart.

He was always a raw product as a QB so it makes sense that Hilinski might have jumped him. But the spot on the depth chart this year is largely meaningless since bINTley is going to play basically every snap. With another year of development, there’s the possibility that he competes for the starting job after this season and wins it. Not saying that’s likely but let’s be careful saying it’s obvious he made a big mistake. His dream is to play QB and right now that is still possible, albeit less likely.

Re: I don’t think Dabo would take him

Aug 21, 2019, 8:29 AM

I can't personally speak for Dabo, but I believe that his culture is to build the man and the player from the ground up. That pretty much precludes taking transfers, especially former Coots. Too much of hurdle to overcome.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2019, 9:24 PM

No way Dabo takes him on principle and no way he takes him on need. I do think he will enter the portal and after asking Dabo, he will settle for someplace else.

Plenty of teams will need him as a QB, but it's not in his interest. He'll be making the same prideful mistake Kelly B. made.

Aug 21, 2019, 8:37 AM

Maybe not a mistake transferring to a school that needs and would use him bc he still has his full college career ahead of him, and not just one FB season as KB....

I don't think he's even remotely comparable to Bryant

Aug 21, 2019, 8:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Joyner at USux. It’s obvious he made a big mistake going ]

Bryant was good enough to win the starting QB job at Clemson for a year and change and also good enough to transfer and immediately win the job at a mid-level P5 program. Joyner can't crack 2nd string at Carolina - he's not in KB's league as a QB.

Also, what mistake did Bryant make? Aside from Missouri getting put on probation right after he transferred it seems things have worked out well for him. He's going to get his shot this year - a shot he wouldn't have gotten at Clemson.

Re: I don't think he's even remotely comparable to Bryant

Aug 21, 2019, 9:05 AM

Where was KB in his 1st year at Clemson?

I can't really blame the kid for chasing his dream.

Aug 21, 2019, 8:55 AM

I don't know what the USC staff told him - maybe they were deceptive with him and maybe they weren't - but as far as i know they only told him that they would give him a shot at QB and they did do that. It will be interesting to see what he does now. He could move down to FCS and probably play QB somewhere, he could stay at USC and position change, or he could try to transfer to a bigger school and position change. I'm not sure he will have the same options he had coming out of HS though. Pretty much all of the top dogs offered him as an athlete and he had his pick of Clemson, Bama, Georgia, etc if he had been willing to move to safety, but I'm not sure those programs are going to take him now as a transfer.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic