Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Clemson ranked in Athlon's Top 10 for 2017
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

FB Update: Clemson ranked in Athlon's Top 10 for 2017

Jan 6, 2017, 10:35 AM

Clemson ranked in Athlon's Top 10 for 2017

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I don't know why people think Clemson isn't an elite team."

Jan 6, 2017, 10:42 AM

Is what I hear all the analyst saying. Well, this is a prime example. Six 10 win seasons in a row and back to back National Championship appearances yet we're not even a top 5 team next year? Give me a break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCVR_ajL_Eo

Re: "I don't know why people think Clemson isn't an elite team."

Jan 6, 2017, 11:51 AM

Why are we worried about this at all? Kind of like saying we will have snow this time next year. It doesn't matter.

What?

Jan 6, 2017, 12:36 PM [ in reply to "I don't know why people think Clemson isn't an elite team." ]

Virtually any elite program outside of Nick Saban Alabama is going to have seasons where they have to reload and start outside of the top 5. Ohio State started 6th in the AP this year. FSU started 10th two years ago after having their ~30 game winning streak snapped in the playoff the year before. It happens.

LAUGHABLE!!!

Jan 6, 2017, 10:43 AM

WAY TO GO ATHLON, YOU CHIT THE BED! Ranking Ohio State ahead of us (who we just THUMPED), Oklahoma who we thumped TWICE (once WITHOUT DW4), and WASHINGTON!!!!!!

Re: LAUGHABLE!!!

Jan 6, 2017, 10:46 AM

This just shows that we are still not respected. So glad this came out before Monday. You gotta know that those underclassman see this and will have something to prove Monday night. Go Tigers. See you in Tampa!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2017, 11:16 AM

No disrespect, but you seriously think our players are looking up preseason rankings from Athlon right now? And even if they are, you seriously think they are somehow going to play even better because of this because I suppose winning a national title isn't motivation enough?

YES***

Jan 6, 2017, 1:42 PM

Jan 6, 2017, 10:57 AM [ in reply to LAUGHABLE!!! ]

I think OhioSt is losing their 2 best defensive players as well Safety and LB.

Re: FB Update: Clemson ranked in Athlon's Top 10 for 2017

Jan 6, 2017, 10:47 AM

Lol at OSU being #2. Our defense just thumped them and we are returning most of them. Offense shouldn't miss to much of a beat.

Jan 6, 2017, 11:00 AM

DW4 will be missed. FSU and UL return QBs and talent, NCSt returns 18 starters and they almost beat us this year at Clemson. Auburn will be better next year but we get them at Clemson. We might lose 2 of those games next year.

I agree with Athlon's Top 10 for 2017....

Jan 6, 2017, 10:53 AM

It's WAY too early.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2017, 10:57 AM

Why does this offend you all so much? We are losing a huge chunk of our offense. We will reload at most of those positions, but losing Deshaun Watson is enough that it should knock us down a few spots to start the year, it's that simple.

Jan 6, 2017, 11:01 AM

Losing six spots is more than "losing a few".

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2017, 11:10 AM

Well we lose our best player ever, along with two of our all time best receivers, a very good running back, an all acc corner, and the leader of our defense. Dropping down to 8th isn't disrespect at all with those things considered.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Thank you. Why are y'all so butt hurt?

Jan 6, 2017, 12:24 PM

It's an unofficial poll for a season that doesnt even start for 8 months. Seriously DW, A. Scott, MW, Gallman, Leggett and Crowder. On D, Watkins, Boulware, Tankersly. Losing all of those weapons on the offense, i wouldnt be diaappointed with #8

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2017, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson ranked in Athlon's Top 10 for 2017 ]

Alabama lost their starting QB and starting RB the last year but came into the season #1. I understand they've got a ton of championships so it's easy to give them the benefit of the doubt but we've been incredibly consistent over the past 5-6 years as well. We deserve to be in the top 5 at the very least, PERIOD!!!

Jan 6, 2017, 11:38 AM

Bama's quarterback last year was average and is most years, and wasn't even close to being the strength of their team. Clemson has been consistent over the last several years, but even that has produced only 1 top 5 finish prior to this year. Bama losses a ton of players ever year, and yet they have finished in the top 5 in 5 of the last 8 years, and in the top 10 in 8 straight years before this one while winning a NC in 4 out of the last 7 years so it's not exactly the same thing. This ranking still has us at #8 for goodness sakes. It's not as if they have us ranked 20th or something.

Jan 7, 2017, 1:32 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson ranked in Athlon's Top 10 for 2017 ]

I'm not offended. I actually like it. Dabo is a master as using things like this to motivate the team. We should WANT polls to ranks us lower than we deserve.

But, do you think Alabama would ever drop like that with the loss of a "Deshaun Watson" type QB. They would brag about all of the high ranking recruits ready to step in and take his place. Well look at the high ranking recruits WE have lined up to replace Watson, Gallman, and Williams.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2017, 11:11 AM

This puts us in the hunter position again. We played a little tight in the hunted position. It'll all be settled on the field. Go Tigers!!

Jan 6, 2017, 11:14 AM

We're losing the best quarterback in the country and don't even know for sure yet who his replacement will be, our starting running back for the past 3 years, one of the best tight ends in the country, the best receiver in the country, our all-time leading receiver, our starting center, our best corner, our best safety, and our best linebacker among others and you all think it's disrespect to have us ranked inside of the top 10? I think it speaks for the thought of our program as being elite that the media would still consider us as a top 10 team with all of those losses.

Alabama lost pretty much the same positions last year...

Jan 6, 2017, 11:36 AM

And they were pre-season #1.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: Alabama lost pretty much the same positions last year...

Jan 6, 2017, 12:03 PM

Bama losses that much pretty much every single year, and they have won 4 of the last 7 national titles, and finished in the top 10 for 8 straight seasons while finishing in the top 5 in 5 of the last 7 years prior to this one. Clemson has finished in the top 5 only once during that time which was last season. Clemson has shown to be a consistent top 10 team over the last several and thus they are getting the benefit here and still getting a top 10 ranking. If they do what Bama has done over a period of time like that then they would also likely be a preseason top 5 team in this situation.

We're not Alabama

Jan 6, 2017, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Alabama lost pretty much the same positions last year... ]

At least not yet.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

And they've proved numerous times they can do that and still

Jan 6, 2017, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Alabama lost pretty much the same positions last year... ]

win. Including this year. They are the exception to the rule.

Jan 6, 2017, 11:42 AM

Wow. Do y'all realize preseason rankings that come out even before the natty has been played is based purely off of what you have coming back? The productivity that you're returning? We are losing a lot (supposedly) on offense. What did y'all expect? Preseason #1? I don't think so. And before y'all go calling me a "coot" I was born 22 years ago with orange in my blood but I'm a realist.

Jan 6, 2017, 1:12 PM

Only one ESecPN in the mix.

and big ten overhyped, again.***

Jan 6, 2017, 1:57 PM

ESPN is ready to declare Southern Cal 2017 natty champs

Jan 7, 2017, 1:25 AM

There's no reason to play the season really. Just give the Trojans the trophy and everyone go home.

4 Big 10 teams in the top 10 LOL wish we could play all 4

Jan 7, 2017, 3:09 AM

that would be 4 easy wins

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agree with most but slightly different take

Jan 7, 2017, 9:45 AM

Laughable yes, way too early yes, means nothing perhaps. No butthurt here. But it does tick me off and speaks to narrative opposite of everything we've heard leading up to natty.

Pundits say CU here to stay etc etc. were they just blowing smoke? Seems to me they are. 1. We only have 2 pieces on offense to build around. No we have some stud rb's coming back, more wr than we were able to play this yr. mostly frosh and sophomore ol line... fast becoming not only wr u but on path to be qb u as well.

2. We'll be much more talented on D in our backfield. Lots of great pieces on d line. Unknown and perhaps a little dropoff at lb...

3. What's laughable is having 4 b1g teams in top 10. Butts kicked in bowls and acc dominated. As much as I hate to say but where is heisman winner loserville? If that was b1g r sec they 'd be preseason top 10.

Yeah it ticks me off because we should be top 3. If we were respected we would be a top 5 team where even if we lost a game next yr we'd stay in top 5.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic