Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I don't get the whole thing about the SEC having the SC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

I don't get the whole thing about the SEC having the SC

Dec 13, 2012, 6:41 PM

market. Do they think Clemson fans watch USUC games or vice versa?? Well, maybe the coots watch us because they are so obsessed with us.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My theory is.......

Dec 13, 2012, 6:45 PM

Everyone's kid I know that, well, lets just say, isnt the "sharpest knife in the drawer" ends up at USuC. That subset of kids is much bigger than the subset of kids that are going to Clemson. And, I think that the "out of state" enrollment percentage @ CU is greater than USuC (so I have been told - havent looked it up) - so, its just straight up math in SC.

Just my $0.02

Clemson has a regional market

Dec 13, 2012, 6:48 PM

We have fans in Georgia, NC, and MANY in SC! Anyone who thinks that Clemson doesn't bring TV sets to the ratings is stupid!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree. that's just crazy talking to think Clemson

Dec 13, 2012, 6:50 PM

wouldn't add to their TV audience.

We would definitely add viewers....

Dec 13, 2012, 6:53 PM

but not as many as the states of N.C. and Va. Apparently, that's all the SEC cares about. Very frustrating.

Do they really think

Dec 13, 2012, 8:45 PM

anyone in NC or VA watches college football?

Re: Do they really think

Dec 14, 2012, 10:55 AM

Doesn't matter. Only takes a handfull of viewers to get cable companies to subscribe to their network. That's what it's about. If a cable company subscribes to SEC network they will get like 10c per customer regardless of who actually watches it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree. that's just crazy talking to think Clemson

Dec 13, 2012, 6:55 PM [ in reply to Re: I agree. that's just crazy talking to think Clemson ]

> wouldn't add to their TV audience.

Of course Clemson would add to the audience. But not as much as UNC or Va Tech.

yeah gg...thats why DV holds 80,000 and the others 50,000

Dec 13, 2012, 10:30 PM

more coot logic

Delusional deluge.***

Dec 14, 2012, 1:09 AM [ in reply to Re: I agree. that's just crazy talking to think Clemson ]

Re: Maybe it would cause problems with scheduling times

Dec 13, 2012, 6:48 PM

of games?? IDK

I and a lot of other Clemson fans watch USuCk, when we're

Dec 13, 2012, 6:52 PM

not playing. We are watching them, hoping to see them lose. The networks know that. I wouldn't go there with your argument. It's pointless.

Re: So is saying the SEC has the SC market

Dec 13, 2012, 7:07 PM

Not saying I haven't watched the coots but I don't make it a point to watch them as I have no interest other than seeing them get beat.

If I have something to do when they play, I don't stop what I'm doing to watch them.

The reason I and many other Clemson fans watch them IS our

Dec 13, 2012, 8:30 PM

interest in watching them get beat.

Re: So is saying the SEC has the SC market

Dec 13, 2012, 10:09 PM [ in reply to Re: So is saying the SEC has the SC market ]

Congratulations you are the ultimate Clemson fan!

Greenville, SC provided the 2nd highest rating for ABC's

Dec 13, 2012, 7:02 PM

Saturday night college football broadcasts this past season, behind only Birmingham, AL.

Link:
http://fangsbites.com/category/tv-ratings/

ABC's primetime broadcasts aired no SEC games (only on ESPN, as CBS owns exclusive broadcast network rights).

Food for thought.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is interesting***

Dec 13, 2012, 7:10 PM

Re: Greenville, SC provided the 2nd highest rating for ABC's

Dec 13, 2012, 9:47 PM [ in reply to Greenville, SC provided the 2nd highest rating for ABC's ]

The Greenville area market is the #3 ranked market for college football

well, Palmettoson claims to have seen many, if not all SC ga

Dec 13, 2012, 7:04 PM

games this year

It's not about how many people watch

Dec 13, 2012, 7:16 PM

It's about how many people are in the market and may *potentially* watch. To that extent, the South Carolina market is already in the SEC's domain.

Re: It's not about how many people watch

Dec 13, 2012, 7:18 PM

Only if it is a per subscription price basis like the B1G.

In your world everyone would be fighting for BC and UCONN because of potential viewers.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Get ready for the B1G Network model to disappear moving

Dec 13, 2012, 7:37 PM [ in reply to It's not about how many people watch ]

forward. When it was one college league network, there were premiums. Now that everyone is getting a network, the subscription revenue aspect is going to change drastically. The numbers that the B1G is using to promote the additions of Maryland and Rutgers are based on what they were doing when they were the only game in town.

Cable operators are a tough bunch and the last thing they're going to be out there doing is running the cost up for subscribers and/or taking a haircut in order to get a college league network on board. There's only so much to go around and that wall is right in front of us right now. Ask Texas how their new network is working out in terms of carriage and sub revenue, in their own state.

What we're likely going to start seeing is cable operators putting the revenue burden on the leagues through in-network advertising and sponsorships. The more compelling the programming is, the more people watch, and the more advertising revenue there is. And that's just cable, which itself is facing its own challenges in the internet and satellite realm.

It's not about potential, it's about eyeballs tuning in. The carrier revenue models just don't work otherwise in the long run.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I pull for two teams

Dec 13, 2012, 7:22 PM

Clemson, and whoever SC is playing.

I watch every down of every SC game on the edge of my seat just like I do Clemson games.

Re: I as well, but I have no interest in watching them

Dec 13, 2012, 8:08 PM

unless I have nothing better to do.

Re: PS Living in Cootlumbia I have my fill of them

Dec 13, 2012, 8:10 PM [ in reply to I pull for two teams ]

on a daily basis. Dayum sure not going to spend my free time watching them!!!

Really, you don't get it? They already have their games

Dec 13, 2012, 7:22 PM

carried in South Carolina. If they develop a network, having one team in South Carolina is all they need to get the prime carriage fees. It's really not hard to understand. I wish it wasn't the business model of today's conferences, but it is. Just read about the BigTen's decision making process and you will see that these conferences are not about adding a state that is already in their footprint. Ironically, 30 years ago the craze was adding teams that were close in proximity for rivalries as well as packed stadium and large fanbases that go to each other's sites. That is not the case now.

I will give you a point for the last half of your post frien

Dec 13, 2012, 7:42 PM

friend.

I do not understand, nor do I care to , all the ins and outs of TV dollars and contracts and conference this and that. To me it all just seems so unnatural.

Just tee it up and lets go, whomever it is !

Clemson81to85 gets it.

Dec 13, 2012, 8:35 PM [ in reply to Really, you don't get it? They already have their games ]

If NCST/UVA is on same time as TN/ARK who would you watch?

Dec 13, 2012, 9:28 PM

Me i watch TN/Ark hence SEC has TV market

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Think I'd rather watch cars rust!!***

Dec 13, 2012, 10:01 PM

Animal Planet. (at least state had a winning record)***

Dec 14, 2012, 8:09 AM [ in reply to If NCST/UVA is on same time as TN/ARK who would you watch? ]

Tennessee/Ark? Yikes. Why would you watch that? ******

Dec 14, 2012, 8:22 AM [ in reply to If NCST/UVA is on same time as TN/ARK who would you watch? ]

null

we will never be in the sec! ******

Dec 14, 2012, 10:32 AM

we will NEVER, EVER be in the sec. we can wish,hope, pray,beg, borrow and steal and it wont make it happen. there may be an outside chance of chance of getting in the big but i doubt it because they want stronger academic research schools. if we dont get in the big12, we will be in the acc forever and it looks like our bot and president are in favor of being in the acc. but the big question is will the acc survive as we now know it, if the sec, big, and big 12 raid the acc of 6-8 schools?imo if that happens the acc cant survive. i think we have to hope the big 12 takes us. everyone agrees there will be 4 power conferences with 16 members each. the rest will not exist as we now know them.

Was this supposed to be a response to me? Because

Dec 14, 2012, 12:15 PM

it has nothing to do with my post.

For the record, I don't know that we'll never be in the SEC, but I'm not too concerned one way or the other. We're fine in the ACC. There's no reason to assume we'll go to four conferences. There's no need for it. It doesn't serve the fans or college football in general.

null

Re: Was this supposed to be a response to me? Because

Dec 14, 2012, 12:41 PM

This hardly helps Clemson make an argument either.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012/12/college-football-wrap-tv-ratings-for-almost-every-game-this-season/

Re: I don't get the whole thing about the SEC having the SC

Dec 14, 2012, 12:58 PM

It does not sound like you really understant the arithmatic here. The conference gets about 1 cent per cable/satellite household in a state if that state does NOT have a conference team in it. They get about 10 cents per household if the state DOES have a conference team in it.

USuCk already has SC in that 10 cent per household category for the SEC. They don't care who is watching what game on a given Saturday ... only that the potential for watching is there.

By putting an expansion team in a state that has no conference team, they put millions of new households in the 10 cent category and tens of millions of dollars in to the SEC TV contract. Adding Clemson in the state of SC would not produce a single penny of new revenue for ESPN, and thus would not enhance the value of the TV package to the SEC.

^^^This^^^***

Dec 14, 2012, 1:16 PM

Very true.

Dec 14, 2012, 2:13 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't get the whole thing about the SEC having the SC ]

Dec 14, 2012, 1:44 PM

Obsessed coots, eh?

Says the guy making a thread about SC, the SEC, and the "coots."

Oh, the ironing.

Dec 14, 2012, 1:50 PM

yes , I think Clemson people watch SC, and SC people watch Clemson. For different reasons ...obviously.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic