Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I don't think SMU is the "death job" some of you think
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

I don't think SMU is the "death job" some of you think

Nov 28, 2014, 11:15 AM

You may be underselling HS football in Texas. Chad could win 10 games with the talent that the Power 5 Texas schools pick over and don't offer.

That's his best ticket to a big job, especially the TAMU, TX, Baylor, etc... should they ever come open.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: I don't think SMU is the "death job" some of you think

Nov 28, 2014, 11:22 AM

I am the opposite...

I think it is a "death job".

24 years since the reinstatement of this programs eligibility and they have posted 2 winning season, losing 5-6 games in those season...You dont think they are getting those players that aren't being offered by TCU, TTU, Texas, OU, and Baylor? LIke I mentioned earlier, its like Wofford or Furman having to compete with Clemson and USC in regards to recruiting...

Message was edited by: jsebe10®

Message was edited by: jsebe10®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

ok***

Nov 28, 2014, 11:26 AM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

What happened when Ellis Johnson went to S. Miss?

Nov 28, 2014, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't think SMU is the "death job" some of you think ]

and lost every one of his games the next year?

He was hired by Auburn and ended up coaching in the National Championship game the following year.

Nobody knows what the future holds.

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Re: What happened when Ellis Johnson went to S. Miss?

Nov 28, 2014, 11:44 AM

Did the same thing at the Citadel too...lol

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Nov 28, 2014, 11:26 AM

I think you are underselling just how much people do not care about that program. As far as I know SMU has been in Texas for their existence and that hasn't done them a bit of good. It is a death job for him. He better have some recruiting skills to out compete the schools you just listed. Last I checked he didn't recruit that much (just qbs and random texas products).

Does GT being in the Atlanta area help them get recruits. No. The world of college football is different. Not every kid stays in state. People talk about a global economy well we have that in college football now as well. Well at least regional.

Will he get a couple of prospects to play for him. Yes. In order to compete though you have to develop full depth charts. Not a chance in hell that SMU will do that. While they may have big wallets they have no support from the community or the City of Dallas.

It is an end of the road job and has been that for almost its entire existence.

so you don't think a guy that can post a top 15

Nov 28, 2014, 11:29 AM

offense in his one year, while using kids that OU and OSU picked over, can win with an AAC team in Texas?

He'll need to do a good job filling out his staff and recruiting, but he can absolutely win there

haha***

Nov 28, 2014, 11:31 AM

Who knows if he goes or not, but you can look at

Nov 28, 2014, 11:34 AM

Baylor for proof that "dead end programs" can win in TX.

Would he? I don't know.

Can he? Absolutely

Re: Who knows if he goes or not, but you can look at

Nov 28, 2014, 11:43 AM

Baylor has always had success recruiting and putting players in the league...such as guys like Matt Bryant, Josh Gordon, RG3, Jon Meeks, Terrance Williams, etc...

This program has been in the sh*tter for over 2 decades...it seriously needs to be discontinued

have you looked at Baylors history pre Art Briles?

Nov 28, 2014, 11:45 AM

and did you just throw RGIII in your argument for Baylor's historical success???

Re: have you looked at Baylors history pre Art Briles?

Nov 28, 2014, 11:51 AM

Um..yea?

He won a fckn Heisman...he wasnt even offered by any other school in Texas other than Baylor....

Do we consider Sammy or Spiller as historical figures of success for us?

You can't compare Baylor w/ RGIII to what Morris

Nov 28, 2014, 11:54 AM

would take over at SMU.

Briles took Baylor to that point. That would be what Morris has to build. RGIII is part of the "successful era" at Baylor.

Re: have you looked at Baylors history pre Art Briles?

Nov 28, 2014, 11:55 AM [ in reply to have you looked at Baylors history pre Art Briles? ]

Josh Gordon too...who I think is in like his 3rd year in the league.

Re: so you don't think a guy that can post a top 15

Nov 28, 2014, 11:46 AM [ in reply to so you don't think a guy that can post a top 15 ]

I think you are overselling what is being passed over. That is what I think. If OU and OSU don't take them then Baylor, Texas, Texas Tech, or just about anyone else will get them over Baylor

Nov 28, 2014, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't think SMU is the "death job" some of you think ]

"Does GT being in the Atlanta area help them get recruits. No."

Does GT being an engineering school with very tough admissions and academic standards contribute to their difficulty in getting recruits? Yes.

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

York Tiger "Get's it".

Nov 28, 2014, 11:32 AM

pts

SMU is a "Gimmie" in Coaching if it doesn't work out

Nov 28, 2014, 11:46 AM

You can only improve your situation. If he can get them to a couple of bowls he will have proven his worth and will get a good HC gig...If not he will become another very well paid Coordinator.

No body will hold an SMU failure against him anymore than Mike Leach's struggles at Wash State...Some programs just aren't going to make the cut.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

His system has been exposed without NFL talent

Nov 28, 2014, 11:46 AM

Unless Boyd and Sammy go to SMU with him, I see him flaming out in 4-5 years

SMU has DEEP pockets

Nov 28, 2014, 11:58 AM

it just depends if they truly want to make football a priority again and if those deep pocketed boosters can do so within NCAA boundaries this time.

Nov 28, 2014, 12:07 PM

I am a Clemson Alumni. I live in Austin. There is A Clemson Club here, in Dallas, and Houston. Chad was born in Longview Texas. He coached at Lake Travis High in Austin. Taking the SMU job will be like returnig home for him. Dallas is a great place to live with the big money that he will get. Clemson or any ACC schools get few players from Texas. Texas players go primarily to SEC and Big 12 schools. So Chad will get his share of blue chip players for SMU. I don't want to see him go, but I see why he will take the job.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic