Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who is an all time great RB that ETN remind you of?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

Who is an all time great RB that ETN remind you of?

May 30, 2019, 9:18 PM

I came across this video on Youtube, and it blew my mind that I immediately realized that ETN runs just like Bo Jackson, except, ETN appears to hit the hole at the line of scrimmage just a tad bit quicker... it could be that the old film just didn't play at the same speed as it did over 30 years ago, but their bursts to daylight, the forward lean in traffic and the quicks to outrun almost any angle even in the run gaps is uncanny to me. Check out this video of Bo Jackson and then watch the second video of ETN and state if this is ETN's closest comparison or is there another... if ETN got the carries of Bo Jackson, there's no doubt he would be as decorated as Bo...

https://youtu.be/-RjFR-3GTRU

https://youtu.be/P3Ro1wnAXjo

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bo was way bigger than ETN. ETN more like Gale Sayers.***

May 30, 2019, 9:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His ability to keep his feet after contact

May 30, 2019, 9:35 PM

Reminds me of Emmitt Smith...albeit a faster version.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: His ability to keep his feet after contact

May 30, 2019, 11:06 PM

Not even similar in any way.

Re: His ability to keep his feet after contact

Jun 1, 2019, 12:05 AM [ in reply to His ability to keep his feet after contact ]

I feel like these comparisons never work out . Each way they might be similar to one guy they're dissimilar in about as many ways.
Etienne is a special player and I am glad he chose Clemson to football .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I don't recall ANY back that runs like him. He just seems

May 30, 2019, 9:47 PM

very unique to me.

Has that quick burst of speed like Spiller, but that hard nose bust-you-first mentality like Gallman.

Re: I don't recall ANY back that runs like him. He just seems

May 30, 2019, 10:18 PM

yea more like the guy from LA, Travis Etienne

Re: I don't recall ANY back that runs like him. He just seems

May 30, 2019, 11:20 PM [ in reply to I don't recall ANY back that runs like him. He just seems ]

+1

Agreed. He might be the best combination of speed and power

May 31, 2019, 3:20 AM [ in reply to I don't recall ANY back that runs like him. He just seems ]

I have ever seen. He pulls up on you like spiller then delivers a blow like Raymond Priester.

We have had some special backs here but ETN might realistically be our best ever.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who is an all time great RB that ETN remind you of?

May 30, 2019, 9:58 PM

To early to call Zeke an all time great but he reminds me of him

May 30, 2019, 10:32 PM

Barry Sanders

^This

May 30, 2019, 11:08 PM

Very similar in size and build. One cut and gone. Makes guys miss. Ability to break arm tackles and bounce off of or spin away from would-be tacklers. Not a perfect comparison, but a lot of similarities.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

ETN isn't a dancer or a juker like Barry Sanders.

May 30, 2019, 11:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Who is an all time great RB that ETN remind you of? ]

Barry made people look stupid, ETN just runs past them (and occasionally through them).

More like Earl Campbell. Can run around you or through you***

May 31, 2019, 12:26 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's like Barry Sanders with HUGE NUTS. No jukes or

May 31, 2019, 3:22 AM [ in reply to ETN isn't a dancer or a juker like Barry Sanders. ]

Hesitation

Re: ETN isn't a dancer or a juker like Barry Sanders.

May 31, 2019, 3:35 AM [ in reply to ETN isn't a dancer or a juker like Barry Sanders. ]

ETN doesn't dance like Barry, but he can change direction like no other back in CFB today that I can think of. He's not showy like Sanders. But I think he's using his ability to change direction in much the same way.

May 30, 2019, 11:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Who is an all time great RB that ETN remind you of? ]

Not even remotely similar in any way. Jeez. You might as well say that Lamar Jackson reminds you of Joe Montanta.

Yep....***

May 31, 2019, 8:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Who is an all time great RB that ETN remind you of? ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Barry Sanders is my #1 of all time

Jun 3, 2019, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Who is an all time great RB that ETN remind you of? ]

But Barry was so elusive that I didn't make that comparison but both impact the game with chunk yardage for sure!

May 30, 2019, 11:05 PM

He reminds me of a poor man's Bo Jackson. I have posted similar runs by them in the past. Bo was just bigger, stronger, and faster. They are similar though in many ways.

Not so sure BO was faster or stronger. we haven't even seen

May 31, 2019, 3:44 AM

ETN's junior year yet.

Love some ETN. He and Terry Allen are the best pure RB’s

May 31, 2019, 4:02 AM

I’ve seen at Clemson.

But ETN is not stronger than Bo Jackson. Bo was huge. Just a freak of an athlete. H e l l he could hit a baseball 500 plus feet and then break the bat over his knee. That’s not typical

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

I dunno bro. Never seen ETN try and break a baseball bat

May 31, 2019, 4:33 AM

He's more of a hybrid of spiller and Bo I think.

Re: Not so sure BO was faster or stronger. we haven't even seen

May 31, 2019, 5:28 AM [ in reply to Not so sure BO was faster or stronger. we haven't even seen ]

Bo was faster and stronger. ETN will never be like that. Bo Jackson was one of a kind. Bo is one of the fastest ever to play in the NFL. He ran a hand timed 4.13 forty. He was also bigger and stronger than ETN will ever be. Bo was 6ft 1, 230lbs. There will never be another Bo Jackson.

Re: Not so sure BO was faster or stronger. we haven't even seen

May 31, 2019, 10:46 AM [ in reply to Not so sure BO was faster or stronger. we haven't even seen ]

Bo is the reason that baseball players now lift weights.

Until everyone saw what he did, lifting for football and then still being smooth on the baseball field, people thought that baseball players should not lift weights.

I love ETN but nothing about his level of strength would make others think that they need to implement weightlifting for their entire sport.

I'm under the impression that nobody should be compared to Bo Jackson. It is a horrible shame that his unbelievable strength allowed him to pull his own hip out of place and essentially end his career.

His career ending injury may be the most telling account of his strength and power and it prevented us from seeing a long career from most likely the best athlete ever.

Bo was like 6-1 225-230 and would likely run in the

May 31, 2019, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Not so sure BO was faster or stronger. we haven't even seen ]

4.2s with modern laser timing. The amazing thing about Bo Jackson is that we STILL really haven't seen an athletic freak of his nature. Think about how William Perry was regarded in the 80s. He had a combination of size and agility that had basically never been seen before in football, but now you see guys like that all of the time. With modern S&C programs, nutritionists, etc you would expect even better athletes to appear, but there still hasn't been another Bo Jackson.

You see the same things that I see but in a smaller package

Jun 3, 2019, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Who is an all time great RB that ETN remind you of? ]

I only was pointing out similarities in style, although I do believe that ETN could run for 2000 yards if the offense was set up for him to get 250-275 carries. That would also set him up for all of the RB awards as well...

May 30, 2019, 11:17 PM

Respectfully, I must disagree as Bo was a monster with speed. If he had concentrated solely on football and not been run into the dirt all those years, he might have been among the best all time. Feet to the fire, if I had to compare ETN to anyone, Robert Smith had that same game breaking ability as Travis.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mine wasn't a comparison, only a view of similarities of how

Jun 3, 2019, 12:47 PM

they both run; decisive, one cut to hit the hole and out run everybody else because those first 2-3 steps are faster than anyone will ever realize. both of those guys would be nearly at full speed coming through the hole, so unless the hole is filled perfectly, arm tackles don't work...

May 31, 2019, 12:18 AM

ETN is as unique a runner I think I have ever seen. His combo of speed and balance is incredible, seems to be made of rubber.

Don’t believe he is considered an all time great but he reminds me of Chris Johnson. Both fast, shifty when needed and break arm tackles for long gains.

May 31, 2019, 12:26 AM

Nah....ETN has the running style of a bulkier Marshall Faulk with none of the ability out of the backfield.

May 31, 2019, 6:00 AM

Good comp

May 31, 2019, 9:19 AM

A faster Roger Craig IMO...I time stamped the video to a run at 2min 2sec and we've seen Travis make that same type of run.

I say Roger Craig because of how they both make a decisive cut and run but will lower a shoulder and seem to bounce off of a tackler and keep going forward. They both seem like their legs a moving wildly with focus.

https://youtu.be/pQt6KjjzqYo?t=122

Message was edited by: Lurking Tiger803®

Message was edited by: Lurking Tiger803®

May 31, 2019, 5:18 AM

A lot of great comparisons but to me he is a combination of Spiller and James Davis with the speed and toughness. Still wondering how LSU let him out of Louisiana. Glad they did.

May 31, 2019, 5:15 AM

That RB that played for Jacksonville for all those years. The muscle hamster.

May 31, 2019, 12:16 PM

You mean Doug Martin? He played for Tampa Bay. He couldn't hold Etienne's jock strap BTW... You break wind near Doug Martin and he's going down.

May 31, 2019, 1:03 PM

I guess he's talking about Maurice Jones Drew-

Bobby Booshay***

May 31, 2019, 5:47 AM

May 31, 2019, 7:22 AM

Tony Dorsett

May 31, 2019, 10:51 AM

I'm not sure who to compare with ETN but in my opinion ETN's balance is his defining characteristic.

He is hit and stopped sometimes but continues runs, not because of his strength but because he never seems to lose his balance and fall down.

Defenders only get him to the ground if they never let go. Any hit that doesn't hold on results in a missed tackle.

What I'm excited about is that I saw some of this, not quite to the same level, in Lynn J.

Similarly he seemed to absorb hits and keep his balance on many of his limited carries. The biggest difference was that he lacked some of the strength to make people let go. I hope he makes a similar jump to what ETN did from freshman to sophomore and can carry the weight of the backup role.

May 31, 2019, 11:27 AM

First name that comes to mind when comparing ETN with the greats is LaDainian Tomlinson. LT had a similar combination of speed, shiftiness, and power. LT was, however, used more in the passing game than ETN has been to this point.

Also like the comparison above with Tony Dorsett.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!!

May 31, 2019, 12:09 PM

I like this! Hard to compare to anybody tho he is just so different.

He doesn't remind me a whole lot of anyone which i

May 31, 2019, 11:45 AM

think is pretty cool. Most guys with his type of speed are really elusive, but not powerful. ETN isn't too elusive, but he's a lot stronger than he looks, especially in his lower body, and is good at breaking tackles. He's also much, much quicker through the hole than most speed backs who can sometimes be indecisive and prone to dancing a bit. That is certainly effective for some guys (Barry Sanders, Saquon Barkley), but it isn't really ETN's style. He almost never gets tackled behind the line of scrimmage and I'm not sure i can even recall one example of him reversing field behind the line of scrimmage. He will bounce runs outside, but he doesn't run around looking to make something out of nothing. If he has nothing he just barrels into nothing and gains a yard.

I think he runs more like a power back, but with elite homerun speed, and I'm struggling to think of famous comps. Maybe there were some 70s or early 80s NFL guys like that were a little before my time.

I guess Bo Jackson really is a pretty good comp, but Bo was bigger, stronger, and probably faster.

May 31, 2019, 12:05 PM

Reminds me of sweetness but with a quicker burst.

+1 for posting! I had forgotten just how fast he was! He

May 31, 2019, 1:18 PM

just flat out ran off and left most defenders! He was fun to watch!

I would love to see Bo, Deon and Darrell Green

Jun 3, 2019, 1:12 PM

run laser times when they were at their peak...

Enjoyed the videos. Think Jackson was bigger than TE and

May 31, 2019, 1:43 PM

also may have been faster. But when you compare favorably with Bo Jackson, you are special!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really wasn't making a comparison, just noting the

Jun 3, 2019, 1:16 PM

similarities in how they run; decide quickly where to go, one cut and nearly at full speed coming out of the hole that would eliminate angles from DBs and would just flat out run everybody pulling away...

no way would I ever compare ETn to Bo, but to me ETN has similar traits which is exciting if they give him the ball 250 times this year...

Joe Montana.

May 31, 2019, 8:55 PM

Right?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

??????***

Jun 3, 2019, 1:17 PM

Nope. Love ETN, but NO!***

Jun 1, 2019, 10:33 AM

I'm not comparing them but ETN does run similarly to Bo

Jun 3, 2019, 1:24 PM

they both make quick decisions where to go, make that one cut to get there and are nearly at full speed coming out of the gap... by the time a DB flips his hips to run, ETN has eliminated the angle and is gone...

Jun 3, 2019, 12:41 PM

I was thinking Walter "Sweetness" Payton, but someone mentioned Gale Sayers, and I think that might be the best answer.

when Walter finally got OLines that could do their jobs

Jun 3, 2019, 1:49 PM

he was a one cut and go runner, but before that, he would have to make something out of nothing and was always initiating contact if he was hemmed up. I spoke to him once and he said that some of those collisions didn't hurt as much if he delivered the blow rather than taking the blow, so, he was delivering the blow before the defender would get to him. I really enjoyed the convo with WP, he was a really genuine, grounded guy...

Jun 3, 2019, 1:21 PM

He doesn't remind me of any back because he has his own style but has great speed and now is breaking tackles.

He just keeps getting better

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic